America: The Trump Era

Civics, civilly. Post lifetime is 6 months.
User avatar
gorkie
Art Freak
Posts: 12927
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:28 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:46 pm

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. - Thoreau
Image
@gorkieartdogma on Instagram
User avatar
BlakeAronson
Flipper
Posts: 8318
Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:00 am
Location: Long Beach, CA
Contact:

Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:00 pm

bubbie wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:24 am
I feel like there is more of the same but don’t really care enough to look. Not sure if it is reading comprehension, selective reading, or lack of reading completely. Cool with me either way.
Don't need you to quote back everything you've said in a three year old thread with a 1000 pages. If you make ten posts and nine of them are supported by facts and logic, while one is garbage, people are still going to call out the garbage.

You may not even register on the same measurement scale as X when it comes to conflating Americans positions on things, but my statement stands after your post from just a few days ago.
bubbie wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:32 am
Another example of bullshit is exiting the INF Treaty and blaming the Russians, then Bolton saying that the real reason is China developing and deploying the banned under the treaty missiles and then testing one not long after dropping out yourselves and saying that the missiles will be deployed in the early 20s. Right?
8=====D~~~~
User avatar
misterx
Art Expert
Posts: 6562
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:35 am
Location: Yeppoon

Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:21 pm

mtarail wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:34 am

That's a pretty low bar, as no country has been seriously provoking a war against the U.S. since he was elected.
Image

Under Obama the US waged war with:
.Libya
.Yemen
.Somalia
.Iraq
.Syria

Which of these countries were provoking a war against the US, as you succinctly put it ??!!!

Since you were born( I have no idea how old you are...) how many countries HAVE been seriously provoking war with the US?


The answer is none.

Thus making your point moot.

Thats the lowest of bars, incidentally, seeing as you like to use bars to gauge things....
Jeez.



What do you guys think of the US made air defence systems, used in Saudi?

Heres my beloved Pres. Putin indirectly trolling Trump and the US ' defence system flops against $15,000 drones.
Incidentally, Saudi signed weapons deals with the US, according to this piece, worth $110 billion immediately, with a total of $350 billion over ten years....

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/20/us-saud ... visit.html

How's the emperors new clothes going?
War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.
User avatar
fredo
Art God
Posts: 25820
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:26 pm
Location: ENZEE

Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:35 pm

Image
just a foil for me today, thanks
User avatar
misterx
Art Expert
Posts: 6562
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:35 am
Location: Yeppoon

Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:34 pm

Not sure about the devil rejoicing, sonny....you ok?


But I'm very sure that the massive failings in the US defence system Saudi spent billion$ on has forced the US to HAVE to blame Iran, with its drone technology, or admit it failed to defend its head chopping Saudi ally ( America has a strange attraction for head-chopping types, you've noticed? ) against an aerial attack from the poorest country in the Middle East ie. Yemen and its 10x $15k drones.

That would be sooo embarrassing!!

So much for the Patriot missile defence systems or "state of the art" radar technology, bought from the pentagon.

Even the normally well behaved NYT expressed doubt..
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/15/worl ... on=topNews
“The satellite photographs released on Sunday did not appear as clear cut as officials suggested, with some appearing to show damage on the western side of facilities, not from the direction of Iran or Iraq....”


Like the emperors new clothes!
War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.
User avatar
fredo
Art God
Posts: 25820
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:26 pm
Location: ENZEE

Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:52 pm

ImageImage
just a foil for me today, thanks
User avatar
gorkie
Art Freak
Posts: 12927
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:28 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:13 am

Uh oh.

It sounds like Putin’s ass-MAGAt is off the rails again.

Deerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrpppp!
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. - Thoreau
Image
@gorkieartdogma on Instagram
User avatar
misterx
Art Expert
Posts: 6562
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:35 am
Location: Yeppoon

Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:24 am

fredo wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:52 pm
ImageImage
Image
gorkie wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:13 am
Uh oh.

It sounds like Putin’s ass-MAGAt is off the rails again.

Deerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrpppp!
Image
War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.
User avatar
jjttdw
Art Expert
Posts: 5942
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:45 pm

Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:28 am

Anyone see the irony in the fact that the technology from the drones that hit the Saudi oil field was likely developed from a U.S. drone captured by Iran?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran–U.S._RQ-170_incident

Then there is the idea that it is a false flag operation.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
User avatar
gorkie
Art Freak
Posts: 12927
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:28 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:41 pm

This is bonkers.

