2022 Rotten Oscars

That's right folks! They're just giving them away!
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:32 pm

My favorite movie of the year by far was Pig, so it’s complete lack of nominations (while not terribly surprising) is a huge snub for me.
rubberneck
Art God

Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:51 pm

RottenAtom wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:57 am
Despite loving Blade Runner 2049 and most Denis Villeneuve projects, Dune felt like a big hollow spectacle and I just couldn't find much to like about it. I didn't care for the cast (enough Chalamet already... most punchable face since Eddie Redmayne) and I wasn't enamored with the cinematography, effects or score. (I honestly don't get why people like it so much...) I'll admit, I did not see it on the big screen, but I don't think a movie should require a big screen to be decent. Felt kind of like Lynch's Dune with a new skin on it and I prefer the Lynch version and it's superior production design.
Exactly this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
binky79
Art Expert

Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:14 pm

Right after they went up I went and did the picks by just guess without even looking up favorites or even seeing half of the nominated movies/performances. The thought was to go back in later and edit, but now I think its more fun to just leave them as-is and see how that goes. lol

Dune was my favorite movie this year (sorry RottenAtom), Drive My Car was probably the "best" movie, but I think The Power of the Dog will win.
ArchibaldTuttle
Art Expert

Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:05 pm

Looks like that’s cause they have the “golden hour” where they’re handing out 8 categories before the show actually starts. Though parts of that will be edited into the actual show.
RottenAtom wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:35 pm
Attention: Looks like final picks are due 1 hour before showtime. (I think we were able to edit picks anytime before the show started in the past.) Received the following message from runyourpool:

RottenAtom
Art Freak

Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:12 pm

ArchibaldTuttle wrote:
Looks like that’s cause they have the “golden hour” where they’re handing out 8 categories before the show actually starts. Though parts of that will be edited into the actual show.
RottenAtom wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:35 pm
Attention: Looks like final picks are due 1 hour before showtime. (I think we were able to edit picks anytime before the show started in the past.) Received the following message from runyourpool:

Gonna be interesting this year... Not sure if they'll tweet out the winners in advance of the show or try to keep it secret of the broadcast. Wonder when those scores will hit our runyourpool website. We shall see! :lol:
middayshadows
Art Expert

Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:28 pm

RottenAtom wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:36 pm
Cheers midday! Good luck to you Sir :pint:
Cheers, and good luck as well RA! :pint:
RottenAtom wrote:
I do recall being pleasantly surprised by one of the shows in the last few years. I don't recall which one (wish we had the old Rotten Oscars threads to check), but it felt like a good old school celebration of film.
I should clarify that for me the most recent good year was the year Parasite won. The campaign and eventual wins, it was a thrill ride for me.
RottenAtom wrote:
Never thought I'd see Amy Schumer host the Oscars. I hope there's a good montage or two (other than the in memoriam)
Yes, hoping for some good montages. No comment about the hosts except to say I'm not expecting very much.
RottenAtom wrote:
enough Chalamet already... most punchable face since Eddie Redmayne
That's hilarious. Sorry to hear ya didnt like Dune. I am/was holding out hope it'd be as good as the hype. Havent seen Licorice Pizza either, ugh - my crime this year as a PTA diehard. In my stubborn refusal to only see either of those two, and a couple of others, only on the big screen , I succeeded on not seeing them at all. Managed to see the rest of the Best Picture nominees and many others though. International film is the most exciting category to me , this year.

Also, I'm low-key hoping for a voter backlash against Disney/Encanto, for strong-arming the Academy to drop the 8 categories, clearly in favour of dedicating air-time to song performances and other segments that just so happen to showcase/promote their film.

Happy Oscars day, all! :clap:
middayshadows
Art Expert

Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:35 pm

RottenAtom wrote:
ArchibaldTuttle wrote:
Gonna be interesting this year... Not sure if they'll tweet out the winners in advance of the show or try to keep it secret of the broadcast. Wonder when those scores will hit our runyourpool website. We shall see! :lol:
From what I've heard I think we may indeed be hearing about those winners via their tweets and social media as they win - in other words before they are announced during the main show.

Apparently Jessica Chastain is skipping the red carpet so she can to be present in the theater as the awards for those 8 categories are given out, to a support to her hair and makeup team. Cool gesture. And a bit of a statement. I like it. Wonder if any other celebs will follow suit
weshallallbe
Art Expert

Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:53 pm

Image[/url]

Finishing up 52/52 now. Entered.
CSmiley317
Art Enthusiast

Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:05 pm

One of my fave films of the year. Like so many others, I experienced some challenging setbacks, and had a tough year internally and externally, so I found myself clamoring for anything inspiring or life giving, and I’m a sucker for underdog stories.

