Audiophile discussion

Talk tunes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
cotis
Art Expert

Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:25 pm

so now that I'm never not listening to my Sonos... anyone able to speak from experience with a record player connected through the system?
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:15 pm

cotis wrote:so now that I'm never not listening to my Sonos... anyone able to speak from experience with a record player connected through the system?
I ended up getting the Playbar his weekend and my god it's glorious!

I don't think you can play your records through Sonos... I highly doubt it. I need to pick up some nicer speakers for my turntable setup now that you mention it.
mistersmith
Art Freak

Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:08 pm

63schoeffling wrote:
cotis wrote:so now that I'm never not listening to my Sonos... anyone able to speak from experience with a record player connected through the system?
I ended up getting the Playbar his weekend and my god it's glorious!

I don't think you can play your records through Sonos... I highly doubt it. I need to pick up some nicer speakers for my turntable setup now that you mention it.
It looks like you just need to buy a little thing called a Connect:Amp.

http://www.vinylandcocktails.com/sonos- ... yer-setup/

Note: I know nothing about Sonos, I was just curious about the tech and googled.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:46 pm

^ that would make sense. The guy at Best Buy told me he didn't think you could. I honestly didn't really investigate any further but if you buy the Connect: Amp I honk you are better off using the money for hardware speakers. I mean idk, as much as I absolutely loveeee Sonos, I guess I'm old school when it comes to my records. But who the hell knows.
smellmysocks73
Art Expert

Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:05 pm

63schoeffling wrote:^ that would make sense. The guy at Best Buy told me he didn't think you could. I honestly didn't really investigate any further but if you buy the Connect: Amp I honk you are better off using the money for hardware speakers. I mean idk, as much as I absolutely loveeee Sonos, I guess I'm old school when it comes to my records. But who the hell knows.
I have my turntable connected to my Sonos. It rules.

You set it up as a source, and may then listen to it in any zone.
srdzevon said, "Oh fudge!!! That's awesome! I hate you".
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:08 pm

smellmysocks73 wrote:
63schoeffling wrote:^ that would make sense. The guy at Best Buy told me he didn't think you could. I honestly didn't really investigate any further but if you buy the Connect: Amp I honk you are better off using the money for hardware speakers. I mean idk, as much as I absolutely loveeee Sonos, I guess I'm old school when it comes to my records. But who the hell knows.
I have my turntable connected to my Sonos. It rules.

You set it up as a source, and may then listen to it in any zone.
You use the Connect Amp?
cotis
Art Expert

Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:17 pm

no I understand you need the Connect, I'm somewhat familiar with the system :)

what I meant was what vinyl players do people have hooked up through it that sound good?
smellmysocks73
Art Expert

Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:44 pm

Mine sounds excellent.

It all depends if your turntable has an amp built in or not, from my understanding. Though to be honest, it was slightly confusing when I was getting direction from my audio guy as to which I needed. In the end, I was able to use the "connect", which is less expensive than the connect amp.

But fear not, it CAN be done--and sounds great.
srdzevon said, "Oh fudge!!! That's awesome! I hate you".
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:19 pm

smellmysocks73 wrote:Mine sounds excellent.

It all depends if your turntable has an amp built in or not, from my understanding. Though to be honest, it was slightly confusing when I was getting direction from my audio guy as to which I needed. In the end, I was able to use the "connect", which is less expensive than the connect amp.

That's great to know. I might have to look into it because my turntable has a built in preamp.
cotis
Art Expert

Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:52 am

smellmysocks73 wrote:Mine sounds excellent.

what brand do you have?

a vinyl player with an amp + Sonos connect = happy cotis.
a vinyl player (no amp) + Sonos Connect AMP = more expensive, less happy cotis.

but I'm all for sound quality... price is kinda out the window at this point.
student42
Art Expert

Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:20 pm

All of you Sonus users out there that care about sound quality, you should consider playing your FLAC files through an external DAC hooked up to the sonos instead of directly through the sonos (assuming you have a system to back it up). The best DAC I have found for the money is the Gustard X12.

You can find it on Massdrop sometimes for around $400. You can also order direct from china but I have more trust in Massdrop and they warranty it for a year. Best DAC I have ever heard in that price range.
https://www.massdrop.com/r/PL2983

If you have an older turntable with no preamp you can purchase an external one such as the EMOTIVA AUDIO XPS-1 ($119.00 at many places) and hook it up to the sonos. An older quality turntable with a quality preamp will sound superior to most new sub $600 turntables with built in preamps. Most of the time the built in preamps are garbage.

ImageI like pie!
sideshowbob
EB Team

Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:00 pm

I'll play. I just recently put this together again after a few years of being pieced out to different room systems in the house or just sitting dormant.

B&W N802's (AudioQuest MontBlanc cables)
McIntosh MC352
McIntosh MHT100
McIntosh MCD205
Tascam DA-20MK II
Technics SL-D303 w/ Sumiko Blue Point Special EVO III cartridge/stylus (have a Pro-Ject Perspective tt, but it dropped a channel so the Technics is holding place)
Pro-Ject Phonobox SE II
Sirius
Blueberry Audio "Emotion" headphone amplifier / Sennheiser HD600 headphones

:banana:
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:15 pm

shoeless wrote:Any advice is appreciated. :pint:
People telling you what brands and models they like are only telling you what brands and models THEY like.
Your ears are your ears - your personal taste is your personal taste.
This applies not only to your favorite music, but the way YOU like that music to sound.

There is exactly one way to know what system will sound best to YOU while playing YOUR favorite music.
You must take the highest-possible quality versions of your most listened-to recordings to a store where you can compare one against the others.

I know this doesn't seem like the help you were seeking, but there really is no substitute for this process.
hogie777
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:16 pm

sideshowbob wrote:I'll play. I just recently put this together again after a few years of being pieced out to different room systems in the house or just sitting dormant.

B&W N802's (AudioQuest MontBlanc cables)
McIntosh MC352
McIntosh MHT100
McIntosh MCD205
Tascam DA-20MK II
Technics SL-D303 w/ Sumiko Blue Point Special EVO III cartridge/stylus (have a Pro-Ject Perspective tt, but it dropped a channel so the Technics is holding place)
Pro-Ject Phonobox SE II
Sirius
Blueberry Audio "Emotion" headphone amplifier

:banana:

Wowwweeee
“We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams” - Willy Wonka
Bikejoh
Art Expert

Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:01 pm

:shock: I just came here to throw out my headphone recommendation.... I think I'm in the wrong place... :lol:

Beyer Dynamic DT770s, powering with an ASUS Xonar sound card.. most comfortable headphones I've ever put on my head and the sound quality is excellent. When they break I'm immediately getting another pair