America: The Trump Era

Civics, civilly. Post lifetime is 6 months.
plaink
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:34 am

dero316
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:02 pm

sixstringer wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:11 am
Majority of Americans support progressive policies such as higher minimum wage, free college...
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/27/majorit ... llege.html
[/img]

Paying for it
When it comes to paying for these proposals, Americans are not shy about supporting higher taxes on the wealthy but they balk when it comes to taxing themselves. Sixty-one percent back the proposal from Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., to tax wealth in excess of $50 million. And 58 percent back an idea, loosely tied to comments from Democratic Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, to boost taxes on the wealthy to 70 percent on earnings above $10 million. Only 46 percent of the public supports repealing the 2017 tax cuts and just 30 percent want to eliminate all deductions, such as for home mortgages and charitable giving.

However, in what looked to be somewhat contradictory findings, Americans also lean towards more free market and less government when it comes to issues like reducing income inequality and increasing worker pay. In fact, 37 percent of the public say that increasing worker pay should be handled by the free market, compared to 11 percent who say it should be entirely the responsibility of government. Thirty-two percent say it should be only somewhat the responsibility of the government and 14 percent say mostly the government.

On the issue of reducing income inequality, the preference for the free market beats a preference for the government by 30 percent to 14 percent. Only on providing health care is there more of a split, with 28 percent preferring the free market and 24 percent preferring the government.

Would be nice if they could just take a few million from all the rich folks who would never notice. Things would get paid for and nothing would change other than a few less yachts.
plaink
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:20 pm

https://www.axios.com/money-companies-i ... ntent=1100
A truly bizarre trend is having an impact on the economy — wealthy people and corporations have so much money they literally don't know what to do with it…

Companies could pay their workers more, but "that would be terrible for the stock market," says Neil Shearing, chief economist at Capital Economics — half-jokingly.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:24 pm

dero316 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:02 pm
sixstringer wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:11 am
Majority of Americans support progressive policies such as higher minimum wage, free college...
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/27/majorit ... llege.html
[/img]

Would be nice if they could just take a few million from all the rich folks who would never notice. Things would get paid for and nothing would change other than a few less yachts.
Or just take a few billion off the amazingly overly bloated military budget? That would seem even simpler and less "controversial." (Not saying I am against taxing the rich to the gills, but this just seems so much easier with no effect at all.)
plaink
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:25 pm

Big businesses paying even less than expected under GOP tax law

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/06/ ... aw-1364591

The U.S. Treasury saw a 31 percent drop in corporate tax revenues last year, almost twice the decline official budget forecasters had predicted. Receipts were projected to rebound sharply this year, but so far they’ve only continued to fall, down by almost 9 percent or $11 billion.
gorkie
Art Freak

Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:24 pm

Watch these 2 clips. I mean just watch.

There is no end to what this maniacal, pathological con man fukkk will do and say when cornered.

The "little wise guy" crack in the second clip is especially telling. This human shitstain is capable of any menace, any bad behavior, any animalistic backed-into-a-corner act you could possibly imagine.

People need to wake the hell up. It's astounding.

Trump Accuses McGahn of Perjuring Himself

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/tr ... ng-himself
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. - Thoreau
@gorkieartdogma on Instagram
BlakeAronson
Flipper

Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:55 pm

pvecchi wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:07 am
fredo wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:21 pm
BlakeAronson wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:50 pm
We'll have to disagree there, also Hillary was much easier to dislike, the same way I think Warren has a problem with being disliked, regardless of whether either deserved it or not.
I say this to my fellow Americans everywhere, all of whom will be reading this:
She's not easier to dislike - she won by 3 million votes. YOU are predisposed to disliking her, and so FoxDump Inc. took advantage of it.

That is the take-home and you should think long and hard about it, America.. Thank you all for listening ; your restraints should be loosened within 3 minutes.
Yeah, I agree Fox News and the GOP propaganda machine swift-boated Hillary. But saying people didn't find her easier to dislike, I'm going to have to disagree. There were large groups of people who tuned out (or voted Gay-J or Jill Stein) after it was revealed her and Wasserman-Schultz rigged the nomination with the super delegates so Hillary would get it over Bernie. That's kinds of dislikable for many people. That isn't even bringing up the Clinton history (many people *hate* Bill), or Hillary getting involved in Health Care back during the mid 90s (many people were turned off about a "President's wife" trying to enact regulation, "how dare she/what does she know/why should I listen to her") or the inherent misogyny that is still pretty rampant in American among both men and women (granted, most of that is from an aging demographic that still lives in the past). You might think that in reality those things shouldn't matter or (like me), but I think they did influence her "likeability"
Exactly this ^

I didn't dislike Hillary because Alex Jones told me she was the devil. I didn't dislike her because Fox News told me she was part of the deep state. I didn't dislike her because she was a women, nor did I think she was unqualified. I simply disliked her as a 2016 candidate when I had a choice to vote for someone like Bernie. This article sums it up well, https://www.npr.org/2016/05/23/47897332 ... ong-career

I preferred the candidate that had preached the same message over a very long career. Not the one that changed her tune many a time. As the article above points out, was it simply new information that allowed her opinions to evolve? Or was it a case of saying anything to be elected? I can't know for sure, but what I do know was the other guy was singing the same tune he always had, and I happened to like that tune.

Am I just some obsessed Bernie Bro? Not really, so far Pete would have my vote over Bernie if I were to vote today. And if it even came down to it, especially if I lived in swing state, I would vote for Biden or Harris or another candidate I don't actually like just to help keep the orange turd from getting another four.
8=====D~~~~
sixstringer
Art Expert

Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:16 pm

Natural Gas Is Now Being Referred to as 'Freedom Gas' by The US Department of Energy
https://www.sciencealert.com/us-departm ... reedom-gas

“Freedom Gas” Will Be Used to Justify Oppression at Home and Abroad
https://truthout.org/articles/freedom-g ... nd-abroad/

gorkie
Art Freak

Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:09 pm

misterx
Art Expert

Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:54 pm

fredo wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:02 am
Where are all the false flag nutbags? I mean, just the one here. #irantotesdiditamirite
I see you nailed this....a nice, early read on what's clearly happening.

Again.

War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.
fredo
Art God

Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:53 pm

I don't mean that you couldn't dislike HC on your own terms, only that she isn't intrinsically unlikeable (or "flawed" in that way) and that people chose the actual devil over her based on a formented prejudice. Being mad at the DNC aside, i don't see how you explain it otherwise, except maybe that spite is a powerful drug.

Ps tax the rich.
just a foil for me today, thanks
BlakeAronson
Flipper

Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:48 pm

fredo wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:53 pm
I don't mean that you couldn't dislike HC on your own terms, only that she isn't intrinsically unlikeable (or "flawed" in that way) and that people chose the actual devil over her based on a formented prejudice. Being mad at the DNC aside, i don't see how you explain it otherwise, except maybe that spite is a powerful drug.

Ps tax the rich.
There's no hope for the people that chose the devil over her for any reason, 95% of those people are going to vote for Trump again in 2020. I'm talking about the people in those critical states that stayed home because they weren't motivated enough to go out and vote for a small turd over the colossal turd.
8=====D~~~~
fredo
Art God

Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:02 am

Aka obtuse drymounts.
just a foil for me today, thanks
gorkie
Art Freak

Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:19 pm

gorkie