The Grateful Thread...

Talk tunes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
User avatar
fredo
Art God
Posts: 25832
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:26 pm
Location: ENZEE

Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:16 pm

It's like your sentences don't even come from the same country.

Ps I love everything.
just a foil for me today, thanks
User avatar
Timbrh2001
Art Expert
Posts: 8416
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 9:49 pm
Location: 'Merica

Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:21 pm

fredo wrote:It's like your sentences don't even come from the same country.

Ps I love everything.
It's ok, depression is pretty common.
User avatar
TheBeard
Art Expert
Posts: 4500
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:47 am
Location: Vegass

Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:23 pm

I have nothing against what the remaining members are doing and if they have the need to get one last cash grab using the Grateful Dead moniker then so be it. I just feel that the corporate feeling that already surrounds this show and will continue to will in no way be indicative of the Grateful Dead experience.

And I agree with what that article said regarding Trey's involvement. If you're going to make it a Dead experience then why not bring aboard someone who was already close to the band? Having Trey shows just how oblivious all involved are to anything except for the cashflow that will be brought in by the incorporation of the supposed "new" grateful dead (phish) with the old when in reality the two bands are NOTHING alike. I also agree with the sentiment that these shows have no business taking place anywhere except the Bay area where it all began.

I used to grow dope up in Mendocino where a lot of the Dead extended family reside and the ones I have spoken to for the most part scoff at these shows and have zero interest in going.

That's not to say though it won't be a fantastic experience for those in attendance from a musical perspective.
Woodrocket podcast - http://itun.es/us/8lNFJ.c
User avatar
partpat
Art Expert
Posts: 9411
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:54 pm

Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:25 pm

Its gonna be a good time unless you come w dirty diapers and a bad attitude... Always lots to bitch about for sure
User avatar
biscocrack420
Art Expert
Posts: 5910
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:29 pm

Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:31 pm

Lotsa butthurt surrounding these shows. It is what you make it, I'm going and am going to have an amazing experience.
User avatar
partpat
Art Expert
Posts: 9411
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:54 pm

Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:33 pm

biscocrack420 wrote:Lotsa butthurt surrounding these shows. It is what you make it, I'm going and am going to have an amazing experience.

drymount you , no your not - you arent doing it right bro yada yada yada.. :P

its gonna be a good time for those there w any sense.
User avatar
unbroken1
Art Expert
Posts: 1456
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:00 am

Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:37 pm

"there is nothing like a grateful dead concert", if you are a fan then you have heard this numerous times.
Unfortunately fare thee well, which wants to sell itself as a GD concert, will not even come close. dont get me wrong, i was at the Terrapin Station family reunion in Alpine Valley 2002 and I want to be there for this, but i understood then and even more now that the magic is no longer there no matter how hard you try to recreate it. RIP jerbear, we miss and love you more than words can tell.
User avatar
biscocrack420
Art Expert
Posts: 5910
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:29 pm

Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:19 pm

haha whoever bought tickets to this thinking they were in for a grateful dead show probably weren't there to see Jerry anyway. i purchased tickets to see a grateful dead cover band with four original gd members and am more than happy about it. Jerrys been dead for 20 years its time to move on and not be concerned about what Jerry would want because he sure as hell isn't concerned :D
User avatar
TheBeard
Art Expert
Posts: 4500
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:47 am
Location: Vegass

Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:24 pm

biscocrack420 wrote:haha whoever bought tickets to this thinking they were in for a grateful dead show probably weren't there to see Jerry anyway. i purchased tickets to see a grateful dead cover band with four original gd members and am more than happy about it. Jerrys been dead for 20 years its time to move on and not be concerned about what Jerry would want because he sure as hell isn't concerned :D
I don't think Jerry was all that concerned even when he WAS alive lol
Woodrocket podcast - http://itun.es/us/8lNFJ.c
User avatar
goldenrose
Art Expert
Posts: 2925
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:29 pm

Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:28 pm

I already saw these shows back in 1998 when they toured as the Other Ones - sans Trey but otherwise the same line up minus the hype. The show wasn't sold out and my fondest memories are of hanging out in the lot - that was the only part that felt like a Dead show - deja vu with some seriously crazy fun sh*t going on.

