America: The Trump Era

Civics, civilly. Post lifetime is 6 months.
jjttdw
Art Expert

Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:22 am

From the video Kavanaugh looks clueless. So if he shakes the dudes hand....was it offered as a gesture of goodwill or as a means to try to start a gun rights debate? It was pointless political theatre IMO.

Kavanaugh will be confirmed. Not liking his political leanings as they pertain to the law is not disqualifying. I'm quite sure Republicans didn't like Sotomayor but she was easily confirmed. People who should be blocked are people like Harriet Miers who was lacking in qualifications and Robert Bork who was involved in Nixon's Saturday Night Massacre. The Court is going to shift to the right. Perhaps that will give Democrats single issue voters like the Republicans now have on issues such as abortion and privacy. But any way you slice it POTUS is tasked with SCOTUS nominations and the Senate evaluates the credentials and almost always confirms. Don't be surprised if someone like Roberts moves to the center where Kennedy was.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
desch
Art Expert

Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:40 pm

China eases economic pressure on North Korea, undercutting the Trump admin

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnew ... ncna906166

The Trump administration's much vaunted maximum pressure is now at best minimal pressure," said Daniel Russel, a former senior State Department official who oversaw China policy. "And that means a huge loss of leverage."

Trump's rush to meet with Kim — before U.S. and North Korean officials had time to hammer out a clear agenda or commitments from Pyongyang — doomed a relatively united international front against the North that had been painstakingly assembled, Russel and other former officials said.
“If we had had confidence that the president clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said so.”
“The Constitution requires a process other than the criminal justice system to formally accuse a sitting president of wrongdoing.” R. Mueller
gorkie
Art Freak

Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:14 pm

Maybe we need to send Rodman back on ova.

MAGA!!!

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. - Thoreau
@gorkieartdogma on Instagram
gorkie
Art Freak

Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:47 pm

kneel.JPG
fredo
Art God

Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:59 pm

jjttdw wrote: Not liking his political leanings as they pertain to the law is not disqualifying...
Agreed with about everything you wrote except this. Generally speaking I hear you, but the fact that Dump-under-investigation chose him is grounds for disqualifying. The GOP agrees too (in general) - they kept Obama, a sitting president, from his Constitutionally mandated last pick based entirely on political grounds. Even if you do buy the BS line that they just wanted "American voters to have a say", it was still a political move to the bone/by definition based on the premise that the President wasn't in a position to make it. It's nonsense in Obama's case, but here...?

I was talking with a friend of mine who teaches poly-sci and kicked around the idea of the next Dem president shrinking the court by the 2 appointed by Dump. It'd be a nuclear option and one that would likely be immediately undone by the next GOPer, but at least you're likely to have a semi-sane person in there at the time and you might just have control of the house or senate, or at least a few less alt-righters in there. You could even extend an olive branch by offering 1 of the next 2 picks (if you bump it back to 9) to the GOP. I don't love this idea in practice because it's reactionary, but that's what you're up against anymore. The Borg.

Any case, dude from Nebraska got it mostly right by saying that Congress has self-neutered by passing the legislative buck to the courts. I'd say that is 100% a GOP-manufactured problem but if taken to heart, the rule of law (and not judges) might someday prevail.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/ffe74124-8 ... 54166be543

edit: a few LESS alt-righters. mgmt regrets the error
Last edited by fredo on Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
just a foil for me today, thanks
samuraiwriter
Art Expert

Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:13 pm

fredo wrote:
I was talking with a friend of mine who teaches poly-sci and kicked around the idea of the next Dem president shrinking the court by the 2 appointed by Dump.
:rolling:
gorkie
Art Freak

Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:19 pm

Trump admin rejected report showing refugees did not pose major security threat
Hard-liners issued their own report that several ex-officials say misstates evidence and inflates the threat posed by people born outside the U.S.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/immigr ... n_20180905
fredo
Art God

Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:49 pm

samuraiwriter wrote:
fredo wrote:
I was talking with a friend of mine who teaches poly-sci and kicked around the idea of the next Dem president shrinking the court by the 2 appointed by Dump.
Right? All your unselfish work down the drain.
just a foil for me today, thanks
desch
Art Expert

Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:38 pm

Pass the popcorn... That Op-Ed is probably the craziest thing I've ever read from someone working in the White House at the time of the piece written.

‘It’s open season on the president’: Anonymous op-ed unleashes fresh West Wing meltdown

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/09/ ... -ed-808714
One senior administration official described a White House in “total meltdown” by Wednesday evening, after the president went on television to directly attack the author and the Times, an assessment corroborated in interviews with more than a dozen current and former White House officials and outside advisers.

The op-ed, whose author described top aides working to restrain a reckless and amoral president and Cabinet officials considering constitutional measures to remove Trump from office, landed a day after excerpts from Bob Woodward’s forthcoming book “Fear” quoted senior aides dismissing the president’s capacity for office — and on the heels of Trump’s exile from official Washington during the weekend’s funeral services for onetime Republican standard-bearer John McCain.
The onslaught capped a 10-day spiral that revealed a president at war with his closest aides — and the extent to which those aides believe their job is to stop Trump from exercising his worst impulses and doing grave damage to the nation.

