2021 Rotten Oscars

That's right folks! They're just giving them away!
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:56 pm

Howdy, folks! The 93rd annual Academy Awards are Sunday, April 25th. This is the 10th year of Rotten Oscars, EB’s annual celebration of cinema, created to help enhance the Academy Awards and the weeks leading up to the show.

With the Oscars pushed back, they feel like a bit of an afterthought this year. I didn’t bump the previous Rotten Oscars threads in time and they all disappeared (whoops!) and I’m a couple weeks late with this thread (my bad). Awards shows have become so overtly political that they’re barely even watchable, but traditions are traditions and I’d like to complete a decade run as the host of this extravaganza. We’ve had some good times (remember Rotten Oscars Trivia?) and I love how we always manage to keep things positive despite whatever's going on with the Academy or Hollywood. Cheers to the regulars who come back year after year and make this what it is. Nothing’s for certain (depends on a few factors), but next year I might hand the reigns over to someone else or leave it to the community to carry on or retire the tradition. Huge thanks to binky79 for being my wingman the last several years and for always coming through with killer prizes. You’re the best, dude :pint:

Rules

I don’t have the detailed rules and instructions from years past to copy and paste, but they’re the same as always:

1. Make your picks on runyourpool using the link below. One entry each. Password: fidelio

https://www.runyourpool.com/join/pool_i ... &p=fidelio

2. Make sure your entry name matches or is similar to your name on EB. Must have 1 year or 100 posts on EB by showtime.

3. Post a picture or gif of any Oscar winner, nom, or snub in this thread. Top 10 lists or pics of previous Oscar ceremonies are also acceptable.

4. Picks and pics are due by the start of the show on Sunday, April 25th.

Prizes
1. João Ruas There Will Be Blood. Donated by binky79 :clap:

2. Mark Smith Jaws. Donated by binky79 :clap:

3. Jurassic Park Opening Weekend Silver-Plated Collectible Movie Ticket. Donated by Cinlabyrinth :clap:

4. Choice of 1 book featuring an Oscar-nominated movie. Donated by Netflix's marketing team :clap:

The winner, as determined by runyourpool, will get first pick of the prizes. If there are clear cut 2nd and 3rd place winners, they will get to pick from the remaining prizes. If more than two people tie for the top score, there will be a drawing to determine who gets the remaining prizes. Free shipping in the US. First $20 paid towards international with recipient covering the rest.

Who’s gonna win? Who do you want to win? Who got snubbed? What’s your favorite movie in the Oscar mix? Your favorite movie that isn’t? Let’s hear it in the comments! Good luck!! :clap:
Last edited by RottenAtom on Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
theperfecttree
EB Team

Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:08 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

so happy to see this. checked out the nominees and I have a lot of movie watching to catch up this coming week!
binky79
Art Expert

Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:14 pm

RottenAtom wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:56 pm
Huge thanks to binky79 for being my wingman the last several years and for always coming through with killer prizes. You’re the best, dude :pint:

ArchibaldTuttle
Art Expert

Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:25 pm

Hell yeah! I actually searched for this the other day and saw the threads were removed, but thought maybe you’d deleted em and were done with the whole thing.

Don’t care about winning (and I’m never great with my picks), but this is an EB highlight of the year for me. Thanks for doing it!
rubberneck
Art God

Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:36 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
jkw3000
EB Team

Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:03 am

I am so unprepared for this year but legit stoked to see this keep rolling. :pint:
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
jvwoodford
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:25 am

RottenAtom
Art Freak

Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:10 am

theperfecttree wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:08 pm
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

so happy to see this. checked out the nominees and I have a lot of movie watching to catch up this coming week!
Let the binge begin! I'm looking forward to revisiting some of the nominees before the show. Houston Film Critics voted on them in mid-December. That seems like ages ago.

I still need to view the shorts programs and I think there's a few foreign films I need to see. I'm completely out of the loop as to who "the favorites" are this year in most categories.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:11 am

ArchibaldTuttle wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:25 pm
Hell yeah! I actually searched for this the other day and saw the threads were removed, but thought maybe you’d deleted em and were done with the whole thing.

Don’t care about winning (and I’m never great with my picks), but this is an EB highlight of the year for me. Thanks for doing it!
Cheers AT! Thanks for always participating :pint:
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:12 am

New prize in the mix thanks to Cinlabyrinth. Paging Chisoxfan :clap:

ArchibaldTuttle
Art Expert

Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:53 am

For my participation pic - I still think Dolemite Is My Name was a huge snub, especially Wesley Snipes.
finneganm
Art Freak

Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:10 pm

Agreed, that movie was solid gold.
That's what she said
onesheet
Art Connoisseur

Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:38 pm

I'm still catching up on nominees, but so far, I think One Night in Miami probably had one of the best ensembles of the year. Leslie Odom Jr. was indeed excellent and deserves his nomination, but I felt Kingsley Ben-Adir was unbelievably captivating as Malcolm X. He brought so much depth and range to the role, I still can't believe he wasn't recognized more.
middayshadows
Art Expert

Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:05 pm

YES.

I was just thinking about Rotten Oscars yesterday. I'm happy to see it continue , even in this weird weird year.

RA , thank you!

I'm already looking forward to a more 'normal' Rotten Oscars next year. I completely understand if you have some uncertainty about continuing it next year RA, but I sure hope you do.
caseyg1986
Art Connoisseur

Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:03 pm

Awesome, can't wait! Thanks for hosting, RA! Very curious to see how things turn out at the end of this bizarre awards race. Forever I will be baffled how Delory Lindo got completely shut out this year. He totally deserved at least a nomination, but such is life.