If I made the effort to go to Chicago my feelings would be the same - I would very much look forward to the lot scene - probably would make me cry a little feeling sentimental. The show itself would be a mind f*ck situation listening to old Dead songs played at a snails pace and wincing every time Trey botched the lyrics. But I am very much looking forward to couch touring it.
the reckless are out wrecking, the timid plead their pleas - robert hunter
User avatar
unbroken1
Art Expert
Posts: 1456
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:00 am

Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:50 pm

goldenrose wrote:I already saw these shows back in 1998 when they toured as the Other Ones - sans Trey but otherwise the same line up minus the hype. The show wasn't sold out and my fondest memories are of hanging out in the lot - that was the only part that felt like a Dead show - deja vu with some seriously crazy fun sh*t going on.

If I made the effort to go to Chicago my feelings would be the same - I would very much look forward to the lot scene - probably would make me cry a little feeling sentimental. The show itself would be a mind f*ck situation listening to old Dead songs played at a snails pace and wincing every time Trey botched the lyrics. But I am very much looking forward to couch touring it.
Friggin A that 98 tour was fire! It was the first time Phil (no billy though, I think) was joining the further lineup and everyone was super stoked. I caught like the first 8 shows of that tour. I bought 8th row tix the day of the show at the box office for the 4th of July show at SPAC :shock: Such good times!
User avatar
goldenrose
Art Expert
Posts: 2925
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:29 pm

Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:58 pm

What I have never understood is the fact that Phish got their start doing Grateful Dead covers - check out early versions of Scarlet > Fire. However they have always had this elitist attitude not to do any Dead covers during the last 20 years of their career - save Terrapin Station as an encore just once in 98. The fact that Phish does covers practically every show by other bands and artists smacks of hypocrisy. I love Phish almost as much as the Grateful Dead but this has always left a bad taste in my mouth.
the reckless are out wrecking, the timid plead their pleas - robert hunter
User avatar
earlgreytoast
Art Expert
Posts: 8344
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:14 pm

Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:06 pm

goldenrose wrote:What I have never understood is the fact that Phish got their start doing Grateful Dead covers - check out early versions of Scarlet > Fire. However they have always had this elitist attitude not to do any Dead covers during the last 20 years of their career - save Terrapin Station as an encore just once in 98. The fact that Phish does covers practically every show by other bands and artists smacks of hypocrisy. I love Phish almost as much as the Grateful Dead but this has always left a bad taste in my mouth.

Hmmm, not sure you have your facts straight here brother. Although there are some Dead songs sprinkled throughout their early shows, I most definitely would not say that "Phish got their start doing Grateful Dead covers." They played a lot of covers by many different bands but leaned mostly on their originals, even early on.

And I think it WAS a calculated decision to stop doing Dead covers, but I don't see that as hypocrisy or elitism. I just think they realized early on, based on them letting people record their shows and their tendency to "jam," that many people were going to peg them as a Dead cover band if they kept playing Dead covers. I've never read a quote or article that addresses why they don't cover the Dead, this is just my opinion.
o4phish20o
Art Expert
Posts: 2278
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:00 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:10 pm

earlgreytoast wrote:
goldenrose wrote:What I have never understood is the fact that Phish got their start doing Grateful Dead covers - check out early versions of Scarlet > Fire. However they have always had this elitist attitude not to do any Dead covers during the last 20 years of their career - save Terrapin Station as an encore just once in 98. The fact that Phish does covers practically every show by other bands and artists smacks of hypocrisy. I love Phish almost as much as the Grateful Dead but this has always left a bad taste in my mouth.

Hmmm, not sure you have your facts straight here brother. Although there are some Dead songs sprinkled throughout their early shows, I most definitely would not say that "Phish got their start doing Grateful Dead covers." They played a lot of covers by many different bands but leaned mostly on their originals, even early on.

And I think it WAS a calculated decision to stop doing Dead covers, but I don't see that as hypocrisy or elitism. I just think they realized early on, based on them letting people record their shows and their tendency to "jam," that many people were going to peg them as a Dead cover band if they kept playing Dead covers. I've never read a quote or article that addresses why they don't cover the Dead, this is just my opinion.
I agree with you EGT.

I think all bands start off playing covers first. It gets people in the doors... Attracts and makes fans. Sprinkling in originals with some covers... as time progresses & they got further and further away from the covers to only doing 1-2 a show now. That is what happens when you build a catalog worth of your own music.
Post Reply