2019 Rotten Oscars

That's right folks! They're just giving them away! Post lifespan is 1 year.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:31 pm

Howdy, folks! The 91st annual Academy Awards are this Sunday, February 24th.

This is the 8th year of Rotten Oscars, EB's annual celebration of cinema, created with the intention of making the Academy Awards more fun.

While EBs been on the fritz and there's no telling when the site could go down, I don't want to let a fun tradition die. Festivities will be on the smaller side compared to some of our previous extravaganzas, but it's still going down!

It must be said... the Academy is a joke. Their pathetic attempts to increase popularity have misfired and the little credibility/integrity they did have has dwindled. I've never been less interested in the show. HOWEVER... lets keep this thread positive and shine a light on unrecognized movies, filmmakers, and performances. We don't need a good academy to have a good time :pint:

We're using the same site as last year and the same rules as always (with a few minor adjustments).

Rules

-You get one guess in each of the 24 categories. Each category is worth 1 point and the person with the most points at the end of the show wins.

-You must have 100 posts or at least 1 year on ebeans as of February 24th, 2019.

-You must make your picks on runyourpool.com (use the link below) and your username must match your EB username.

-To qualify, you must post one of the following three things in this thread before the start of the show:

1) A picture or gif from an Oscar-winning movie or a previous Academy Awards show, or
2) A list of your Top 10 Films of 2018, or
3) A picture or gif from a movie or performance that got snubbed (name the category)

Instructions

1. Go to https://www.runyourpool.com/join/pool_i ... &p=fidelio

2. In the Join Password box, enter 'fidelio' (without the single quotes)

3. Fill out the form information, including a personal username and password. (Rest assured, this information will NOT be sold or utilized for spam email under ANY circumstances.)

4. Make your picks for each category, with the ability to change them up until the awards show.

5. Post your picture, gif, or list in this thread before the start of the awards show.

Prizes

The person with the highest score gets first pick of the prizes. If 2 or 3 people tie for high score, each will get a prize and I will assign and draw numbers for order of pick. If more than 3 people tie for top score, I will assign numbers and draw to see who gets prizes and in which order. After the person(s) with high scores get prizes, anybody with a score higher than mine will be assigned numbers and entered into a drawing for the remaining prizes.

Prize 1- Donated by my pal, Regina Scruggs. Roma book by Italian luxury bookmaker, Assouline (yes, funny name). Sells for $175
https://www.assouline.com/products/roma
(mixer not included)

Prize 2- Donated by yours truly. First Man book set.

Prize 3- Donated by Salty Winters. Assortment of "For Your Consideration" items.

Prize 4- Donated by binky79. S&D Logan Run set by Martin Ansin. Edge damage, will frame out.
*I didn't reach out to anybody for prizes this year, but binky (as always) had something set aside. Thanks bud :pint:

Picks and pics (or gifs/lists) are due by the start of the show on Sunday, February 24th. Get 'em in before the site crashes! Good luck!! :twisted: :pint:

ArchibaldTuttle
Art Expert

Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:06 am

Hooray! Fav thread of the year. Looking forward to failing miserably and having some fun.
theperfecttree
EB Team

Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:46 am

:clap:
aldobishalini
Art Connoisseur

Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:31 am

BISHALINI.com (My Collection) Image

“Weather forecast for tonight: dark. Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning.”
middayshadows
Art Expert

Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:49 am

Oh yes. Happy to see the tradition remains alive on this kind of weird, off year (for film and eb). Cheers, RA. :pint:

I don't feel I have any real dog in the race this year. Last year I had PTA, Del Toro, Greta Gerwig, Jordan Peele, Roger Deakins and a few others to root for across various categories. This year...not so much. Regina King maybe, who I always like seeing, but I havent even seen If Beale Street Could Talk.

I'm going to be watching a few more of the Best Picture flicks, including The Favourite, over the next few days, so I'm hoping that changes a bit.

The telecast always offers at least a bare minimum of fun. Luckily the Academy reversed their stupidity about not airing the editing and cinematography award-ing, so I wont be distracted by my own rage (had they gone through with it) during the show.
Image Image
steivewonder88

Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:16 am

Woo hoo! best of luck everyone!
Last edited by steivewonder88 on Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
WolfBrewer
Art Connoisseur

Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:21 am

Looking forward to this year's RO...thanks for keeping the tradition alive!
RadRacing
Art Expert

Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:21 am

Thanks dude!

