2024 Rotten Oscars

That's right folks! They're just giving them away!
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:12 am

I'll kick off the movie convo. Interested to hear about some of your favorite movie experiences and cinematic reflections of the past year.

I saw Killers of the Flower Moon three times in the theater and loved it each time. Just got better and better. All of the acting is superb, Robbie Robertson's score was my favorite of the year, and the camerawork's excellent. Another Scorsese masterpiece and my favorite movie of 2023. Rooting for Lily Gladstone and Robert De Niro. Special shout out to Ty Mitchell

I'm a sucker for a good culinary flick and The Taste of Things is a delectable arthouse foodie film. I loved the performances from Juliette Binoche, Benoît Magimel, and Bonnie Chagneau-Ravoire, and the calm, deliberate, sensuous direction from Tran Anh Hung. Despite being a picky eater who wouldn't eat most of the fudge they make in the movie, I know it will join the other culinary classics I often revisit like Big Night, Eat Drink Man Woman, Chef, Mostly Martha, Soul Kitchen, Tampopo, The Ramen Girl, East Side Sushi, The Hundred Foot Journey, The Lunchbox, Ratatouille, and Dinner Rush.

Wim Wenders' Perfect Days is my jam. Worth seeing in a theater if you have the opportunity. Kōji Hashimoto gets my vote for Best Actor for his portrayal of a quiet, toilet cleaner in Tokyo.

I love Godfrey Reggio's Qatsi Trilogy, especially Koyaanisqatsi, and when we learned that Once Within a Time, his first film in a decade (and another collaboration with Philip Glass), would play in Austin, but not Houston, my wife and I took a road trip. Austin Film Society got Reggio on the phone after for a Q&A. We really enjoyed the screening and after a nice meal, we drove back to Houston and caught a late screening of The Holdovers. Really enjoyed that one too. Paul Giamatti, Da'Vine Joy Randolph, and Dominic Sessa all do a fine job and I like the vibe director Alexander Payne achieves with the cinematography and the soundtrack. The movie (and the vinyl) will probably make the yearly holiday rotation. Memorable movie day.

Yorgos Lanthimos' Poor Things is bonkers and it worked for me. The script is fire, all the performances are excellent, and the movie makes its points without being overly preachy. I love the Gilliamesque look of the world created and have a hard time picking a favorite performance between Emma Stone as Bella or Lily Gladstone in KOTFM.

Thanks to Pizza Hut's Book-It program, I was devouring books in the 80s so I could devour personal pan pizzas. Everything from Encyclopedia Brown and The Hardy Boys to The Boxcar Children and The Babysitter's Club. This included some Beverly Cleary and Judy Blume books. I was pleasantly surprised by the big screen version of Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret. Kelly Fremon Craig did not get enough attention for so deftly bringing Blume's well-known book to life. Abbey Ryder Fortson carries the pic, Rachel McAdams performance is heartfelt, and the "we must, we must, we must increase our bust" scene was one of the year's funnier cinematic moments.

There was a lot of talk about Greta Gerwig getting snubbed for best director, but I think Kelly Fremon Craig (Are You There God?), Celine Song (Past Lives), and A.V. Rockwell (A Thousand and One) were all more deserving. Past Lives isn't a film I need to revisit often, but it's really well done. Same for A Thousand One, which completely took me by surprise. Teyana Taylor, you have my attention.

Pawo Choyning Dorji's The Monk and the Gun is a small film that probably deserves a bigger buzz. I really liked it.

My favorite animated movie of the year is Robot Dreams. I'm a sucker for New York movies (see Past Lives & A Thousand and One) and this mostly-silent film takes place in 1980's NYC. It's an absolute charmer and it plays well as the second part of a double feature with Past Lives. Looking forward to seeing it at Alamo in the near future.

The last film I'll shout out also takes place in New York and it follows a young graffiti artist; Story Ave directed by Aristotle Torres, featuring legend Luis Guzmán. I recall liking the title track that plays over the end credits and seeing it credited to Rome Streetz, but not being able to find it on youtube or anywhere. Decent little flick.

vster23
Art Connoisseur

Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:57 am

I really enjoyed The holdovers and Poor Things. Barbie and Oppenheimer were decent.
Zone of Interest was a powerful film. Anatomy of a fall was very interesting take on the murder mystery.
Killers of the flowers Moon was just ok for me. Perhaps if it was an hour less it would have been better for me.
Past lives needed more Drama. Just ok
Maestro - good acting but just ok to me.
My vote would be Godzilla minus one for best pictue!!!!
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:03 am

vster23 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:57 am
I really enjoyed The holdovers and Poor Things. Barbie and Oppenheimer were decent.
Zone of Interest was a powerful film. Anatomy of a fall was very interesting take on the murder mystery.
Killers of the flowers Moon was just ok for me. Perhaps if it was an hour less it would have been better for me.
Past lives needed more Drama. Just ok
Maestro - good acting but just ok to me.
My vote would be Godzilla minus one for best pictue!!!!
Hey vster23, thanks for chiming in. My biggest movie regret of last year is not catching Godzilla Minus One in a theater! Still haven't seen it and I need to get on that. Heard nothing but good things.

I agree about Maestro. Solid acting, but totally underwhelming. I wish it was more about the music and less about his personal life.
jvwoodford
Art Connoisseur

Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:50 pm

MonteAlderaan
Art Connoisseur

Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:12 am

Glad to see the ROs are going strong. This is the best slate of nominees in some time so I’m casting my votes and will tune in Sunday night.

Still have a few films to watch from 2023 but as of now, my top 3 of last year were:

Asteroid City
Poor Things
Anatomy of a Fall

Feels like everyone takes Wes for granted nowadays.
Last edited by MonteAlderaan on Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
binky79
Art Expert

Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:23 am

Picks submitted!

Heres my top 10 from last year.

@matma on Letterboxd
onesheet
Art Connoisseur

Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:54 pm

I'm happy to see the contest running again this year! Sunday is my son's birthday, so I won't be able to watch and play along as I usually do but I'll try my best. Thank you again to everyone who makes this happen year after year!

I'm a bit perplexed about some of this year's nominees, but as far as snubs go, the one performance I was surprised not to see widely recognized was Leonardo DiCaprio in Killers of the Flower Moon. It was such a significant and complex role - the film wouldn't have worked as well as it did without him.
ArchibaldTuttle
Art Expert

Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:24 pm

Yaaaasssssssss I’m so happy to see this thread, my fav EB time of year. Thanks so much for hosting, RA!

I am very, very far behind on my watchlist and I don’t have a lot of super strong opinions, but I’ll work on my picks tonight. Looking forward to the banter!

Let’s go with Weird Barbie, why not?

RottenAtom
Art Freak

Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:36 pm

MonteAlderaan wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:12 am
Glad to see the ROs are going strong. This is the best slate of nominees in some time so I’m casting my votes and will tune in Sunday night.

Still have a few films to watch from 2023 but as of now, my top 3 of last year were:

Asteroid City
Poor Things
Anatomy of a Fall

Feels like everyone takes Wes for granted nowadays.
Loved those Wes Anderson shorts on Netflix, especially The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar. I need to revisit both Asteroid City and The French Dispatch. There's always so much to look at in his films and the dialogue goes so fast that I've found his last few movies to be a little impenetrable on a first viewing if I'm not in the right mood or not focused enough on the plot. Even with Henry Sugar, I kept hitting rewind. I kind of like that he's going full Wes Anderson though and don't mind having to catch up to a movie or see it multiple times for it to resonate.

Anatomy of a Fall totally owns that 50 cent cover song now. It came on in a restaurant I was in recently and instantly took me back to the movie.

Good luck mañana! :pint:
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:51 pm

onesheet wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:54 pm
I'm happy to see the contest running again this year! Sunday is my son's birthday, so I won't be able to watch and play along as I usually do but I'll try my best. Thank you again to everyone who makes this happen year after year!

I'm a bit perplexed about some of this year's nominees, but as far as snubs go, the one performance I was surprised not to see widely recognized was Leonardo DiCaprio in Killers of the Flower Moon. It was such a significant and complex role - the film wouldn't have worked as well as it did without him.
Cheers onesheet and happy birthday to your son :pint:

I didn't realize that that DiCaprio wasn't nominated until you mentioned it. I thought he did a great job. Guess I better take a look at these nominees and get my picks in order...
ArchibaldTuttle wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:24 pm
Yaaaasssssssss I’m so happy to see this thread, my fav EB time of year. Thanks so much for hosting, RA!

I am very, very far behind on my watchlist and I don’t have a lot of super strong opinions, but I’ll work on my picks tonight. Looking forward to the banter!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

arkeiper
Art Enthusiast

Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:04 pm

Big Thanks to RottenAtom and everyone contributing. Cheers :pint:

My vote for snub of the year. Sound of Freedom was no Pulp Fiction level of snub, but was a better flick than some of the noms.
middayshadows
Art Expert

Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:44 pm

Wow , blink and it's the night before showtime!
RottenAtom wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:21 pm

Cheers,midday! :pint: What's left? What were some of your favorite movies?
Oppenheimer was the last one. I watched it that night. Sparing a lengthy review I liked it but might have like it more on the big screen.

Definitely have a few I'm very enthusiastic about though! Anatomy Of A Fall, amazing acting, dog and human alike. The Holdovers, I loved. And Zone Of Interest . Masterful, I can't say enough how impressive it is. But a very very difficult watch :shock: .
middayshadows
Art Expert

Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:47 pm

RottenAtom wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:05 pm
I really like Aleksander Walijewski's recent Poor Things poster....
Definitely agree! Couldnt budget buying it right now, but one of the more impressive posters of late.

Great breakdowns , RA! Going to have to see The Taste of Things.

Poor Things is tricky one: much of it I truly enjoyed and still ruminate over. But at several points while watching it in the theater, I found it's absurdism too much (or was it indulgent?) and I was taken out of the film. I give full credit to Emma Stone, as well as Willem Dafoe and Mark Ruffalo - their conviction to their roles ultimately sold the film, for me.
RottenAtom wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:03 am
My biggest movie regret of last year is not catching Godzilla Minus One in a theater...

I agree about Maestro. Solid acting, but totally underwhelming. I wish it was more about the music and less about his personal life.
One of my greater 'achievements' in a year I didnt make it to the theaters very much was getting my butt out to see Minus One. It was very very good, and I'm not a Monsters guy. It felt like a fresh take on a monster movie (ironic given it's setting and that Toho are the originators) with surprising artistic filmmaking sensibilities. In some moments I felt a bit like I was watching a Criterion film.
MJGallicchio
Art Expert

Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:56 am

jackietreehorn
Art Enthusiast

Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:42 pm

What are the rules again?

I always forget to make my picks. Thanks for doing this! I hope Zone of Interest get a couple of wins.
Last edited by jackietreehorn on Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.