2024 Rotten Oscars

That's right folks! They're just giving them away!
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:03 pm

I'm still waiting for the website to upload the show length and show the winner (not sure what's taking so long...)

Looks like jackietreahorn guessed 165 minutes for the length of the show and revmod guessed 222 minutes. I think the show ended right on time at around 210 minutes, so it looks like revmod will most likely be victorious. At the risk of some kind of Moonlight/La La Land fiasco, I'm going to go ahead and call it.

Huge congrats to revmod our 2024 Rotten Oscars champion! :clap: :clap: :clap:

rev, you make take the stage for your acceptance speech. Congrats on the come from behind victory to claim another Rotten Oscars! :pint: :notworthy:

with a score of 20/23 and the tiebreaker, revmod gets first pick of the prizes :clap:

with a score of 20/23 jackietreahorn gets second pick of the prizes :clap:

with a score of 19/23 onesheet ended up in third place and gets third pick of the prizes :clap:

jkw3000, binky79, Cottenmouth, and myself all scored 18/23 and will get the remaining prizes. If nobody objects, we'll use the length of the telecast to determine who gets the 4th, 5th, and 6th pick between jkw3000, binky79, and Cottenmouth, and I'll do a random number generator with all the Rotten Oscars participants to determine who gets the remaining prize.

Huge thanks to all of the prize donors and everybody who comes back each year to participate or cheer from the sidelines :clap:
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:08 pm

jkw3000 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:38 pm
Blah, tied with RA. HOW CAN I LIVE WITH MYSELF.
Failed in my attempt to avenge my loss to you last year, but I did manage to get midday so I'll focus on the positive 8)

Always a pleasure fellas :pint:
revmod
Art Connoisseur

Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:39 pm

My friends, it was a pleasure tonight, not just because I've somehow won again, but because for a change none of the winners made me angry.

Thanks to the prize donors this year, and to RottenAtom for always making sure the contest happens. I suspect the year I don't find this contest is the year I start losing interest in the Oscars.

PortThenheimer for the win! I'm excited to select the script books.
Drink like nobody's watching.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:08 am

revmod wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:39 pm
My friends, it was a pleasure tonight, not just because I've somehow won again, but because for a change none of the winners made me angry.

Thanks to the prize donors this year, and to RottenAtom for always making sure the contest happens. I suspect the year I don't find this contest is the year I start losing interest in the Oscars.

PortThenheimer for the win! I'm excited to select the script books.
Cheers revmod! That Emma Stone call was legendary. (Can't believe Killers of the Flower Moon got shut out)

It was an enjoyable show overall. I'm not crazy about the format of having actors wax poetical about the nominees (clearly using someone else's script), but I feel like there was a lot less to gripe about than in recent years. Happy for Da'Vine Joy Randolph, Wes Anderson, and the Poor Things wins (but I feel bad for Lily Gladstone).
jackietreehorn
Art Enthusiast

Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:31 am

Thanks for doing this and to cerebus. Like I said earlier I usually forget about the R.O.'s. Shouldn't I have gotten first place since Revmod went over like the Price is Right :lol: ? I would like the Repo Man poster. Coincidentally the main reason I remembered to enter this year is because of the Repo Man poster. This was the first alt artwork I ever saw for a movie, on the Criterion Edition, I had to find out more about the artist which led to an unhealthy hobby of posters.
I'm glad Zone of Interest won for sound design. That was crazy in the theater and provided a sense of dread over the whole movie.
jeffgriz
Art Connoisseur

Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:08 am

Congratulations to the winners! That was really fun. As a projectionist, I got to see almost all of these films. But it pales in comparison to the level of knowledge of the players on here. Your scores are amazing. Hope to see everyone back next year :)

Thank you RottenAtom for running this! Cheers!
cerebus
Art Expert

Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:33 am

Congrats to all the winners! Some exceptional entries this year - to get only three or four wrong with some of the surprises was amazing.

Many, many thanks to RA again this year for putting this together. It's really the best community event on eb in my humble opinion. Thanks again Adam. :clap: :clap:

And thanks to all those who donate a prize, and contribute to making this a competition really worth winning.

jackietreehorn - I'll reach out in a separarte message to get your address.

revmod - I'll be back for that crown next year. 8)
jettad
Art Expert

Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:04 pm

Thanks RottenAtom for organizing this, and congrats to the winners! :clap:
vster23
Art Connoisseur

Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:47 pm

Congrats winners! Thanks for running RottenAtom!!
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:38 pm

jackietreehorn wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:31 am
Thanks for doing this and to cerebus. Like I said earlier I usually forget about the R.O.'s. Shouldn't I have gotten first place since Revmod went over like the Price is Right :lol: ? I would like the Repo Man poster. Coincidentally the main reason I remembered to enter this year is because of the Repo Man poster. This was the first alt artwork I ever saw for a movie, on the Criterion Edition, I had to find out more about the artist which led to an unhealthy hobby of posters.
I'm glad Zone of Interest won for sound design. That was crazy in the theater and provided a sense of dread over the whole movie.
Well played jackietreehorn. Helluva showing :clap:

Glad you got the Repo Man! Huge thanks and shout out to cerebus for being an elite Rotten Oscars competitor, a classy champion and for donating multiple prizes over the years

Also, huge thanks and shout out to RPuzio77 for his amazing contributions (at least 5 posters in the past 2 years!) Really appreciate the spirit and generosity of so many EBers who make this a fun community event each year

Cheers to jkw3000 for the years of competition and friendly banter, the quick assists when I reach out for help with something EB related, and for the awesome prize donation this year

And to Aaron Horkey and THC for classing up the joint with the super exclusive NOTA (still curious who's gonna end up with that!)

Also gotta send a shout out to my longtime wingman binky79 for his super strong showing in this year's competition. Well played, Sir

As always, thanks to all the donors and all of the participants who come back each year and make this fun tradition it's become.

See you next year :pint:
Last edited by RottenAtom on Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:48 pm

rev chose the scripts, Jackie's got his Repo Man

onesheet gets next pick of the prizes followed by jkw3000, binky79, and Cottenmouth

I'll raffle off the remaining prize. Congrats to the winners! :clap:
onesheet
Art Connoisseur

Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:59 pm

Major thanks to RottenAtom for organizing this event yet again, and to all of the awesome members who contributed prizes. The Oscars wouldn’t be nearly as exciting if it wasn’t for all of you!

I couldn’t watch the event in real-time, but looking back, it appears that it was the Best Actress category that really made the difference.

I hated not voting for a couple of my favorites (Giamatti for Best Actor and Zone of Interest for Best Sound), so I’m not too bitter about predicting Best Sound wrong. Oppenheimer just seemed like the safest bet for most of these, even though I wasn’t its biggest fan (I think RottenAtom articulated my feelings on the film perfectly).

Congrats as well to all of the other winners - it was a close one!
Last edited by onesheet on Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
middayshadows
Art Expert

Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:13 am

I liked the show, thought it was a slick one, and had assuredness around itself that has been missing for…a long time. Several great moments.
RottenAtom wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:08 pm
jkw3000 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:38 pm
Blah, tied with RA. HOW CAN I LIVE WITH MYSELF.
… but I did manage to get midday so I'll focus on the positive 8)
:lol: :pint:

I zigged and zagged and second guessed myself waay out of contention instead of sticking with my gut picks. I’d like to say my dismal performance was an intentional laying of ashes from which I will rise next year, but…actually , nevermind. I’ll go with that.
RottenAtom wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:38 pm
See you next year :pint:
Now that’s what I like to hear! Thanks again for doing this RA , it’s become a big part of what I look forward to the Oscars for.

Thanks to the donors and your incredible generosity :notworthy:
hillsj2001
Art Expert

Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:36 pm

wow...i did not do well lol
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:01 pm

Had issues posting yesterday... The Mann NOTLD, Fitzgerald Halloween, and the Bermejo GONY have all been chosen. Here are your #s for the Florey Alien raffle:

1 Cerebus
2 ArchibaldTuttle
3 dol3
4 MonteAlderaan
5 vster23
6 MJGallicchio
7 printsandpugs
8 jvwoodford
9 arkeiper
10 jeffgriz
11 CSmiley
12 hillsj2001