The Grateful Thread...

Talk tunes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
unbroken1
Art Expert

Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:10 pm

goldenrose wrote:What I have never understood is the fact that Phish got their start doing Grateful Dead covers - check out early versions of Scarlet > Fire. However they have always had this elitist attitude not to do any Dead covers during the last 20 years of their career - save Terrapin Station as an encore just once in 98. The fact that Phish does covers practically every show by other bands and artists smacks of hypocrisy. I love Phish almost as much as the Grateful Dead but this has always left a bad taste in my mouth.
They also rose to fame in the shadows of and in spite of constantly being compared to the grateful dead. You can't blame phish for wanting to carve their own niche to some degree. That Va beach show was so amazing! What can I say 98 was a busy year.
comountaingolf
Art Expert

Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:13 pm

unbroken1 wrote:
They also rose to fame in the shadows of and in spite of constantly being compared to the grateful dead.
Jerry passed and they blew up along with 'Panic. Simple :pint:
Jim Carr wrote:The fans are standing up to them! The security guards are standing up to them! The peanut vendors are standing up to them!
> THC X 9 <
unbroken1
Art Expert

Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:57 pm

comountaingolf wrote:
unbroken1 wrote:
They also rose to fame in the shadows of and in spite of constantly being compared to the grateful dead.
Jerry passed and they blew up along with 'Panic. Simple :pint:
not really. If anything, Jerry died and it kind of infected the phish scene with the bad element that was ruining the GD scene towards the end. This however did create the need for phish to play bigger venues more consistently so I guess you can say they blew up. :?
soam24
Art Freak

Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:09 pm

Panic blew up? They can't even play large venues to this day outside of the southeast
biscocrack420
Art Expert

Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:12 pm

^^fact^^
goldenrose
Art Expert

Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:20 pm

If there is one thing that Phish has taught me it's that nothing is sacred and humor belongs in music - however they contradict themselves in this regard when it comes to avoiding the Grateful Dead catalogue at all costs.

Regardless I am thrilled Trey will be playing the Dead's music this summer and don't believe Trey is being a shill for a money grab.
the reckless are out wrecking, the timid plead their pleas - robert hunter
applehead
Art Expert

Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:29 pm

soam24 wrote:Panic blew up? They can't even play large venues to this day outside of the southeast
truth
o4phish20o
Art Expert

Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:29 pm

goldenrose wrote:If there is one thing that Phish has taught me it's that nothing is sacred and humor belongs in music - however they contradict themselves in this regard when it comes to avoiding the Grateful Dead catalogue at all costs.

Regardless I am thrilled Trey will be playing the Dead's music this summer and don't believe Trey is being a shill for a money grab.
I think we will hear some Dead covers on tour this summer...

But let me say this.. Trey doesn't even remember how to play or the lyrics to all the songs he even wrote... I think the more a band creates on their own, the harder it gets to remember everything. .. especially something that's not even yours.
applehead
Art Expert

Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:31 pm

o4phish20o wrote:
earlgreytoast wrote:
goldenrose wrote:What I have never understood is the fact that Phish got their start doing Grateful Dead covers - check out early versions of Scarlet > Fire. However they have always had this elitist attitude not to do any Dead covers during the last 20 years of their career - save Terrapin Station as an encore just once in 98. The fact that Phish does covers practically every show by other bands and artists smacks of hypocrisy. I love Phish almost as much as the Grateful Dead but this has always left a bad taste in my mouth.

Hmmm, not sure you have your facts straight here brother. Although there are some Dead songs sprinkled throughout their early shows, I most definitely would not say that "Phish got their start doing Grateful Dead covers." They played a lot of covers by many different bands but leaned mostly on their originals, even early on.

And I think it WAS a calculated decision to stop doing Dead covers, but I don't see that as hypocrisy or elitism. I just think they realized early on, based on them letting people record their shows and their tendency to "jam," that many people were going to peg them as a Dead cover band if they kept playing Dead covers. I've never read a quote or article that addresses why they don't cover the Dead, this is just my opinion.
I agree with you EGT.

I think all bands start off playing covers first. It gets people in the doors... Attracts and makes fans. Sprinkling in originals with some covers... as time progresses & they got further and further away from the covers to only doing 1-2 a show now. That is what happens when you build a catalog worth of your own music.

both absolute truth
dutchflowers
Art Expert

Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:36 pm

soam24 wrote:Panic blew up? They can't even play large venues to this day outside of the southeast
Panic blew up (relatively speaking) for a short time after Phish went on Hiatus and the fans were left searching for tours to latch onto. They toured around as much as Phish so it was easy to slide into another tour for Phishheads IMO.
They've always had a steady south-eastern based core group of fans but their peak in popularity was hiatus 1.0->2.0
goldenrose
Art Expert

Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:37 pm

o4phish20o wrote:
goldenrose wrote:If there is one thing that Phish has taught me it's that nothing is sacred and humor belongs in music - however they contradict themselves in this regard when it comes to avoiding the Grateful Dead catalogue at all costs.

I think we will hear some Dead covers on tour this summer...

But let me say this.. Trey doesn't even remember how to play or the lyrics to all the songs he even wrote... I think the more a band creates on their own, the harder it gets to remember everything. .. especially something that's not even yours.
Haha agreed.
unbroken1
Art Expert

Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:45 pm

goldenrose wrote:If there is one thing that Phish has taught me it's that nothing is sacred and humor belongs in music
I learned that from Zappa
goldenrose
Art Expert

Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:57 pm

unbroken1 wrote:
goldenrose wrote:If there is one thing that Phish has taught me it's that nothing is sacred and humor belongs in music
I learned that from Zappa
Actually Phish learned that from Zappa as well :). But enough about Phish in the Grateful thread - sorry i stank it up.
Timbrh2001
Art Expert

Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:05 pm

Yeah, definitely no "blowing up" of WSP SUX.
Timbrh2001
Art Expert

Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:07 pm

partpat wrote:
biscocrack420 wrote:Lotsa butthurt surrounding these shows. It is what you make it, I'm going and am going to have an amazing experience.

drymount you , no your not - you arent doing it right bro yada yada yada.. :P

its gonna be a good time for those there w any sense.
Why don't you go take a goddamn time machine and go see some real Dead shows with Jer Bear? God such a cash grab!!!