America: The Trump Era

Civics, civilly. Post lifetime is 6 months.
gorkie
Art Freak

Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:13 am

Facts are hard.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. - Thoreau
@gorkieartdogma on Instagram
bubbie
Art Expert

Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:06 am

misterx wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:22 pm
Syrians ... the president they had elected ...
You are pushing the envelope a little on this one, dude.

The longest green line closer to the bottom is Hafez, Bashar’s daddy, who was elected and served the country for over twenty nine and a half years. He died in office, literally. I am not going to go and look up the exact numbers now, but if memory serves me right, the guy have never received less than 95% of the votes (I would guess the number is more like 98%, but I can’t recall at the moment).

The second longest is the green line at the very bottom that indicates the time served by the current president, Bashar Assad. Going strong for over 19 years now.

No one else in the entire country’s history (which is not that long) served for more than 4 years and change. And there aren’t that many who did so for that long. Here is a list from wiki (yes, it’s just a Wikipedia page, but it is more than satisfactory in this case, I believe).

So yes, someone calling Putin a dictator might be shortsighted, uneducated, call it whatever. Saying that this guy was elected by the people of Syria is, well... not sure what that is.

Also of interest is how elections work in Syria, who Alawites are, how they came to power and how they managed to stay in power for so long given they aren’t majority in Syria. The latter may help gorkie understand (luls. It won’t, obviously) why Putin is not necessarily the one calling the shots.
gorkie
Art Freak

Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:58 am

Chosen by God to lead us.
#stupidpeoplearestupid

Pope Says Trump 'Is Not Christian'

https://www.npr.org/2016/02/18/46722931 ... -christian
gorkie
Art Freak

Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:16 am

Ees a lincheen!!!

jjttdw
Art Expert

Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:39 am

misterx wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:58 pm
Its really not necessary to use such language.

Swearing is seen as the language of the weak-minded and has certainly contributed to the dumbing down of Americans.

You will be perceived as more mature, intelligent, articulate, polite, considerate and pleasant if you control your language and the emotions that typically prompt expletives.

You can choose to have character and class, or be considered rude, crude and crass.

Not easy, given where you are from, but something to work on perhaps?
Weak minded...tell you what...we can both sit for a proctored IQ test. I will spot you 10 points and the winner receives $250 from the loser. My guess is you would lose by a number exceeding 25.

Whether you see my post as crass or impolite is irrelevant to me and you are the only person on this board I can say that about.

So drymount off troll.

Again, it is so telling that you respond when told to drymount off but refuse to engage in honest debate because your writing style was called scattered. Something tells me it relates to the 25+ IQ points you are short.

Bashar al Assad being democratically elected and Russia bringing something good to the ME just shows that you are a Russian troll. So let me adjust my language above:

drymount off Russian troll.

Say something critical about Russia.....
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
sixstringer
Art Expert

Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:28 pm

gorkie wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:58 am
Chosen by God to lead us.
:hanging:
misterx
Art Expert

Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:41 pm

Syrias track record democratically, like all Middle Eastern countries, is poor. They all are. Look at Saudi Arabia. They still publicly behead in the street, weekly. Your biggest customers, militarily. No democracy there guys, but I never hear any complaining because all you do is mirror what Don Lemon tells you. And Don aint complaining about MBS and his bone saw. Only Assad ( minus a bone saw ...).

Under Bashar changes were and are afoot, just like in the ME countries. Reform. But you have to understand, whenever the US wants the oil of another country the pattern is always the same...

Convince the public that the leader of said country is an EVIL DICTATOR.

Words like butcher, thug, murderer, tyrant or despot are used to describe him because its easier to illegally attack a sovereign country when you've convinced the public how bad the guy is...likewise Venezuela.

Democratically elected leader is not the narrative you want being used when overthrowing a sovereign country. So you demonise it first.

In 2014, Assad won Syria’s Presidential election with 88.7 percent of the vote, in the country’s first multi-candidate election in almost five decades. In a country which had a population of 17,064,854 in July 2014 (according to an estimate from CIA World Factbook), over 10 million people voted for Assad. 73.42 percent of the Syrian population voted in the election, with voting only taking place in government controlled areas.

A group of international observers emphasized that the election was a valid and democratic expression of the views of the Syrian people.

https://tass.com/world/734657

Observers at the presidential elections in Syria are unanimous that the expression of people's will was valid and the polls passed in a democratic and positive atmosphere.

On Wednesday morning, observers met for a roundtable meeting at Dama Rose Hotel to give their assessment to presidential elections. Observers include members of parliaments from Russia, Iran, Brazil, Venezuela, North Korea, Tajikistan, the Philippines, Uganda, as well as representatives of Canada, the United States, Ireland, Pakistan, Malaysia and Bahrain.

Predictably, Western nations denounced the election as a sham and a fraud, with US Secretary of State, John Kerry, calling the election a farce a few months prior to it even taking place.....

No one is saying the man is a saint, but his people love him.

To the idiot challenging me to an IQ test shootout, with cash prizes......what a clown you are.

Happy to look hypocritical as I allow myself to call you a very intelligent ( 25 point minimum ) WANKER of note.

Congratulations.
War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.
gorkie
Art Freak

Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:30 pm

finneganm
Art Freak

Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:13 pm

I’d commission a print for the IQ showdown.
That's what she said
fredo
Art God

Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:18 am

“Tha Thanker in Sri Lanka”
just a foil for me today, thanks
sixstringer
Art Expert

Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:01 am

sixstringer
Art Expert

Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:02 am

finneganm wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:13 pm
I’d commission a print for the IQ showdown.
:lol:
mtarail
Art Expert

Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:17 am

Ambassador Bill Taylor biography facts (from his opening statement).

I have dedicated my life to serving U.S. interests at home and abroad in both
military and civilian roles. My background and experience are nonpartisan and I
have been honored to serve under every administration, Republican and
Democratic, since 1985.

For 50 years, I have served the country, starting as a cadet at West Point, then as an
infantry officer for six years, including with the 101st Airborne Division in
Vietnam; then at the Department of Energy; then as a member of a Senate staff;
then at NATO; then with the State Department here and abroad in Afghanistan,
Iraq, Jerusalem, and Ukraine; and more recently, as Executive Vice President of
the nonpartisan United States Institute of Peace.

While I have served in many places and in different capacities, I have a particular
interest in and respect for the importance of our country’s relationship with
Ukraine. Our national security demands that this relationship remain strong.
However, in August and September of this year, I became increasingly concerned
that our relationship with Ukraine was being fundamentally undermined by an
irregular, informal channel of U.S. policy-making and by the withholding of vital
security assistance for domestic political reasons. I hope my remarks today will
help the Committees understand why I believed that to be the case.

White House response, i.e. "alternative facts".

“President Trump has done nothing wrong — this is a coordinated smear campaign from far-left lawmakers and radical unelected bureaucrats waging war on the Constitution,”
haven
Art Expert

Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:19 am

Big luls at the flag shirt.
gorkie
Art Freak

Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:15 am

Bill Barr’s DOJ Engaged in Conspiracy to Defraud the US on Trump’s July 25 Meeting

https://www.emptywheel.net/2019/10/23/b ... 5-meeting/