Almost didn’t watch this film, but my younger bro pressed me to see this on vacation, along with close family, and this came out at just the right time….and it completely owned me. King Richard was one of several resources this past year that helped me reframe my overall mindset - from a daily anxious and negative perspective to one that is more grateful and hopeful, even on the days I’m not exactly feelin’ it.

Life gets so busy adulting, and while bombarded with so much constant info on the phone, I easily took for granted the power of cinema…to help heal, inspire, challenge my own biases, confront past trauma, or simply just a chill way to relax when life or work gets overwhelming.

Fortunately, the artist formerly known as Fresh Prince helped remind me how much cinema/stories have made an impact on my own personal life / journey over the years…even when I didn’t take notice.

Before this turns into a novel, I just wanna say I always appreciate you RottenAtom - for graciously hosting the Rotten Oscars! And so much props to all the selfless prize donors: binky79, revmod, and Salty Winters. 🙌
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:26 pm

middayshadows wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:35 pm
RottenAtom wrote:
ArchibaldTuttle wrote:
From what I've heard I think we may indeed be hearing about those winners via their tweets and social media as they win - in other words before they are announced during the main show.

Apparently Jessica Chastain is skipping the red carpet so she can to be present in the theater as the awards for those 8 categories are given out, to a support to her hair and makeup team. Cool gesture. And a bit of a statement. I like it. Wonder if any other celebs will follow suit
Oh man, not only are the changes incredibly insulting to the nominees in those categories, they are absolutely going to impact people's voting pools. I hadn't even considered that... Instead of starting out on even ground, we start with a third of the awards already in the bad. So anticlimactic... I hope there's enough outcry that they revert next year. I know more people vocally protesting and not watching than ever before. I love that Jessica Chastain is skipping the red carpet to support her team. So stupid that they have all that red carpet time but had to cut out real awards.

Bout to mix up some champagne punch and pick up the Tex-Mex. I made my picks on a whim and put less time into them than ever before. Not sure if I'm gonna take another look at them or just roll with 'em.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:29 pm

CSmiley317 wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:05 pm

One of my fave films of the year. Like so many others, I experienced some challenging setbacks, and had a tough year internally and externally, so I found myself clamoring for anything inspiring or life giving, and I’m a sucker for underdog stories.

Almost didn’t watch this film, but my younger bro pressed me to see this on vacation, along with close family, and this came out at just the right time….and it completely owned me. King Richard was one of several resources this past year that helped me reframe my overall mindset - from a daily anxious and negative perspective to one that is more grateful and hopeful, even on the days I’m not exactly feelin’ it.

Life gets so busy adulting, and while bombarded with so much constant info on the phone, I easily took for granted the power of cinema…to help heal, inspire, challenge my own biases, confront past trauma, or simply just a chill way to relax when life or work gets overwhelming.

Fortunately, the artist formerly known as Fresh Prince helped remind me how much cinema/stories have made an impact on my own personal life / journey over the years…even when I didn’t take notice.

Before this turns into a novel, I just wanna say I always appreciate you RottenAtom - for graciously hosting the Rotten Oscars! And so much props to all the selfless prize donors: binky79, revmod, and Salty Winters. 🙌
This movie surprised me! One of two movies that made me tear up this year. The other was Coda. Glad it affected you so much and you shared that here. Good luck Sir! :pint:

Buncha Rotten Oscars Legends up in here :clap:
CSmiley317
Art Enthusiast

Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:43 pm

:pint: Thanks man!

I agree…I was not prepared for King Richard…or Coda. 💯 wrecked after both lol!
abstractlyput
Art Enthusiast

Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:59 pm

While I enjoyed the West Side Story remake, I liked this one better...and thought it was snubbed for political reasons. If this didn't come out first, not sure we'd have Hamilton. Good luck everyone!

ArchibaldTuttle
Art Expert

Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:05 pm

RottenAtom wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:26 pm
Bout to mix up some champagne punch and pick up the Tex-Mex. I made my picks on a whim and put less time into them than ever before. Not sure if I'm gonna take another look at them or just roll with 'em.
Have a porterhouse and bottle of red ready to go. Probably time for a martini first.

I only made one change to my picks earlier today - animated to Encanto cause of the overwhelming odds. But that movie actually did very little for me and I find anything LMM-related suuuuuper annoying (Hamilton fans don’t @ me - I totally respect what it did, I do not care to see it again).

Mitchell/Machines was incredible to me. Really hope it wins even though I didn’t pick it.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:36 pm

I think some of the awards have been announced on social media. If possible, lets keep that info out of this thread until it's updated on the scoreboard on our picks website. That way folks who want to be surprised can be surprised if the website waits to reveal them until the pre-recorded segment airs. So far they haven't posted the winners on runyourpool