More than any previous episode, the op-ed seemed to signal a shift from now-routine internal chaos and infighting to a gathering, and sustained, revolt against the commander in chief by those closest to him. One former White House official declared it “open season on the president.”
“If we had had confidence that the president clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said so.”
“The Constitution requires a process other than the criminal justice system to formally accuse a sitting president of wrongdoing.” R. Mueller
samuraiwriter
Art Expert

Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:50 am

fredo wrote:
samuraiwriter wrote:
fredo wrote:
Right? All your unselfish work down the drain.
:toilet:
jjttdw
Art Expert

Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:04 am

desch wrote:Pass the popcorn... That Op-Ed is probably the craziest thing I've ever read from someone working in the White House at the time of the piece written.

‘It’s open season on the president’: Anonymous op-ed unleashes fresh West Wing meltdown

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/09/ ... -ed-808714
One senior administration official described a White House in “total meltdown” by Wednesday evening, after the president went on television to directly attack the author and the Times, an assessment corroborated in interviews with more than a dozen current and former White House officials and outside advisers.

The op-ed, whose author described top aides working to restrain a reckless and amoral president and Cabinet officials considering constitutional measures to remove Trump from office, landed a day after excerpts from Bob Woodward’s forthcoming book “Fear” quoted senior aides dismissing the president’s capacity for office — and on the heels of Trump’s exile from official Washington during the weekend’s funeral services for onetime Republican standard-bearer John McCain.
The onslaught capped a 10-day spiral that revealed a president at war with his closest aides — and the extent to which those aides believe their job is to stop Trump from exercising his worst impulses and doing grave damage to the nation.

More than any previous episode, the op-ed seemed to signal a shift from now-routine internal chaos and infighting to a gathering, and sustained, revolt against the commander in chief by those closest to him. One former White House official declared it “open season on the president.”
It was Mike Pence.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/09 ... icial.html

Vice President Mike Pence – and “the field” – lead offshore bookmaking picks as the White House mole behind the anonymous bombshell New York Times op-ed blasting President Trump.

Pence was listed at 2-to-3 odds on the site MyBookie as the fifth column official who claims to be working behind the scenes to stop some of Trump’s policies that they find wrongheaded.

What tipped us off was ‘lodestar,’ “ MyBookie head oddsmaker David Strauss said of Pence. “When you search members of the administration (who have used that word) only one name comes up – and that name is Mike Pence. He’s used in multiple speeches this year.”
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
glenn1
Art Expert

Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:48 am

chalkdust
Art Expert

Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:28 am

drymounting just wow. Bravo Kamala Harris! :notworthy:
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:41 am

Meh. It was obvs trying to be a gotcha moment and didn't exactly work out that way. At worst, Kavanaugh comes off a bit Better Call Saulish with his caginess in dat clip.

P.S. the "protestors" are fuggin ridic.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
desch
Art Expert

Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:23 pm

Let the chaos get more prevalent. 2 articles from the same publication, who knows where this is really going. Whatever the result, it probably won't be good for anybody.

There’s No Coup Against Trump
American democracy is imperiled by Republicans enabling the president’s authoritarian impulses, not by self-aggrandizing op-eds from anonymous bureaucrats.
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... mp/569482/
The biggest open secret in Washington is that Donald Trump is unfit to be president. His staff knows it. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell knows it. House Speaker Paul Ryan knows it. Everyone who works for the president, including his attorneys, knows it. But they all want something, whether it’s upper-income tax cuts, starving the social safety net, or solidifying a right-wing federal judiciary. The Constitution provides for the removal of a president who is dangerously unfit, but those who have the power to remove him will not do so not out of respect for democracy, but because Trump is a means to get what they want. The officials who enable the Trump administration to maintain some veneer of normalcy, rather than resigning and loudly proclaiming that the president is unfit, are not “resisters.” They are enablers.

Congressional Republicans are the real authors of the anonymous op-ed.

The anonymous Times op-ed writer is no different. While claiming that they and other officials are “thwarting Mr. Trump’s more misguided impulses,” the op-ed provides few examples of this, and the author must know that the mere existence of their piece will only inflame those impulses. Already Trump has declared that “the Times must, for National Security purposes, turn him/her over to government at once!” If the president ever decides to issue unconstitutional orders to the Justice Department or the Pentagon, he and his supporters will point to this op-ed and claim that drastic action was necessary to “protect democracy.”

This Is a Constitutional Crisis
A cowardly coup from within the administration threatens to enflame the president’s paranoia and further endanger American security.
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... is/569443/
But what the author has just done is throw the government of the United States into even more dangerous turmoil. He or she has enflamed the paranoia of the president and empowered the president’s willfulness.

What happens the next time a staffer seeks to dissuade the president from, say, purging the Justice Department to shut down Robert Mueller’s investigation? The author of the Times op-ed has explicitly told the president that those who offer such advice do not have the president’s best interests at heart and are, in fact, actively subverting his best interests as he understands them on behalf of ideas of their own.

He’ll grow more defiant, more reckless, more anti-constitutional, and more dangerous.

And those who do not quit or are not fired in the next few days will have to work even more assiduously to prove themselves loyal, obedient, and on the team. Things will be worse after this article. They will be worse because of this article.