2022 Rotten Oscars

That's right folks! They're just giving them away!
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:27 pm

Howdy, folks! The 94th annual Academy Awards are Sunday, March 27th. This is the 11th year of Rotten Oscars, EB’s annual celebration of cinema, created to help enhance the show and the weeks leading up to it.

You know the deal. Same rules, same site. Welcome to Thunderdome! :banana:

Rules

1. Make your picks on runyourpool using the link below. One entry each. Password: fidelio

https://www.runyourpool.com/join/pool_i ... &p=fidelio

2. Make sure your entry name matches or is similar to your name on EB. Must have 1 year or 100 posts on EB by showtime.

3. Post a picture, gif, or video of any Oscar winner, nom, or snub in this thread. Top 10 lists or pics of previous Oscar ceremonies are also allowed.

4. Picks and pics are due by the start of the show on Sunday, March 27th.

Prizes

1. Laurent Durieux The Night of the Hunter. Donated by binky79 :clap:

2. Todd Slater 007. Donated by binky79 :clap:

3. Joshua Budich The Shining. Donated by revmod :clap:

4. Nightmare Alley tarot cards and journal cover. Donated by Salty Winters :clap:

5. The French Dispatch "No Crying" desk name plate. Donated by Salty Winters :clap:

The winner, as determined by runyourpool, will get first pick of the prizes. If there are clear cut 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th place winners, they will get to pick from the remaining prizes. In the event of ties, drawings (random number generator) will be used to determine winners and picking order.

What were your favorite movies of the year? Favorite performances? What's underrated? Overrated? Who got snubbed?

Let's hear it in the comments. Thanks for playing and good luck! :pint: :clap:
dodgers77
Art Expert

Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:09 pm

Awesome time of the year, gotta start watching all the films and shoot my shot on a loss lol ! Great prizes this year !!
jkw3000
EB Team

Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:17 pm

35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
lebantz
Art Connoisseur

Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:11 pm

I love Wes Anderson and have watched every film of his except this one for some strange reason. It will happen but I think it was because I was so hyped for Isle of Dogs which turned out to be mediocre.
binky79
Art Expert

Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:17 pm

RottenAtom
Art Freak

Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:56 pm

Didn't really have a favorite film this year, but off the top of my head, I liked Drive My Car, The Tragedy of Macbeth, Coda, Licorice Pizza, Cyrano, Parallel Mothers, Riders of Justice, No Sudden Move, The Lost Daughter, Pig, King Richard, and Don't Look Up

Loved The Tragedy of Macbeth cinematography

revmod
Art Connoisseur

Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:42 pm

I always love a chance to enter this pool. It seems like the only serious movie people I've found are gathered at the wall art appreciation site. Makes perfect sense.

I'm seen so few of the serious contenders this year, though - I'm going to feel like most civilians feel about the Oscars most years. And still, I can't help but be ticked off about dropping categories from the broadcast. I really think they're selling the core audience down the road for a casual audience that isn't going to get excited about the broadcast anyway. Also, the best acceptance speech moments often come from those categories. I feel like we should run a side pool on which categories return to the broadcast next year (or how many more they drop). The Oscars are the ultimate Meeting That Could Have Been An E-mail, but where's the fun in that?

I know the site's pretty quiet these days, but I'm optimistic a few more are going to show up as the other award shows come and go and people are reminded.
Drink like nobody's watching.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:14 pm

revmod wrote:
I always love a chance to enter this pool. It seems like the only serious movie people I've found are gathered at the wall art appreciation site. Makes perfect sense.

I'm seen so few of the serious contenders this year, though - I'm going to feel like most civilians feel about the Oscars most years. And still, I can't help but be ticked off about dropping categories from the broadcast. I really think they're selling the core audience down the road for a casual audience that isn't going to get excited about the broadcast anyway. Also, the best acceptance speech moments often come from those categories. I feel like we should run a side pool on which categories return to the broadcast next year (or how many more they drop). The Oscars are the ultimate Meeting That Could Have Been An E-mail, but where's the fun in that?
Hey Rev, thanks for always participating and for your prize donation :pint:

There's a big conflict of interest between rewarding the best movies of the year and making the Oscars a show with big TV ratings. I've always hated how thirsty the Academy is to be relevant and to draw big viewership numbers. They're desperate and pathetic. Oscars day used to be my second favorite day of the year. I'd host a party, have the annual Oscars pool, and celebrate movies with family and friends. It was a lot of fun. Academy members didn't always get it right, but it was interesting to see what they voted for and things didn't feel so political or compromised.

