TOOL announces summer tour

Talk tunes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
Stingers
Art Expert

Mon May 10, 2010 12:47 pm

The thing with Tool live is they don't need all the bells and whistles in regards to stage set up , every tour imo .
Once you start restricting your set so much due to production values it lets the tour down as a whole .

Nine Inch Nails are a prime example of a band who toned it down and come back with some of their best shows in years .
One night of 4 at Brixton Academy they played the first 5 tracks in a row of Downward Spiral to open .
Then vastly different sets the other three nights , all awesome shows because of it .

It's arguable that the band has worked hard on a set presentation and want to execute that to each crowd , but the fact remains the best Tool shows I have seen were the ones where they did things like open with Triad , put Flood or H. in the same show and then the next night (or any other night on the tour) mix it up in a different way .
johnr1311
Art Expert

Mon May 10, 2010 12:52 pm

I heart Triad
dangerboy wrote:i think he thinks we think more about what he thinks than we actually think of what he thinks
tourist504
Art Expert

Mon May 10, 2010 12:56 pm

June 19 UNO Lakefront Arena, New Orleans, LA

woot. A-Toolgating we will go.

Thank goodness MJK loves New Orleans, cuz most big bands tend to skip our sleepy little city.
maden wrote:I would like to see a 16"+ diameter tube.
BlakeAronson wrote:This one is just big enough, but not too overwhelming in size.
jordachep wrote::drool: Can't believe the size. I want this so bad.
Imagex6
TheThirdEye
Art Expert

Mon May 10, 2010 2:46 pm

Since I was in Yosemite all weekend, my buddy picked me up a ticket for the SF show. I guess it sold out in under a minute. He said he purchased our set and then immediately tried again just to see if something was still available, but it had sold out. Glad it's a general admission show.
db23
Art Expert

Mon May 10, 2010 2:49 pm

how many members on this thread actually saw Tool when they played rock music and you could see their faces? that's when Tool was the best band in the world. the stuff with Maynard in a blow up suit and all the lighting effects, etc. is completely unnecessary and the reason i won't see them anymore.
johnr1311
Art Expert

Mon May 10, 2010 2:57 pm

Get real
dangerboy wrote:i think he thinks we think more about what he thinks than we actually think of what he thinks
db23
Art Expert

Mon May 10, 2010 3:00 pm

johnr1311 wrote:Get real
i know dude. they're so awesome still! i love the unnecessary theatrics. i don't see the rest of the bands i grew up with changing up their live show the way Tool has. they let the music speak for itself and Tool's music does that's why i f'ing hate where they've taken the live shows. Maynard did the same exact thing with A Perfect Circle and it's my opinion that it's unnecessary and takes away from the show. if i wanted to see Criss Angel do some magic i'd go to vegas.
db23
Art Expert

Mon May 10, 2010 3:20 pm

i apologize John. my last comment was rude and condescending. obviously you and most others still love the band so who am i to ridicule them or your feelings. i apologize. i'm still a big fan just don't enjoy them live anymore.
kyle
Art Expert

Mon May 10, 2010 4:06 pm

i see it from both sides.

as they were climbing the ladder of awesome and establishing themselves as the best band ever, they were fighting. they were muscling their way into our midst, into the center of the room, to the top of the platform. they didn't hold back. maynard was giving his all as a showman, as a beautiful freak. my favorite tour is aenima, where they still had these giant gonads in full swing from undertow, like monsters parading their supremacy, but the depth was so deep that even the darkest black had little flecks of jungian gold gleaming from beneath, hinting at some sort of ethereal breakthrough. the old bootlegs from before aenima where you can really see the band members faces are so damn good, and for a brief moment in time they capture what can only be a temporary suspension of awareness, the band not being aware that they are about to become larger than life, and the rock fans not being fully aware of what they are beholding.

once that moment was over and the smoke cleared and dust settled, there was no going back. they were gods. they couldn't just go out and stand there like normal people without the fans acting like maniacs. so i think they chose to distance themselves from being a band built on the image of the members, and instead utilize the visual art to convey ideas and give fans an image to project onto. adams creepy style combined with cam de leon to set the mood, then they bring in alex grey and he really becomes the visual embodiment for the band as they casually step back and enjoy being on top of the world.

so i definitely miss the old tool live show, but it wasn't something that could have lasted in that form. the band members weren't little punk rock kids when they started, they were already almost 30 weren't they ? so you can see how after a few years they could outgrow certain behavior and want to express more, like how the band embraces the use of the projector screens to make statements or spread ideas that can only be done with that visual medium. they can also reach a larger fan base with those images, and make more money. :mrgreen:
Codeblue wrote:Hork is God, Jesus, the 12 disciples, Santa Claus, and the Easter Bunny all rolled into one beautiful lanky package.
db23
Art Expert

