2016 Rotten Oscars

That's right folks! They're just giving them away! Post lifespan is 1 year.
Post Reply
User avatar
middayshadows
Art Expert
Posts: 5777
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:15 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:56 am

Digging everyone's comments and pics and gifs as always.

I am pretty big on the Revenant. Took me a month after it was released to see it - long enough to hear chatter from some of the film's (and Leo's) detractors. So I went in with my expectations lowered somewhat...and ended up loving it. Incredible, assured film-making. The cinematography is bonkers good, just beautiful (I can't remember if there was ever another time I wasn't rooting for Rogers Deakins winning his field). And I thought DiCaprio was perfect. Same with Tom Hardy and Domnhall Gleeson. I've been a cheerleader of Inarritu's since Amores Perros, and this is exactly the kind of film I want to see from him (sorry, Birdman).

I will have to see The Big Short this week, in order to definitively call The Revenant my fave of the Best Picture nominees. That's not to say that's where my votes are going though :twisted:
RottenAtom wrote:In a silly decision, the producers of this year's Oscars telecast are only going to have 3 of the 5 nominated songs performed. There just isn't time for the other two.

Personally, I wish they wouldn't perform any of the nominated songs (they never really pick good ones and I feel like this category is one of the worst each year).
Such a buIIshit, insulting decision. I typically sympathize with the show's producers when it comes to decisions regarding time constraints. But this is utterly lacking in integrity and backbone, and is even more embarrassing than they year they had all Best Songs performed one after another, allowing each artist only two minutes to perform of their song, before being awkwardly railroaded-over by the next artist. Shame.

On paper I'd actually like to see all the songs performed. But I agree, they do have a tendency to nominate dreck and ignore great movie music every year. So yeah All or none.
Image
User avatar
middayshadows
Art Expert
Posts: 5777
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:15 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:02 am

RottenAtom wrote:This is just another instance of the Oscars telecast being corrupted by commercialism. Gotta get those ratings! Gotta appeal to the lowest common denominator! As much as I hate to say it (because I don't have the fancy channels) the Oscars are best suited for HBO or some other channel where they can play it free of commercial interruptions and allow it to last as long as it takes (without bleeping out the curse words)). I know that from a business standpoint, that's a naive and idealistic viewpoint, but trying to make the Oscars into an event like the Super Bowl is silly. It will never have the kind of appeal they want it to. Not without bastardizing the whole thing.

And by the way, ^ agreed , times a billion.
Image
User avatar
RottenAtom
Art Freak
Posts: 14710
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:51 am
Location: Houston, TX

Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:46 pm

midday! :pint:
middayshadows wrote:Usually among the first to chime in, I am lagging a bit this year!
A wizard is never late, nor is he early He arrives precisely when he means to.
Image
middayshadows wrote:Digging everyone's comments and pics and gifs as always.

I am pretty big on the Revenant. Took me a month after it was released to see it - long enough to hear chatter from some of the film's (and Leo's) detractors. So I went in with my expectations lowered somewhat...and ended up loving it. Incredible, assured film-making. The cinematography is bonkers good, just beautiful (I can't remember if there was ever another time I wasn't rooting for Rogers Deakins winning his field). And I thought DiCaprio was perfect. Same with Tom Hardy and Domnhall Gleeson. I've been a cheerleader of Inarritu's since Amores Perros, and this is exactly the kind of film I want to see from him (sorry, Birdman).

I will have to see The Big Short this week, in order to definitively call The Revenant my fave of the Best Picture nominees. That's not to say that's where my votes are going though :twisted:
It'll be interesting to see if The Revenant can pull it out. Amores Perros was my first Inarritu film as well, and while I've always respected his work, The Revenant is his first picture that I fully embraced and enjoy revisiting. Funny because I wasn't anticipating it, but I was just entranced and enjoyed every second. It's certainly divisive and I understand why some folks don't dig it. Both The Revenant and Mad Max: Fury Road are 'experience' movies, well-made and beautiful to look at but ultimately slim in the story dept. I love them both, but prefer The Revenant. Mad Max is more fun, but The Revenant is mesmerizing.

I :heart: The Big Short. It's highly entertaining, super well-made (killer script, editing, and acting/ensemble) and more than any of the other nominees, it has something to say. It's deceivingly clever and though I liked it quite a bit on the first viewing, it wasn't until the third that it reached my top spot. (I've seen it 5 times now). When I voted for the Houston Film Critics Society in early December, my order was 1) Inside Out 2) The Revenant 3) The Big Short and when I posted my Top 50 of 2015 on 12/31 it was the same. Sometime since, it made the leap. Hoping for The Big Short first, followed by The Revenant. The only way I'll be disappointed is if best picture goes to Spotlight (solid flick, but not best picture, imo).

Image
Image
User avatar
RottenAtom
Art Freak
Posts: 14710
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:51 am
Location: Houston, TX

Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:24 pm

Scottjohnston wrote:
Image

Micheal B. Jordan continues to impress #snubbed
Image

Image

Image
Michael B. Jordan is so good they didn't even have to use special effects for this^

Creed was a pleasant surprise. Gave me chills both times I saw it. I thought they did a great job with the music -- it builds on previous Rocky scores and hints at them without overly relying on them. Modern but classic. Stallone, Jordan, and Tessa Thompson were all were all solid. Ryan Coogler's stellar direction deserves credit as well.
Image
User avatar
beetlejuice
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 923
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:49 pm

Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:23 pm

Just threw my picks up. Hating picking the revenant for anything but whatever. I'm in to win not pick what I think deserves it!

Image
Go ahead, make my millennium.
User avatar
middayshadows
Art Expert
Posts: 5777
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:15 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:33 pm

RottenAtom wrote: Amores Perros was my first Inarritu film as well, and while I've always respected his work, The Revenant is his first picture that I fully embraced and enjoy revisiting. Funny because I wasn't anticipating it, but I was just entranced and enjoyed every second. It's certainly divisive and I understand why some folks don't dig it. Both The Revenant and Mad Max: Fury Road are 'experience' movies, well-made and beautiful to look at but ultimately slim in the story dept. I love them both, but prefer The Revenant. Mad Max is more fun, but The Revenant is mesmerizing.
Completely in line with how I've felt about Inarritu's films. While his talent was immediately obvious to me, his films since AP have challenged me, for better and for worse. But that is a quality I like in artists I love. PTA, Altman, Allen, etc etc ...even Kubrick. And again agreed, The Revenant is the first of his films where I came out of the theatre thinking "nailed it." First frame to last, no (big) caveats.

Having said that, it doesn't bother me that the film is as divisive as it is. So many films I love , are disliked by many. Again, I think that's a good thing.
RottenAtom wrote: I :heart: The Big Short. It's highly entertaining, super well-made (killer script, editing, and acting/ensemble) and more than any of the other nominees, it has something to say. It's deceivingly clever and though I liked it quite a bit on the first viewing, it wasn't until the third that it reached my top spot. (I've seen it 5 times now).
That's a mighty big endorsement! I'm sure I will enjoy it. I have thus far been frustrated in my goal to simply see it once! Trying best I can to squeeze in a viewing before Sunday.
Image
User avatar
MonteAlderaan
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 384
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:03 am

Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:38 pm

Just submitted my ballot. It wasn't my favorite film of the year but it does boggle my mind that Sorkin and Boyle aren't up for Steve Jobs, considering some of the other nominees. It's definitely not a year where anyone should feel very confident in their picks. Looking forward to seeing a good upset or two...
Image
I think my faith in awards shows was officially destroyed in 1998. L.A. Confidential lost Best Pic to Titanic and Radiohead lost Best Album to old Bob Dylan. I've been a bit jaded about the whole shebang ever since.
User avatar
DonPiano
Art Expert
Posts: 8466
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:42 am
Location: Perth, Nowhere Australia.

Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:04 pm

Breaking my EB sabbatical... but... I'm back for this at least.

Image
The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group


Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.
User avatar
RottenAtom
Art Freak
Posts: 14710
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:51 am
Location: Houston, TX

Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:46 am

MonteAlderaan wrote:Just submitted my ballot. It wasn't my favorite film of the year but it does boggle my mind that Sorkin and Boyle aren't up for Steve Jobs, considering some of the other nominees. It's definitely not a year where anyone should feel very confident in their picks. Looking forward to seeing a good upset or two...
I think my faith in awards shows was officially destroyed in 1998. L.A. Confidential lost Best Pic to Titanic
Yeah, I'm surprised Sorkin wasn't nominated. I think Boyle's direction was strong and really elevated the movie, but for me he was still a few spots away from a nomination.

L.A. Confidential is one of the first movies I remember really getting behind. It was one of the first years I made an effort to see a bunch of the nominated films. Good Will Hunting was my other favorite from that year, and though I was a fan of Titanic I was hoping L.A. Confidential would be it's iceburg.

Image
Image
User avatar
RottenAtom
Art Freak
Posts: 14710
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:51 am
Location: Houston, TX

Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:07 am

DonPiano wrote:Breaking my EB sabbatical... but... I'm back for this at least.
DonP! You've been missed! Just dropped your name in the "Whatever Happened To...?" thread the other day.

I know you've been staying busy on the website/podcast front. Glad you could pop in :pint:

Image
(still need to see this)
Image
User avatar
RadRacing
Art Expert
Posts: 1386
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 9:12 am
Location: CANADA

Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:54 am

Here is my entry...Thanks, as always.

Oscar winning film
Image

I'll throw in a snubbed ..Jacob Tremblay from Room. That kid held the whole movie together and deserved a nomination
Image
User avatar
jmagee87
Art Expert
Posts: 5995
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:02 pm
Location: Baton Rouge, LA

Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:46 pm

Just finished Room. Totally agree on that snub. Give that kid the leading role oscar. F that Leo guy
Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.
User avatar
GatorsCanes
Art Expert
Posts: 2550
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:44 pm
Location: Not Austin

Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:49 pm

Still my favorite Oscar memory.
roberto_a.jpg
NEVER PAY VIA PAYPAL GIFT. NEVER PAY FRIENDS/FAMILY. PAY THE FEES YOURSELF, THE 3% IS WORTH IT TO NOT BE SCAMMED
User avatar
smokey289
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 804
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:37 pm

Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:54 pm

Image
User avatar
TKuczynski
Art Expert
Posts: 1909
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:27 am

Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:11 pm

First time entering, thanks RA



Best visual effects:
Image
Post Reply