I don't care much at all about the show anymore and the push to somehow get popular movies (superhero movies) into the awards conversation is especially annoying when Disney owns the channel the show is broadcast on and it's a clear conflict of interest. I'm also not a fan of quota filling and I feel like the Academy has pressure to try to represent everybody instead of just letting members cast their votes for their favorite movies of the year. I want everybody deserving to be represented, but naturally and not with all the "so and so got snubbed" entitlement and politics. This is the first year I was taken by surprise when the nominations were announced because I just don't really care anymore. They're losing true cinema fans who loved their show in an effort to try and rope in young casual movie viewers who just aren't invested in cinema.

Oops... I'm supposed to be the enthusiastic host of this thing :lol: :pint:
jkw3000
EB Team

Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:27 pm

RottenAtom wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:14 pm
revmod wrote:

Hey Rev, thanks for always participating and for your prize donation :pint:

There's a big conflict of interest between rewarding the best movies of the year and making the Oscars a show with big TV ratings. I've always hated how thirsty the Academy is to be relevant and to draw big viewership numbers. They're desperate and pathetic. Oscars day used to be my second favorite day of the year. I'd host a party, have the annual Oscars pool, and celebrate movies with family and friends. It was a lot of fun. Academy members didn't always get it right, but it was interesting to see what they voted for and things didn't feel so political or compromised.

I don't care much at all about the show anymore and the push to somehow get popular movies (superhero movies) into the awards conversation is especially annoying when Disney owns the channel the show is broadcast on and it's a clear conflict of interest. I'm also not a fan of quota filling and I feel like the Academy has pressure to try to represent everybody instead of just letting members cast their votes for their favorite movies of the year. I want everybody deserving to be represented, but naturally and not with all the "so and so got snubbed" entitlement and politics. This is the first year I was taken by surprise when the nominations were announced because I just don't really care anymore. They're losing true cinema fans who loved their show in an effort to try and rope in young casual movie viewers who just aren't invested in cinema.

Oops... I'm supposed to be the enthusiastic host of this thing :lol: :pint:
At this point I'm more enthusiastic about the game of guessing how it'll go, instead of the ceremony itself. Especially as it veers more towards wanting to be an entertainment product over actually awarding stuff to people who make movies, a form of media that's fantastic for its collaboration. Ah well. Just fun to have this bit of lightness with you SOBs. :pint:
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
ArchibaldTuttle
Art Expert

Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:04 pm

Yesssssss it lives on! My fav EB time of year. Lots of catching up to do with the nominees. Thanks much to RA and all the donors!
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:39 pm

jkw3000 wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:27 pm
Just fun to have this bit of lightness with you SOBs. :pint:
Totally :pint:
ArchibaldTuttle wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:04 pm
Yesssssss it lives on! My fav EB time of year. Lots of catching up to do with the nominees. Thanks much to RA and all the donors!
Tuttle! :clap:
jjttdw
Art Expert

Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:51 pm

I will go back 80+ years to a movie, cast and crew who got snubbed....The Wizard of Oz.

It was nominated for but did not win:

Special Effects (lost to The Rains Came)
Best Picture (lost to Gone with the Wind - a film that gets less and less relevant with each passing year)
Art Direction (lost to Gone with the Wind)

It was not even nominated for Best Cinematography for a Color film.

And the biggest snub of anyone or any film in the history of awards show is that Margaret Hamilton was not even NOMINATED for best supporting actress.

NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:52 pm

Nice jjtdw!

Another Wizard of Oz snub is Pink Floyd for best score :ziggi:

The show is a week from Sunday. Getchya picks in, folks! :clap:
onesheet
Art Connoisseur

Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:39 pm

Regardless of how entertaining (commercial) ABC tries to mold this year's ceremony, I think this year will be the first in some time where many categories don't have an obvious front runner, so it should be an interesting watch nonetheless.

Best International Film is probably one of the categories with the clearest front-runner (at the moment at least). Its original shortlist of 15 films is usually a wealth of riches, with films I would typically favor over most of the Best Picture nominees. Thanks to streaming or simply wider acceptance of subtitles, it's clear times are changing - as evidenced by Parasite's success and Drive My Car being nominated for Best Picture, it looks like cross-category nominations are the new norm.

So, when one of my favorite films of the year doesn't make the final cut of five, I'm quite surprised. In my eyes, this year's biggest snub goes to Asghar Farhadi's A HERO. A moral drama that has more twists, turns, and suspense than most mainstream thrillers. I guess this is just a testament to how strong the category is this year (I also loved THE WORST PERSON IN THE WORLD), but it's still a bummer it won't benefit from the additional exposure and acclaim.

Looking forward to another year celebrating/complaining/debating with you all!

PLUSH
Art Expert

Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:36 am

Dude talk about a snub, not even 1 nomination. :shock: