2020 Elections - A New Hope

Civics, civilly. Post lifetime is 6 months.
jjttdw
Art Expert

Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:27 am

IMHO it is time to take our eyes off the swamp that is the Trump presidency. Trump won in 2016 and may win in 2020 by sucking all the oxygen out of the room. P.T. Barnum is reputed to have said, “There's no such thing as bad publicity.” This is essentially Trump's mantra. It is time to shift focus to the 2020 election where we already have 15+ candidates declared. Who do you like and who do you not like and why?

For me, I will not support any candidate that would be 70 years of age when sworn in. Sorry Bernie Sanders, Joe Biden and Elizabeth Warren. Reagan was sworn in for his first term just before his 70th birthday and was nearly 74 when sworn in for his second. Its common knowledge his mental state was in decline during his presidency. Trump is the only other president to be sworn in after 70 and he is obviously not quite right. I don't think we need someone who is a handful of years past retirement stepping into one of the hardest jobs on the planet. To put this in perspective, if Bernie Sanders were a two term president he would be 87 when he left office. Most on this board don't even know someone that age. Anyone who does know someone that age, please chime in with whether you think they should be president.

My early support is for Kamala Harris.

As far as some of the positions staked out so far I wish candidates would stop with the Medicare for All. The ACA is the horse and Medicare for All is the cart. Lets keep the horse alive otherwise there will be nothing to drag the cart across the finish line.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:37 am

Don’t have much hope unfortunately. Trump playing this country and the electoral college like a fiddle. something drastic would have to happen to get him out of office. :(

Your age comparisons are pretty simplistic; worrying about how old Bernie would be after a second term is putting the cart before the horse. Reagan got shot. Trump was insane before he took office. Sanders in 2020!
hax0n
Art Expert

Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:48 am

I wouldn't get too excited.
ImageTrade Stocks & Crypto w/ Robinhood | Bitcoin Options w/ Deribit | Trade Alts @ Binance | Trade Crypto up to 100x Leverage @ BitMEX
electrachrome wrote:None of us who are responsible for this website really have any idea how it works
jjttdw
Art Expert

Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:56 am

I'll leave the age thing alone after this post:

Reagan's dementia onset was a function of age and not being shot and Trump was way less of a fucktard 20 years ago. If you think the mental acuity of a 79 year old is the same as that of a 59 year old you are mistaken.

Then lets look at the last 7 elections:

2016 - Clinton (69) v. Trump (70) - LOSS ( but won popular vote)
2012 - Obama (52) v. Romney (65) - WIN
2008 - Obama (48) v. McCain (72) - WIN
2004 - Kerry (61) v. Bush (58) - LOSS
2000 - Gore (52) v. Bush (54) - LOSS ( but won popular vote)
1996 - Clinton (50) v. Dole (72) - WIN
1992 - Clinton (46) v. Bush (68) - WIN

Democrats did well when running significantly younger candidates. When it is two old white men, or woman, running things will favor the Republican candidate IMO.

Oh, and that cut on Bernie's head that he said he got coming out of the shower.....I'd bet money that he lost his balance and fell like old people do sometimes. Beyond that, if you want a party's nomination, perhaps you should join said party.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:04 pm

Bernie ain't gonna get the nom anyway. I'd put money on Beto.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
jjttdw
Art Expert

Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:17 pm

Codeblue wrote:Bernie ain't gonna get the nom anyway. I'd put money on Beto.
I'd take Beto. His body movements when he speaks are a little unnerving.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:14 pm

waiting for Gorkie and MisterX to demolish this thread . . . .

That being said, as much as I like Bernie and all he stands for, I tend to agree on the age thing. I think it's insane that we let a bunch of 70 year olds run this country (in the WH and Congress and on the Supreme Court). Term limits, age limits, etc = I'm all for it.

And I'm not some wiseass Millennial, I'm closer to that age group and I don't think that in 20 years I should be dictating to the rest of the country how things should go for the 30 years after I'm dead.

Anyway . . . Right now, I don't really know who to support. I sort of hoped that Sherrod Brown had entered the race. I think someone like him teamed up with either Kamala Harris or Beto would have been a wide-appeal ticket. And still do. Kamala Harris is clearly impressive, but I don't think she wins you Michigan or Ohio or PA . . . and unfortunately, those states are key to the Electoral College.

I don't think Amy Klobushar (sp?) is my ideal candidate by any means, but I think she can carry a significant amount of women voters and middle-America voters. She's just a less obvious Neo-Dem like Hillary mostly, but I think she's got the kind of stolid midwestern calm that can really take all the dumb fudge Trump's going to spew and make him look foolish.

It's going to be a really long, hard, and probably, in the end, fruitless journey against a man I can't believe is president and probably going to be so again for 4 more years.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:30 pm

hunterjax wrote: It's going to be a really long, hard, absurdly expensive, and probably, in the end, fruitless journey against a man I can't believe is president and probably going to be so again for 4 more years.
Fixed.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:07 pm

^good point.
sixstringer
Art Expert

Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:08 pm

Codeblue wrote:
hunterjax wrote: It's going to be a really long, hard, absurdly expensive, and probably, in the end, fruitless journey against a family I can't believe is president and probably going to be so again for 20 more years.
Fixed.
Fixed.

Don Jr in 2024
Ivanka in 2032

https://www.newsweek.com/ivanka-trump-b ... nt-1378922
jjttdw
Art Expert

Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:33 pm

The dynasty presidential runs ended with W. Clinton and low energy Jeb showed us as much.

I agree on Klobachar on being able to handle the general campaign nonsense but I think most of the others can as well. Harris and Booker can definitely handle themselves. One of the many reasons HRC lost is she didn't energize the voters. Bernie certainly did more so than HRC. This cycle is going to require a Democrat to bring out people of color and young voters. It will an Obama level organization with regards to competence as well.
sixstringer
Art Expert

Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:15 pm

jjttdw wrote:The dynasty presidential runs ended with W. Clinton and low energy Jeb showed us as much.
When you're with Trump,
You're with Trump all the way
From your first cigarette
To your last dyin' day.

haven
Art Expert

Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:59 pm

IVANKA TRUMP IS BATTLING DONALD TRUMP JR. TO RUN FOR PRESIDENT, ‘HAS A HISSY FIT’ WHEN HE GETS GOOD PRESS: KUSHNER BOOK AUTHOR

When the drymount does dump jr get good press? Turd gets shredded every time he opens his mouth.
pj101ca
Art Expert

Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:14 pm

Does gorkie blow his brains out if trump wins a 2nd term?
mike123230 wrote:hahahah lawyers are stupid. boom. roasted.
cktbreaker
Art Expert

Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:51 pm

Kamala Harris was a big let down. Thousands of people lost their homes in CA from One West bank fraud of which Steve Menunchin was the director and beneficiary. The CA attorney generals office had over a thousand loan fraud violations against the bank, but Kamala Harris opted not to bring charges and Steve Menunchin became Donald Trumps treasury secretary. Looking forward to hearing Harris on the campaign trail bashing Trump for his horrible appointment of Menunchin the bank fraudster while using all the people she failed to defend as fuel for her argument.