What are you listening to RIGHT NOW??

Talk tunes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
ketstroxan
Art Expert

Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:52 pm

iratasan wrote:
ketstroxan wrote:Image
that is one fine ass album. i would even go as far as saying that this is a LEGENDARY album. anybody who has even the slightest idea what hip hop really stood for must own this baby.
admittedly i don't know much about hip hop, but i like that record.
iratasan
Flipper

Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:55 pm

ketstroxan wrote:
iratasan wrote:
that is one fine ass album. i would even go as far as saying that this is a LEGENDARY album. anybody who has even the slightest idea what hip hop really stood for must own this baby.
admittedly i don't know much about hip hop, but i like that record.
if you like that record then you have understood more about hiphop than most people that nowadays claim to know about hip hop.
jimmy4wmu
Art Expert

Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:19 pm

spunkmonkey wrote:Easily one of the top 5 most influential rap records ever released.
influential to who? Hiphop and rap truly has never appreciated this album. It is incredible though, I posted it before and I'll say it again, Dust Brothers and the boys made a masterpiece with this album
fluffhead13 wrote:after an A in multidimensional calculus and an A in matrices and differential equations, how dare u questions my math skills.
http://www.distractyourface.com
haven
Art Expert

Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:42 pm

We used to listen to this all the time back in college when it first came out. Still love it.
RITFW
Art Expert

Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:57 pm

jamel-d
Art Freak

Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:03 am

THE HORKEY CLUB 2013,14,15,16,17,18,19
ReverendToneZone
Art Expert

Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:12 pm

spunkmonkey
Art Expert

Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:17 pm

jimmy4wmu wrote:
spunkmonkey wrote:Easily one of the top 5 most influential rap records ever released.
influential to who? Hiphop and rap truly has never appreciated this album. It is incredible though, I posted it before and I'll say it again, Dust Brothers and the boys made a masterpiece with this album
Mainly to producers. The Dust Brothers showed the rest of the world what was possible, even if the Beasties couldn't rap their way out of a paper bag.
RupertPupkin
Art Expert

Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:50 pm

The way sampling was used on that album broke the mould. They were far from the first to sample other people's breaks but no-one had used so many in one track (and used them so well) before the Dust Brothers. Influential not only on hip hop but on genres of music that came after eg trip hop
this aggression will not stand, man.
edgar
Art Expert

Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:56 pm

RupertPupkin wrote:The way sampling was used on that album broke the mould. They were far from the first to sample other people's breaks but no-one had used so many in one track (and used them so well) before the Dust Brothers. Influential not only on hip hop but on genres of music that came after eg trip hop

and also changed the way sampling was dealt with from a legal standpoint. if i'm not mistaken, that was the last album made with "free" samples (before every thing used/sampled needed to be cleared+/or paid for.
Grateful69Phish wrote:anybody this stupid doesn't become naturally intelligent!
RupertPupkin
Art Expert

Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:59 pm

Mmmm I love this album so much

this aggression will not stand, man.
Imatruck
Art Expert

Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:36 pm

Lou Reed - New York
mlinderer
Art Expert

Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:46 pm

This cd has not gotten old one bit in the 4 months that I've had it in the rotation in my car.
liamc93
Art Expert

Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:51 pm

coleslaw
Art Expert

Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:33 am

http://www.dead.net/features/tapers-sec ... ry-25-2009

As we mentioned last week, we're going stick within a two year or so period this week at Tapers' Section, 1969-1971, but the music's great, so we hope you don't mind.

Our first stop this week is at the Avalon Ballroom in San Francisco, on 1/25/69, where the Grateful Dead were playing the middle night of a three night run of shows that was being recorded for Live/Dead. This run of shows, as some of you might know, was the first live recording to the then-brand-new technology of 16 track audio tape. The more common 8 track tape had been in use for live recording for a few years, but in late 1968 the folks at Ampex created the first 2” 16 track recording machines, which, of course, the Grateful Dead had to try. From the middle show, we have this terrific Dark Star.

Next up is a stop in Hawaii, to a show on 1/23/70, the first of a two night run of shows that would prove to be Tom Constanten's final shows as an official member of the Grateful Dead. From this show, we have the great 1-2 punch of classic 1970 Grateful Dead: Good Lovin', That's It For The Other One. A week later the Grateful Dead would be playing in New Orleans, where they were busted on Bourbon Street, and the rest is history…

Speaking of being busted on Bourbon Street, we'll start our next sequence of music, from 1/24/71 in Seattle, with the song that was inspired by that and other events on the road, followed by some other great 1971 Grateful Dead: Truckin', China Cat Sunflower>I Know You Rider, Hurts Me Too, Cumberland Blues. As way out there as 1971 could get with The Other One and Dark Star, it is also great to hear how perfectly the Grateful Dead were able to pull off blues and country music.

Finally this week, we have another jam from the same week as the one above, from 1/21/71 at UC Davis, located about halfway between San Francisco and Sacramento, and home to an outstanding veterinary college. From this show, we have Mama Tried, Around and Around, Cumberland Blues, Casey Jones. Mickey was still in the band but would stay for less than a month before pursuing other things, including producing the amazing Rolling Thunder album.

Next week we'll have a whole lot of 1978 Grateful Dead for you, plus a little taste of 1966. Well, perhaps not so little. Have a great week, and we'll see you here at the Tapers' Section next Monday.

David Lemieux
vault@dead.net
“But as Garcia said, you know, the '60s ain't over till the fat lady gets high. And that means that whatever it takes to get you high: sometimes grief, sometimes it's prayer, fasting. I prefer a joint.”-Ken Kesey