MMA News, Rumors & Results

An arena for athletics. Post lifetime is 1 year.
mr_rugby
Art Expert

Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:55 pm

UFC Marketing at it's best.... :roll:

This
vs.
That
misterx
Art Expert

Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:37 pm

Like Jones but hope Evans wins,
a. Because the UFC sponsoring Jones is definitely a conflict of interests,
b.It will flip the division on its head,
and ..
c.I am sick to death of Jones' smug comments about how good he is....even though they may be true.
War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.
mr_rugby
Art Expert

Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:44 pm

misterx wrote:Because the UFC sponsoring Jones is definitely a conflict of interests,
Rumor has it that Alistair Overeem is/was also sponsored by the UFC as well.

I can't stand Jones

The UFC has made it pretty clear that they want Jones to win this fight. I'll never forget Lorenzo Fertitta's and Dana White face when they put the belt around Randy Couture waist after he beat Chuck Liddel.
mr_rugby
Art Expert

Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:24 am

Dana White via Twitter: Taking off to Atlanta!!!! May 26 th is now Mir vs JDS for the HW title in Las Vegas at the MGM Grand.
willg
Art Expert

Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:36 am

mr_rugby wrote:Dana White via Twitter: Taking off to Atlanta!!!! May 26 th is now Mir vs JDS for the HW title in Las Vegas at the MGM Grand.
Huh, figured they wouldn't announce until the 24th.
schmoff
Art Expert

Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:08 pm

no comments on last night?
sixstringer
Art Expert

Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:31 pm

another classic example of a "lackluster card" churning out a pretty damn entertaining night of fights!
Baker
Art Expert

Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:52 pm

Had some good fights on the card. I was a bit surprised Rashad actually lasted through the fight, I thought Jones would finish him. Otherwise that fight went about how I thought it would. Ive always been a Torres fan so was bummed to see him go out cold like that. Still entertaining for sure.

More than anything though I liked the announcement that Hendo gets a crack at Jones next :pint:
ironjaiden wrote: "'Weener in June' is completely sold out, thanks for the interest"
mr_rugby
Art Expert

Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:14 pm

mr_rugby wrote:Dana White via Twitter: Taking off to Atlanta!!!! May 26 th is now Mir vs JDS for the HW title in Las Vegas at the MGM Grand.
Antonio ‘Bigfoot’ Silva replaces Frank Mir against Cain Velasquez at UFC 146
misterx
Art Expert

Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:42 pm

Dana White ‏ @danawhite
Roy Nelson vs Gabe Gonzaga
War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.
mr_rugby
Art Expert

Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:44 pm

Hector Lombard signs with the UFC

Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney:

"We have a business model where we make decisions based on analyzing data," he said. "Since the first day we came into being, we made decisions based on real models, not hypotheticals. The UFC model is largely based on pay-per-view, and the offer they made to Hector is going to be monetized via pay-per-view. While pay-per-view could play a role in our future, today it doesn't. So, we did our due diligence to review the UFC contract, analyzed it in terms of charging our audience to see Hector vs. putting him on free TV, and we decided to allow the UFC to sign Hector, where I am extremely confident he will win the UFC middleweight title on pay-per-view."

"There was no reason to make him wait. We got the information. We got the very long UFC contract, looked at the data, did the analysis, and made our decision."

"He was a great fighter here, and there's no doubt in my mind he'll be a great fighter when he goes to the UFC. I've said for a long time he's the best middleweight in the world, and I think he'll win the UFC title in short order."
DeltaSigChi4
Flipper

Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:52 pm

Interesting information being made public by CEO. It is clear that they had a contract that allowed them to match any competitor's offers before a fighter could sign with a competing company (franchise-like clause). Also interesting regarding the PPV revenue statement. Maybe this is the way to go for any fighter that is being shopped by ZUFFA who is anchored to another company by a right-to-match contract. Any lawyers here?

E
mr_rugby
Art Expert

Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:49 pm

DeltaSigChi4 wrote:Interesting information being made public by CEO. It is clear that they had a contract that allowed them to match any competitor's offers before a fighter could sign with a competing company (franchise-like clause). Also interesting regarding the PPV revenue statement. Maybe this is the way to go for any fighter that is being shopped by ZUFFA who is anchored to another company by a right-to-match contract. Any lawyers here?

E
You should see what the UFC contract is like. When Tito was looking for "other options" the UFC had a clause in his contract saying the UFC had up to one year to match or beat any offer that is presented to one of their fighters. So if the UFC doesn't really care for you, they will wait 364 days then tell you we can't/won't match your offer. You are free to pursue "other options". This could easily eat up 24 months of your career. I won't even go into the champion clause...this is also known as the Jens Pulver clause.

PPV cuts is where the real money is at. This past weekends PPV rumored number of buys was 700,000. Here is something I read today: Jones got $400,000 for the win and Evans got $300,000 for the loss, but with PPV points, both will be well into the seven figures.
mr_rugby
Art Expert

Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:59 pm

This should bring everyone up to speed:

It took the UFC president 75 minutes to convince Silva to fight Chael Sonnen in Las Vegas instead of Rio de Janeiro and this was the reason for the press conference delay yesterday, reports Gustavo Noblat of OGlobo.com. The talk was heated - initially Anderson refused to change the venue. Dana White spoke about the potential of the Pay-per-view sales it would generate and in the end, he guaranteed a good percentage of the pay-per-view share to Anderson.

Jose Aldo vs. Eric Koch 'likely' at UFC 147 or 149

Antonio Nogueira vs. Cheick Kongo scheduled for UFC 149

Chris Weidman vs. Mark Munoz to main event UFC on Fuel 4. 7/11/12 Location TBA

Overeem's license has been denied by NSAC; he may re-apply in 9 months

Jon Jones vs. Dan Henderson being considered for UFC 149 in Calgary
lcsproductions
Art Connoisseur

Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:13 pm

I was sad to see Torres lose ...he was such an excellent creative fighter in his prime.

The main card went as I thought it would. I really wanted Rashad to come out and be creative and look for the win but it was evident pretty early that wasn't going to happen. Credit to him for staying in there for 5 round. I thought Jones' plan of attack was excellent and given their past history he brought something new that Rashad hadn't seen to the equation.

Rashad's comments after the fight were pretty classy considering all the smack talk that went on before hand.

IMO it seems as if UFC has always been sponsoring / favoring certain fighters. Sometimes its nice to see them lose and their plans go backward. I agree that it seems like a conflict of interest but look at baseball or hockey where both have ended up owning a failed franchise which is def a conflict of interest.
$250 for the pair shipped and insured. Both are mint. Shipping should be around 7 or 8 bucks.

FYI: this was the collection that didn't make my walls, still beats your shitty little collections...and if it doesn't, I still couldn't care less.