2019 Rotten Oscars

That's right folks! They're just giving them away! Post lifespan is 1 year.
MJGallicchio
Art Expert

Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:15 pm

Does this count as a snub?

if not...
hunterjax
Art Expert

Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:38 pm

first time entering - thanks for running it again, I always enjoy following this thread and thought I'd join in, even though, like you, I am completely over the way the Academy handles this now (and have been for at least the last 5-6 years).

Anyway:

duckyhoward
Art Expert

Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:53 pm

Nice to see this thread back. Thanks Rotten. Good luck everyone :) Lets hope the EB site holds up too.

Not sure what to make of some of this years nominees. Some seemingly obvious films and actors missing and some that i can' t understand how they actually made it in. oh well.

"so this is what it's like to be an adult, if he only knew now what he knew then..."
T.K.C.
fredo
Art God

Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:54 pm

Looking forward to skidding sideways into 85th place.

just a foil for me today, thanks
HisBobness
Art Expert

Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:07 am

Did you look at me?!? Look at me! How dare you!!

binky79
Art Expert

Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:33 am

middayshadows wrote: Last year I had PTA, Del Toro, Greta Gerwig, Jordan Peele, Roger Deakins and a few others to root for across various categories. This year...not so much.
Yeah, not sure if its by comparison, but this feels like a SUPER weak year for movies.

dweebofthedead
Art Expert

Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:09 pm

Biggest "In Memoriam" snub from last year

PLUSH
Art Expert

Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:25 pm

Best time of the year!
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:48 pm

Skipping this year but YTB for doing this every year Adam! These are the things that make this a community and not just a bunch of snarkmonsters snarking it up. :clap: :clap:
revmod
Art Connoisseur

Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:50 am

I'm so pleased this is back! My art collecting and art discussion has curbed back substantially, so I almost never post here. It's nice to have an opportunity to reconnect.

I'm also pleased to hear folks lamenting the effort to make the ceremony something different than it has been. If broadcasters want a tighter version, then broadcast the entire thing on some Entertainment cable outlet and do a 30-minute recap version later that night, showing only the categories and movies they imagine people care about. It works for the Olympics.

Like you, RA, I've never watched the Oscars looking for an authoritative final answer regarding the quality of work in film. It doesn't make it less fun to watch knowing the winners are determined more by the politics of the moment and of the Academy than by the qualities of the films themselves.

This white dude doesn't think it's racist to point out that Black Panther was a solid MCU movie but hardly the sort of thing you expect from an Oscar movie. I think there were two solid "black" movies that should have made the nominee list ahead of BP: Sorry to Bother You and Beale Street. I think Spike Lee has had better films than BlackkKlansman, but perhaps the movie made the cut in the face of a generally weaker field than other years.

In fact, I think this should have been a rematch of 2016: Barry Jenkins and Damien Chazelle had my top pair of movies for the year. But the real snub of the year was Gosling in First Man. I heard a radio reviewer, upon the announcement of the nominees, suggest the Academy has mistaken "Most Acting" for "Best Acting". Gosling's restraint was heartbreaking.

I've done okay reading the tea leaves of awards season to score pretty well in these in years past. Not this year - what a dog's breakfast of winners through the other awards. My big prediction this year: the lowest scoring winner of any Rotten Oscars.

Snubs of the year: Image
Last edited by revmod on Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:58 am

Hey rev!
revmod wrote: If broadcasters want a tighter version, then broadcast the entire thing on some Entertainment cable outlet and do a 30-minute recap version later that night, showing only the categories and movies they imagine people care about. It works for the Olympics.
I love this idea and occasionally mention it myself. (Realizing now that I probably heard it from you... :) )

revmod wrote:Sorry to Bother You and Beale Street
Agreed. Excellent films (much more deserving than BP, imo) and both in my Top 10 of 2018.
revmod wrote: In fact, I think this should have been a rematch of 2016: Barry Jenkins and Damien Chazelle had my top pair of movies for the year. But the real snub of the year was Gosling in First Man. I heard a radio reviewer, upon the announcement of the nominees, suggest the Academy has mistaken "Most Acting" for "Best Acting". Gosling's restraint was heartbreaking.
I like First Man, too, and I think its score deserved a nomination. I think the Academy often mistakes "Most Acting" for "Best Acting." Subtle performances are almost always overshadowed by the cryers, yellers, and scenery chewers. I really liked Robert Redford's effortlessly charming performance in The Old Man & the Gun. That movie has an underrated score too:

revmod wrote:What the hell happened to the image upload? Okay, this post will have to be edited once I figure it out.
Edited to add: All my jpgs from years past have gone down the memory hole. Perhaps a cost-saving measure as the site tries to hang on?
I think the easiest way to post a pic on EB is to find the pic on the web (or upload it to tumblr or something) click on it and choose "copy image address" (chrome) or "copy image location" (firefox) then paste it into your EB post. Highlight it and click the "Img" button

I'm off work for the weekend and starting to get excited for the show! :pint: :clap:
revmod
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:36 pm

Thanks for the picture posting tip, Atom! Next up, finding appropriately-sized pictures.
Drink like nobody's watching.
ArchibaldTuttle
Art Expert

Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:30 pm

Mandy - big ole snub for best score (yeah yeah I know about the ineligibility thing, but it's dumb).
WolfBrewer
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:00 pm

ArchibaldTuttle wrote:Mandy - big ole snub for best score (yeah yeah I know about the ineligibility thing, but it's dumb).
Best score for sure. Suspiria is a close 2nd for me, but JJ really put something special into Mandy and it sticks with you.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:20 pm

Less than 20 folks entered so far and the race seems open this year. Anybody can win. Friendly reminder to post your pic or list in this thread before the show.
RottenAtom wrote:-To qualify, you must post one of the following three things in this thread before the start of the show:

1) A picture or gif from an Oscar-winning movie or a previous Academy Awards show, or
2) A list of your Top 10 Films of 2018, or
3) A picture or gif from a movie or performance that got snubbed (name the category)