Mon May 10, 2010 4:37 pm

Kyle you are awesome. That said, did Nirvana change their live show when they went from 500 capacity to stadiums? Did Pearl Jam change? Hell, did NIN change all that much? Maybe i'm way off base here. Seeing Tool in a 500 capacity venue in college in total darkness but all three dudes wailing with Maynard painted blue from head to toe was a religious experience. Then when i moved to LA, seeing Maynard wheeled onstage in a wheel chair in front of 3000 people and tearing through their set was a different religious experience but an amazing one nonetheless. But seeing them at the Forum and then on with all this new hi tech fudge has really left a bad taste in my mouth.
snowrider04
Art Connoisseur

Mon May 10, 2010 4:53 pm

I'm in the camp that even a lackluster Tool show is still a good show. I've seen them on every tour since Undertow and I'm never disappointed. After being exposed to them at Lollapalooza 92 I was hooked and have never looked back. I've enjoyed every Tool performance I've ever seen and even if the setlist is similar it is still great to hear the tunes live. I've also seen them in a variety of different venues from outdoor (Coachella, Shoreline-CA) to big indoor (Las Vegas Arena, Oracle Arena-CA) to small indoor (Paramount Theater-CA) and each venue provided a unique experience. I'll always remember every Tool show I've been too, I can't say that other bands have provided an equally memorable experience.

+2 for SF shows, so happy I got in before the quick sell-out. See you at BGCA!
TheThirdEye
Art Expert

Mon May 10, 2010 5:57 pm

snowrider04 wrote:small indoor (Paramount Theater-CA)
I was there, and it was by far the best of the "new" Tool shows I've seen in the past few years. Such an intimate setting in an extremely beautiful and historic venue was just awesome. Security would not even let you bring a pack of smokes into the building for fear of damage. I remember they only let you bring water into the stage area. You had to drink anything else in the lobby. Meeting the band (sans Maynard) after the show in back of the theater was pretty cool too. Adam and Danny are really cool down to earth guys.

That place was one of the coolest venues I've ever been to.

lobby:

seating:

I was in the second row of the balcony level and was practically closer to the stage than most of the people on the lower level. Plus security made everyone in the first row sit down for fear of them falling off the balcony. So it was kind of like I was in the first row since no one was obstructing my view. My buddy and I were offered $500 each for our tickets before we went in. Obviously we declined.
snowrider04
Art Connoisseur

Mon May 10, 2010 7:56 pm

TheThirdEye wrote:
snowrider04 wrote:small indoor (Paramount Theater-CA)
Such an intimate setting in an extremely beautiful and historic venue was just awesome.
I went down to the venue with a ticket in like the last row on the floor, not great seats and the sound is horrible. I was hoping to trade for something better and met a guy at Luka's Tap Room who had an extra for third row. He did an even trade with me and I bought him a t-shirt inside, f'ing score! I was spitting distance from the band and the sound was amazing, probably the best Tool performance I've seen aside from Coachella 99.
johnr1311
Art Expert

Mon May 10, 2010 8:19 pm

Do I miss the old TOOL? Yeah sure I do, but doesnt everyone miss their life 20 years ago?
db23 wrote:
i know dude. they're so awesome still! i love the unnecessary theatrics. i don't see the rest of the bands i grew up with changing up their live show the way Tool has. they let the music speak for itself and Tool's music does that's why i f'ing hate where they've taken the live shows. Maynard did the same exact thing with A Perfect Circle and it's my opinion that it's unnecessary and takes away from the show. if i wanted to see Criss Angel do some magic i'd go to vegas.
They consistantly (relative term) put out good music, continue to tour, put on amazing shows, and still have time to do what they want to do with their lives. The above is all opinion, but not a stretch by anyone in this forums opinion.

If you dont go to their live shows and have hated them (live shows) for so long, why do you think you know so much about them, and why are you in this forum talking about the summer tour?

What bands from the nineties have stayed together the entire time and continue to tour? Pear Jam is one exception. This band is as tight with each other as its fans are with them.
hellosir
Art Freak

Tue May 11, 2010 3:10 pm

johnr1311 wrote: What bands from the nineties have stayed together the entire time and continue to tour? Pear Jam is one exception. This band is as tight with each other as its fans are with them.
Radiohead too. They had an amazing light show set up, and managed to change up their setlists all the time. Does Tool sync up the theatrics with the songs? I still don't understand why every city gets the same exact show on tour.