U.S. Corporate Debt Continues To Rise As Do Problem Leveraged Loans

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mayrarodri ... aa335c3596

Total corporate debt is actually much higher. Adding the debt of small medium sized enterprises, family businesses, and other business which are not listed in stock exchanges ads another $5.5 trillion. In other words, total US corporate debt is $15.5 trillion, 74% of US GDP. It is no wonder then that the International Institute of Finance in its Global Debt Monitor, has an ‘amber light for the U.S. corporate sector.’ U.S. corporate debt growing has been growing above trend, fueled by an increase in bank lending “adding to worries about vulnerabilities in the corporate sector.” According to the IIF analysts, “While declining borrowing costs could provide some breathing room for U.S. firms with high refinancing needs, this may not do much to improve business sentiment (or investment spending) given trade tensions and concern about earnings growth.” IIF; U.S. Business Health Index remains weak, “driven by growing reliance on short-term debt, deteriorating interest coverage and quick ratios (as a proxy for liquidity), and declining [Return on Assets] RoA.”

Image
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. - Thoreau
Image
@gorkieartdogma on Instagram
User avatar
jjttdw
Art Expert
Posts: 5942
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:45 pm

Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:04 pm

Question, who holds the corporate debt? Is it mostly bonds or are banks etc holding loans. I'd like to know because I'd like to sell said banks stock short in the next economic downturn which is right around the corner.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
User avatar
GoBluePanic
Art Expert
Posts: 2339
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:42 am

Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:21 pm

bubbie wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:15 am
jjttdw wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:40 pm
This certainly qualifies for Dick on Dick crime.


Trump fires John Bolton


https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/10/politics ... index.html

Guess he wasn't enough of a sycophant.

Trump also felt like Bolton wasn't a forceful enough advocate for him in the media -- and that when he did make appearances, he wasn't convincing enough, since it was evident he didn't believe in some of Trump's foreign policy goals, the source added.

Wait, Trump has foreign policy goals?

The positive side of the story is that the chances of war with Iran just went way down.
Best thing the dude did since he took office! Good for everyone. Yeah, he may replace him with someone nutty, but it would be hard to find a nuttier nut.


As for the China deal, I am with fin and blue on this. Chinese probably suspect that Trump may very well be re-elected. They probably passed their comfortable level a while back, just like the US did. Even if the next president is a democrat, they don’t know what to expect because no one is talking. Even if the democrat is willing to negotiate, would that negotiation offset the losses China is going to have over the next 1.5+ years? fudge happening in Hong Kong is not just an easy sitting out for the Chinese government, I am sure. My guess is if the deal is not signed before the end of the year, it sure will be next spring-early summer. Within the next few months is my bet. And no, I am not putting my five dolares on this.
You think China or its' people are becoming uncomfortable? That suggests you don't really understand the Chinese resolve. They will eat dirt for 5 years if it will pay off in 10. They are in it for the long game and will wait it out unless there are significant concessions by the US. History has shown Dems to be more likely to negotiate and work out a deal that benefits all of the parties, or even gives other countries a stronger footing than their own. There is absolutely no reason for China to blink before the next election, particularly when the effects are just starting to impact American consumers. The pain until now has been imaginary because Trump keeps throwing tax dollars at the problem areas.
I'm not someone else.
User avatar
GoBluePanic
Art Expert
Posts: 2339
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:42 am

Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:26 pm

bubbie wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:32 am
turnJBup wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:15 pm
Guess there is someone more gung ho to kill our troops than Bolton...
Honest question: when one signs up for service in the United States, do they not expect to be send to some “hot spot” with above zero probability of being killed? I mean it is more than likely that one would be a veteran before one is done with it. I am just wondering, doesn’t one expect to spend some time in a war zone?

Edit: Trump hasn’t started any of them yet, fyi.
No. Most join because they are convinced it may be the only way to pay for college or to develop marketable skills without going to college. The idea that they'd actually be put in harms way isn't much part of the conversation prior to joining.
I'm not someone else.
User avatar
gorkie
Art Freak
Posts: 12927
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:28 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:58 pm

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. - Thoreau
Image
@gorkieartdogma on Instagram
User avatar
jjttdw
Art Expert
Posts: 5942
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:45 pm

Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:15 pm

Who knew Robert Reich was skilled with a marker.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
Post Reply