TOOL announces summer tour

Talk tunes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:15 pm

Pretty lulsy what some (most) artists are charging for their APs. Hopefully it's not the only way they're being compensated because I doubt most of em are gonna be able to sell their full allotments.
Last edited by Codeblue on Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
thebends9
Art Expert

Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:01 pm

brewdog123
Art Connoisseur

Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:56 am

Codeblue wrote:
Pretty lulsy what some (most) artists are charging for their APs. Hopefully it's not the only way they're being compensated.
yes it is. but it is all driven by the tool facebook groups, as i am a member of at least 3 maybe 4 for several years and have been watching from a distance. all the members in the groups were shitting themselves by getting Adi Granov to "doodle" their prints. now they were awesome "doodles" but they are more than that, they are new drawings on the prints (i feel like it takes a little from the actual print, particularly the new doodles), and if you are in to that...cool. so anyway all these Adi doodles started about 3 years ago, when he released his atl and charlotte tool prints. people were getting these doodles on his prints at comiccons and other cons, and the ball begin snowballing on Adi and his prints and his doodles. So there is an influx of new fans for tool, at least in the last 10 years, and many of these new fans think these doodles are par for the course, no matter the artist. So basically fans have been demanding doodles/throwing money from all the artists on this tour and the artists are responding with a resounding yes and a significant fee. As cool as these re-marques are, i am not sure they are doodles (ala emek signature doodles), but these new influx of fans are eating them up as fast as these artist or other people are posting them.

no real point, just some observations
beetlejuice
Art Connoisseur

Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:03 pm

If you guys haven't seen the comedians that are doing their tour around TOOL dates then check them out. Scovel is amazing just on his own. Plus they are going all in on using TOOL in everyway to help sell it. http://nottoolband.com
Go ahead, make my millennium.
Kramerica
Art Freak

Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:05 pm

brewdog123 wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:56 am
Codeblue wrote:
Pretty lulsy what some (most) artists are charging for their APs. Hopefully it's not the only way they're being compensated.
yes it is. but it is all driven by the tool facebook groups, as i am a member of at least 3 maybe 4 for several years and have been watching from a distance. all the members in the groups were shitting themselves by getting Adi Granov to "doodle" their prints. now they were awesome "doodles" but they are more than that, they are new drawings on the prints (i feel like it takes a little from the actual print, particularly the new doodles), and if you are in to that...cool. so anyway all these Adi doodles started about 3 years ago, when he released his atl and charlotte tool prints. people were getting these doodles on his prints at comiccons and other cons, and the ball begin snowballing on Adi and his prints and his doodles. So there is an influx of new fans for tool, at least in the last 10 years, and many of these new fans think these doodles are par for the course, no matter the artist. So basically fans have been demanding doodles/throwing money from all the artists on this tour and the artists are responding with a resounding yes and a significant fee. As cool as these re-marques are, i am not sure they are doodles (ala emek signature doodles), but these new influx of fans are eating them up as fast as these artist or other people are posting them.

no real point, just some observations
Most aren't "doodles", IMO. The stuff Chet Zar and Adi are adding are definitely more refined than, say, Adam Jones putting a spiral on the print when he signs it. Remarque is definitely a more appropriate term. The one with the horns Adi was taking offers on went for something like $2300 and people were still willing to offer him more. Which seems nuts to me, but clearly not to plenty of others. I am also not a fan of the artist signing the print in a big colored pen, like the band. I prefer an artist sig in pencil, preferably in one of the lower corners.

I do wonder about compensation. For some of the prints the artwork was a pre-existing piece from the artist that was just appropriated for the poster. Since they also get band-signed posters, I wonder how much of their "pay" that represents?
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
mattlew69
Art Expert

Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:18 pm

Where can you get a look at what Chet is adding on the prints? Tried to see something on his Instagram or Facebook but came up with nothing.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:35 pm

Kramerica wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:05 pm
I do wonder about compensation. For some of the prints the artwork was a pre-existing piece from the artist that was just appropriated for the poster. Since they also get band-signed posters, I wonder how much of their "pay" that represents?
I have a feeling that's it. It's also a reason I assume he chose mostly "unknown" artists this time around.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
pjsteelerfan
Art Expert

Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:30 pm

Glad I got my band signed poster two years ago when they were only like $100. Inflation is a bitch.
brewdog123
Art Connoisseur

Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:34 pm

mattlew69 wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:18 pm
Where can you get a look at what Chet is adding on the prints? Tried to see something on his Instagram or Facebook but came up with nothing.
from FB. most of the chet "doodles" i found on a very quick search

Kramerica
Art Freak

Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:40 pm

Someone in one of the fan groups had a setup with Chet where you could send your print and he would remarque it, which is where the majority I have seen come from, rather than his actual AP sales. No clue how much it was to get a remarque but a cool move, nonetheless.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
mattlew69
Art Expert

Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:01 pm

Ahhh, I thought he was showing off his new doodles for his portion of the prints he gets to release.

Sounds like you have to be one of his $50 a month Patreon subscribers to even come close to snatching any of the posters he will release in the future.

BTW, I did a quick facebook search for "Chet Zar Tool Doodle" and came up with nothing. I also dont belong to any of the Tool fan pages.
schmoff
Art Expert

Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:21 pm

any idea where i can score the atlantic city print besides ebay? not on any tool boards
Kramerica
Art Freak

Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:49 pm

Artist is Esad Ribic but his online presence is scant at best. Not sure of an official store or anything and his social media accounts (that I can find) are barely active. There is a B/S/T group on FB that you could probably find one in. If you aren't on FB, I am not sure how else to find a copy, other than ebay.
schmoff
Art Expert

Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:12 pm

yea i know he is a comic artist that has no website etc
which BST group are you suggesting?
guryter
Art Expert

Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:21 pm

That's the show I was at, and ebay looks like the only place at the moment. I'm not a buyer at current prices however, especially the ebay auctions with pictures of shoes and other random items holding down the print.
Stingers wrote:If you can't get it up eat less fudge, excersise and stop being a kitten.
john38103 wrote:All gin every thing. drymount all you hoes.
Relax, I honestly don't give a fudge.