Snub from this year, IMO (Best Documentary Feature)
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:36 am

Yay! (though I've seen very few of the actual nominated films, and thus will mostly just randomly guess on all picks)

Top 10 from 2018, alpha:

Annihilation
Blindspotting
Burning
Capernaum
Cold War
Never Look Away
Roma
Shoplifters
Sorry to Bother You
The Endless
jkw3000
EB Trainee

Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:31 am

Glad you're keeping this up, man. One of my favorite things on this site. Thanks. :D

35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:40 pm

iwokeinrelief wrote:Yay! (though I've seen very few of the actual nominated films, and thus will mostly just randomly guess on all picks)

Top 10 from 2018, alpha:

Annihilation
Blindspotting
Burning
Capernaum
Cold War
Never Look Away
Roma
Shoplifters
Sorry to Bother You
The Endless
Nice list! I still haven't seen Blindspotting, Capernaum, or Never Look Away, but I liked everything else on your list. Looking forward to checking the others out.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:41 pm

jkw3000 wrote:Glad you're keeping this up, man. One of my favorite things on this site. Thanks. :D
Reigning champ in the house :clap:
jkw3000
EB Trainee

Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:48 pm

RottenAtom wrote:
jkw3000 wrote:Glad you're keeping this up, man. One of my favorite things on this site. Thanks. :D
Our reigning champ is in the house :clap:
Narp, that was duckyhoward! I was just lucky enough to be one of the runners-up. :D

And also in agreement with you, the Academy's such a joke. But I've always felt that way, just seems magnified this year with the constant backlash at their stupid attempts to make the show "entertaining."
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:59 pm

RottenAtom wrote:
iwokeinrelief wrote:Yay! (though I've seen very few of the actual nominated films, and thus will mostly just randomly guess on all picks)

Top 10 from 2018, alpha:

Annihilation
Blindspotting
Burning
Capernaum
Cold War
Never Look Away
Roma
Shoplifters
Sorry to Bother You
The Endless
Nice list! I still haven't seen Blindspotting, Capernaum, or Never Look Away, but I liked everything else on your list. Looking forward to checking the others out.
Oh, the three you haven't seen are all great - Blindspotting was my favorite domestic film from last year (setting aside my geeked-out love for The Endless), it's a great watch and was way funnier than I expected. Capernaum is a gut punch that felt like a documentary (which I mean in a really great way) that manages to end with just enough hope that you're not completely bummed out. And I loved Never Look Away so much - it is a highly sentimental melodrama though, which is not everyone's cup of tea though (when they're well done, which I don't see a lot, I love 'em).
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:42 pm

jkw3000 wrote:
RottenAtom wrote:
Our reigning champ is in the house :clap:
Narp, that was duckyhoward! I was just lucky enough to be one of the runners-up. :D

And also in agreement with you, the Academy's such a joke. But I've always felt that way, just seems magnified this year with the constant backlash at their stupid attempts to make the show "entertaining."
While the Academy always misses some great movies/performances and often rewards others that are probably less-deserving, I've never been a big time Oscar hater. The opposite in fact; I always enjoy the show and the festivities and use them as an excuse to have a fun time and celebrate movies. Regardless of what wins, I enjoy the many components of the show; the host's opening bit, the fun clips or skits they sometimes have, the movie montages, the acceptance speeches, etc. I never feel like it runs long and I generally enjoy the entire show.

The thing that drives me crazy is how they're changing everything up (tradition be damned!) in order to try and "fix" the ratings. Ratings for live events like this are down across the board and it will continue to be that way in the age of social media. They are alienating their longtime fans in an attempt to gain younger, newer ones, and become more relevant.

The corporate influence and commerce affecting a show that was intended to honor the best in cinematic arts is also disheartening. The academy has a longtime contract with ABC (owned by Disney) who is using the low ratings to try and change the show into something more beneficial for their company. It's two-fold; if they can reward more popular fair (like Bohemian Rhapsody, A Star is Born, and Black Panther) and have a "popular" host, maybe more people will tune into the show (higher ratings) and it gives Disney a platform to pat themselves on the back, promote their popular movies and give them more credence by honoring them as 'awards movies.' I feel like they're using the current climate and the perceived social/racial progression that comes with honoring a film like Black Panther as a guise to slyly slide their popular films in the mix and set a precedence. And if anybody speaks the truth (like me now) they're simply designated as a racist or someone who isn't down for the cause.

I wish the Academy would stick to their guns and tell all naysayers to kick rocks. They're doing too much to try and please people who never really cared about the Oscars in the first place (and never will). As someone who often said that Oscar Sunday was my favorite day of the year aside from Christmas, it is a bummer indeed.

Anyways... just wanted to give a little insight into my disenchantment with this year's ceremony.