Old School & Underground Hip Hop discussion thread...

Talk tunes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
kassdnb
Art Expert

Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:03 pm

And this Z-trip part 2 is SICK!!!
and FYI...

He makes the BEST mixtapes for parties for party people with mixed musical tastes...

Just pop in Uneasy Listening Vol. 1 at a party and see what happens ;)

https://soundcloud.com/z-trip/sets/unea ... ning-vol-1
sidewaysscott
Art God

Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:04 pm

gonna have a listen now. :D
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
sidewaysscott
Art God

Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:06 pm

Anyone ever listen to Necro?

That dude cracks me up!
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
kassdnb
Art Expert

Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:10 pm

sidewaysscott wrote:Anyone ever listen to Necro?

That dude cracks me up!
Heard of him, but nothing beyond...

A self-acclaimed Jewish Rapper though. Interesting. Will have to check it out now :pint:
sidewaysscott
Art God

Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:11 pm

Check out "I need drugs" by Necro.
sidewaysscott
Art God

Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:15 pm

kassdnb wrote:And this Z-trip part 2 is SICK!!!

and FYI...

He makes the BEST mixtapes for parties for party people with mixed musical tastes...

Now, while I'm listening to this, I have to say when I think of Old School / Underground Hip - Hop, I don't think of a dance party. That is what I get out of DJ Z-Trip, a dance party.

Old School hip-hop makes me want to chill, smoke a joint or three, and relax. :lol:
MooreSaxPlease
Art Expert

Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:16 pm

sidewaysscott wrote:Anyone ever listen to Necro?

That dude cracks me up!
Just listened to "Raw Talent". Lolz
MooreSaxPlease
Art Expert

Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:25 pm

Cage Kennylz, anyone?
RadRacing
Art Expert

Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:31 pm

Bickel wrote:
finneganm wrote:Is it lame if I consider Endtroducing one of my favorite "hip-hop" albums of all time?
Not. At. All.
definetly not. That album reminds me of some great times in my life.

In re: to Kool Keith, I only ever liked him Ultrmagnetic. I tried to get into the Dr. Oct, Black Elvis etc but never could. A little out there for me
RadRacing
Art Expert

Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:40 pm

kassdnb wrote:
db23 wrote:i saw Public Enemy and Schoolly D the other night in Indianapolis. Schoolly D!
Schoolly D, that dude is definitely nice!!!

And I just found out (like yesteday) that P.E. and Brother Ali just put a new joint out on their last album...
No chance he was there with them too, was he?
I got to hang with Brother Ali the summer before last for a long day at a video shoot up here in Canada (I work(ed) for an independent label for years). We had a long drive on a bus to the location and we sat next to each other. He's a great dude, super down to earth and (obviously) smart with being condescending at all. Watch the Throne had just dropped and we were all discussing it at length....Here's the vid (it turned out a little mediocre, but Ali kills it) if anyone is interested..
Last edited by RadRacing on Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kassdnb
Art Expert

Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:40 pm

sidewaysscott wrote:
kassdnb wrote:And this Z-trip part 2 is SICK!!!

and FYI...

Now, while I'm listening to this, I have to say when I think of Old School / Underground Hip - Hop, I don't think of a dance party. That is what I get out of DJ Z-Trip, a dance party.

Old School hip-hop makes me want to chill, smoke a joint or three, and relax. :lol:
Yea, I do totally feel ya on the underground tip for sure. Don't think I've ever heard a current underground hip hop track that made me wanna "shake dat ass."

But I definitely feel Z-Trip's influence from these cats...
Which are some examples of the first truest & purest Old School Hip Hop.
kassdnb
Art Expert

Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:45 pm

RadRacing wrote:
kassdnb wrote:
db23 wrote:i saw Public Enemy and Schoolly D the other night in Indianapolis. Schoolly D!
Schoolly D, that dude is definitely nice!!!

And I just found out (like yesteday) that P.E. and Brother Ali just put a new joint out on their last album...
No chance he was there with them too, was he?
I got to hang with Brother Ali the summer before last for a long day at a video shoot up here in Canada (I work(ed) for an independent label for years). We had a long drive on a bus to the location and we sat next to each other. He's a great dude, super down to earth and (obviously) smart with being condescending at all. Watch the Throne had just dropped and we were all discussing it at length....Here's the vid (it turned out a little mediocre, but Ali kills it) if anyone is interested..
[flash=425,344]
http://www.youtube.com/v/A8US9jC04R0[/flash]
Cool story and checking the video out now!!!

I was also wondering... Is he fully blind in one eye, or both? I've never tried to research him to find out, but on the "Us" intro he obviously points it out but I've never known.

And yea, he's way fresh... And I think he killed it with this video...
kassdnb
Art Expert

Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:46 pm

And oh yea... This cut with him and Freeway is super nice...
Bickel

Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:55 pm

No "old-school hip-hop" conversation is complete without mention of its counterparts, street art and b-boying:

"The Freshest Kids":
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0361638/
"Infamy" (this one is directed by Doug Pray, director of "Scratch", and the Ken Burns of urban life)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0462360/
Kramerica
Art Freak

Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:58 pm

MooreSaxPlease wrote:Cage Kennylz, anyone?
Loved that Hell's Winter release. Went to the Pitchfork music fest. one year just for him, Aesop Rock and Matmos and the drymounters scheduled Cage and Aesop at the same time on different stages. :x
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH