2021 Rotten Oscars

That's right folks! They're just giving them away!
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:36 pm

Greetings! Tonight's the night. Friendly reminder to get your picks and pics in by showtime to qualify.

What movies are you championing?

My favorites of the nominated films are Minari, Nomadland, and Mank. I also really liked Wolfwalkers. I wasn't crazy about Promising Young Woman (liked Mulligan, but not the shifts in tone or the ending) or Ma Rainey (gimme Sylvie's Love over Ma), and I think The Trial of the Chicago Seven is a little cartoony and a lot overrated (Sorkin can write, but he's a crap director and Steve McQueen's Small Axe film Mangrove is so much better in every regard). Sound of Metal was legit. I haven't seen Judas and the Black Messiah yet. It came out after we made our Houston Film Critics votes over 4 months ago. Soon...

A few of my favorites from last year that weren't nominated are: Sorry We Missed You, Small Axe (Mangrove, Lovers Rock, Red White and Blue), Sylvie's Love, Yellow Rose, and The Vast of Night.

Performance-wise, Delroy Lindo's snub was a little surprising. I thought he was the best thing about D5B. I preferred Boseman's D5B performance to his (kinda hammy) Ma Rainey turn. Gary Oldman, Riz Ahmed, and Steven Yeun were all solid, as was Luca Marinelli in Martin Eden. For supporting actor, Paul Raci and Leslie Odom Jr. were both excellent. Kingsley Ben-Adir made me a believer after an initial "That's Malcom X?" reaction. John Boyega was excellent in Small Axe Red, White, and Blue and I liked Brian Dennehy in Driveways.

I'm a Viola Davis fan, but her Ma Rainey role isn't my favorite. I prefer Tessa Thompson (Sylvie's Love), Eva Noblezada (Yellow Rose), Sidney Flanigan (Never Rarely Sometimes Always), Vanessa Kirby (Pieces of a Woman), Frances McDormand (Nomadland), or Carey Mulligan (Promising Young Woman) for Best actress. Supporting actress is one of the few categories where the favorite is my favorite with Yuh-Jung Youn from Minari. I also liked Zainab Jah in Farewell Amor and Ellen Burstyn in Pieces of Woman. The Glenn Close nomination is laughable. I can't take that Hillbilly Elegy movie seriously. It's like an SNL skit or something.

For Best Director I'd be thrilled with Lee Isaac Chung (Minari), Chloé Zhao (Nomadland), or David Fincher (Mank). I liked Another Round, but I think it's a bit overrated. It's been a couple years since I saw Better Days, but I really liked it when I did and I voted Zhou Dongyu for Best Actress last year. It got a theatrical release in Houston in 2019, so it was weird to see it nominated this year.

Should be fun tonight (and by fun I mean unpredictable!). Made my picks with minimal research in record time. Haven't paid much attention to anything leading up to the show and I don't really know how it's all going down. I know there isn't a host, but I'm not sure if the show is in person or what. We shall see... Hoping they minimize the politics/pandemic talk and keep it about the movies. I'm a sucker for a good montage. I'm also a fan of having a host, but what the hell... Keeping expectations low. What a terrible year for the movie biz as we know it. Houston lost its last historic theatre just a month ago and now LA is losing some gems as well. The future isn't bright... Last movie I went to in a theater was March 7th, 2020. That movie? 12 Monkeys (cue theme music)
onesheet
Art Connoisseur

Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:23 pm

RottenAtom wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:16 pm

Onesheet, what was your score last year? I got 21/24 and it wasn't tops. I think you and duckyhoward (possibly others?) scored higher.
Good question. I tried to look back but couldn't find it. I just know that it all came down to Best Picture, and I was fortunate enough to vote (and win) with my gut.

It's refreshing to see that we see eye-to-eye on so many films. A few thoughts:

- I'm generally pretty happy to see so many films nominated for Best Picture that I feel like I can personally root for. Nomadland and Sound of Metal were two of my favorites of the year.
- While entertaining, I found Promising Young Woman problematic. I also despised its ending which just confounded its issues. That being said, I really don't understand its Best Original Screenplay nomination.
- Ma Rainy suffered by its scale and did little for me in its translation to the screen. Felt too stagy and the dialog overly rehearsed. Performances were solid, but when you use the term "hammy", you have me re-evaluating my memory. Davis was impressive.
- One Night In Miami on the other hand shows how to make the transition from stage to screen a success.
- Thought Gary Oldman was incredible and I'm surprised I haven't heard more support for him.
- Wasn't as passionate about Another Round as everyone else was, and I really don't understand why so many classify it as a "comedy". Mads killed it (as usual) but felt the film itself was a bit all over the place. I guess I should just be happy that Vinterberg is getting some recognition, but it's not his best film IMO.
- Thought Quo Vadis, Aida? was one of the most powerful films of the year, but I have a hunch it will have to settle for the nomination and be happy.
- I have yet to see The Trial of the Chicago Seven, The Father, or Minari but I have a feeling I'll love two out of the three.

Looking forward to tonight. Thank you for making this wonderful tradition happen again!
Cottenmouth
Art Enthusiast

Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:29 pm

Cheers to Cinema :pint:
dodgers77
Art Expert

Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:24 pm

:cheers:

ArchibaldTuttle
Art Expert

Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:36 pm

onesheet wrote:
- One Night In Miami on the other hand shows how to make the transition from stage to screen a success.
Finally just watched this today. Even before seeing it, I was bummed that Regina King wasn’t nominated for director, basically because I want her to win every award ever. But after watching it I think that’s the big snub from this year.
ArchibaldTuttle
Art Expert

Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:51 pm

onesheet wrote:
- Ma Rainy suffered by its scale and did little for me in its translation to the screen. Felt too stagy and the dialog overly rehearsed. Performances were solid, but when you use the term "hammy", you have me re-evaluating my memory. Davis was impressive.
Another quick thought - I was floored by her performance. Carey Mulligan was good as usual, but Viola is my pick even if she’s not the favorite. Yes, the movie itself was super stagey, but I generally enjoy plays even if they get into the hammy territory.
duckyhoward
Art Expert

Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:28 pm

Thansk RA for running this again. I haven't been very active on EB for a while and it was great to see this thread at the top of the board. So thought it only right and proper that i have a go.

This is the year of the coin toss or the lucky guess. Lots that i haven't seen.

Will be interesting to see if Sir Anthony gets to hold another little gold statue at the end of the ceremony

"so this is what it's like to be an adult, if he only knew now what he knew then..."
T.K.C.
fredo
Art God

Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:49 pm

Might finally sit down with Mank this evening. Been on the list forever.
just a foil for me today, thanks
CSmiley317
Art Enthusiast

Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:21 pm

Thanks again for putting this together RA!

abstractlyput
Art Enthusiast

Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:10 pm

PLUSH
Art Expert

Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:22 pm

In for the fun 3-0 against the MrsPlushy

Snub Was Kubo and the two Strings. Still disappointed that it lost to Zootopia.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:39 pm

Good luck everybody! Currently throwing together some champagne punch and chili cream cheese dip. Obligatory Whoopie pic :clap:
middayshadows
Art Expert

Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:01 pm

Have fun all!

Screw it, last minute switch for fave song pick. Id rather go down in flames with my fave of this bunch than one of the two more favored noms. I loved Eurovision 8)
middayshadows
Art Expert

Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:04 pm

Soderbergh with a tracking oner opening shot -nice
jkw3000
EB Team

Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:20 pm

middayshadows wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:01 pm
Have fun all!

Screw it, last minute switch for fave song pick. Id rather go down in flames with my fave of this bunch than one of the two more favored noms. I loved Eurovision 8)
You may lose the competition but you'll win our hearts.

My 2 for 2 right now is likely gonna be the high point before it goes down in flames. :lol:
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.