MMA News, Rumors & Results

An arena for athletics. Post lifetime is 1 year.
Baker
Art Expert

Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:07 am

Codeblue wrote:P.S. Weidman won the first round too.
One of the judges who obviously wasnt paying attention still gave the first round to Silva. Not sure how someone could see it that way. Not that it mattered. People saying it takes some of the sine off the win because of the way it happened, I totally disagree. A win is a win, just because Silva acted like a fool and got KTFO, he still got KO. Congrats to Weidman, he is still improving as a fighter and will be ever tougher his next outing. If they rematch like we expect maybe Silva takes it a bit more seriously next time...
ironjaiden wrote: "'Weener in June' is completely sold out, thanks for the interest"
Stroma
Art Expert

Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:00 am

MovieManJeff1012 wrote:Man, I have been a part of and around the fight game for so long and have never seen anything like that before. Did Silva just get overconfident and caught? Did he want to lose? I don't know. This fight felt so weird, which is why people are crying foul, but at the same time, Silva wants to do plenty of things that being champion wouldn't allow!

I predict he will box Roy Jones Jr., then rematch Weidman, the go on a 9 fight streak with fights against first GSP and finally Jones. That is unless either of those two loss first!
At 38yrs old, he's definitely not going to finish out his contract. The contract included all those fights to ensure he would not jump ship to another promotion or leave as the champion. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Silva lost his next fight. Fighters seem to go from atop the mountain to a downward slide out of nowhere; Chuck, Fedor, and BJ all come to mind. Does the downward spiral mean a physical deterioration? Not necessarily. What you'll find with some of these fighters who've been super successful is they lose the desire to train and fight, and their competition catches up to them. You have to keep in mind that once a fighter is knocked out, they're more susceptible to future knockouts.

Does this loss (in devastating fashion no less) affect Silva's legacy? No, but it will lose some of its luster. Had Fedor and Silva retired without their recent losses, they'd be perceived as these indestructible mythical figures. How can you not recall their historic losses when they're brought up in discussions?
Have you ever tasted skin?
mr_rugby
Art Expert

Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:06 am

Stroma wrote:The contract included all those fights to ensure he would not jump ship to another promotion or leave as the champion.
Every contract that is signed has a clause in it preventing you from leaving the UFC if you are champion even if you have no more fights left on your contract. I think it's called the Jens Pulver clause.

"This is where my 'facing hopelessness with a defiant smile and raised middle finger' comes from--from the realization that everyone ends up like Anderson Silva, fallen and face down," "But just because the universe will one day open its jaws to swallow you is no reason to lose the zest for the game while it lasts. Squeeze as much joy out of your ride as possible right up until the second when your very own Chris Weidman will find you." - Daniele Bolelli
kassdnb
Art Expert

Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:14 am

I think after 6+ years of having to fight who Dana and Lorenzo says he has to fight coupled with daily/weekly UFC dog and pony shows and everything else that comes with having "UFC Champion of the World" position, the dude just got burned out and figured it was time. He even seemed impatient and frustrated with Weidman seeming to play it safe at the beginning I thought. Like Anderson was wanting to get knocked out and the fight over with so he can return to being a just a fighter again. I actually remembered him talking about retiring after his first contract was over so he could get fat and eat popcorn... but just train and not fight. :lol:

I also found it interesting that he instantly knew he had 10 fights left when Joe interviewed him which again is another reason why I think he knew he was going to loose. And he's fought that way before but never that risky and stupid. I remember in around 2009 when he fought Thales Leites it was a 5 round, less than stellar fight where he did the same kind of taunting and drymounting around but didn't get knocked out and won on a decision. There were a few other fights right around then too (Coyte?) that he just didn't seem to be "in the game." I even remember Dana doing some serious trash talking about his performances, but then they must of whipped him in shape or bought some houses and cars.

So yea, I don't think it's a big mystery or cryptic message. The dude is just burned out being the champion and want's somebody else to have the belt and take the position. To me that's a generous thing to do and the guy's pretty much proven all a fighter needs to prove. And then some. Time and time again.

So I say congrats Anderson Silva :pint: :notworthy: :clap:

Now let's see Shogun v Anderson before they get too old!

EDIT: Found the interview of him wanting to retire http://www.break.com/video/ugc/anderson ... ver-588603

And the Dana White interview... lol
Looks like I have to rewatch UFC 112 :shock:
misterx
Art Expert

Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:25 am

I think you are meaning demian Maia fighting AS at 112.
War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.
mrkyuss
Art God

Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:42 am

After seeing Oliviera show a bit of heart, I can't seem him losing much in the near future.
President of the DALeast MAN LOVE club.
President of the Late Night Crew (LNC).
joshua
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:28 pm

ImageImage
ISO...
misterx
Art Expert

Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:52 pm

:shock: yet two minutes later, theyre hugging and kissing!

Still soooo disappointed in how this fight went down...so much potential for a classic...
mr_rugby
Art Expert

Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:09 pm

Andy seemed "off" all week. Strange bird. I think Chris' really got into Andy's head.
Stroma
Art Expert

Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:37 pm

Had me laughing
misterx
Art Expert

Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:04 pm

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/7/11/45 ... video-blog

What a cool video...just watch( can't embed, sorry).

And Brian Stann retired today.
OtisMcfluster
Art Expert

Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:12 pm

I for one, also turn to Usher for saged wisdom during life's great trials and tribulations.
willg
Art Expert

Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:04 pm

misterx wrote:http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/7/11/45 ... video-blog

What a cool video...just watch( can't embed, sorry).

And Brian Stann retired today.

Also got a gig announcing college football.
Stroma
Art Expert

Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:10 pm

OtisMcfluster wrote:I for one, also turn to Usher for saged wisdom during life's great trials and tribulations.
I think Anderson was disappointed that he didn't get to show off any of his post victory dance moves that Usher had been working with him on.
misterx
Art Expert

Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:26 pm

OtisMcfluster wrote:I for one, also turn to Usher for saged wisdom during life's great trials and tribulations.
The connection there is Usher trains with AS in LA apparently.