MMA News, Rumors & Results

An arena for athletics. Post lifetime is 1 year.
mr_rugby
Art Expert

Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:36 pm

Baker wrote:lets talk about Big Countrys face after that fight, ouch.
inkedup
Art Expert

Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:51 pm

I decided to watch the fight again today while I was sober and that was definitely a tough one to call. I see rounds 1 and 2 going to Diaz, 3 and 4 to Condit, and the 5th really could of gone either way. I expected the fight to be a lot more entertaining, Carlos stuck with the safe game plan and out pointed Nick with leg kicks, but at the same time I think Nick landed the harder shots and obviously pushed the pace. Carlos did a great job of staying off the cage but there was a few times he literally had his back to Nick while he was running away and looking over his shoulder. Good win for Condit but the nickname "natural born killer" seems a bit far fetched after watching that fight.
Stroma
Art Expert

Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:11 pm

MovieManJeff1012 wrote:I am not really sure why people are saying Condit was unwilling to engage and "ran" the entire fight. This really couldn't be farther from the truth. If you want to see someone run an entire fight and not engage, check out Kalib Starnes vs Nate Quarry or Houston Alexander vs Kimbo Slice!

His whole game plan was to not stay in the pocket with Diaz and to counter then move away. If anyone is to blame for the outcome of the fight, blame Diaz or his corner. They did not alter the game plan and they got beat. If you don't think he lost the fight, check fight metric. Condit had 50 more significant strikes.

Condit had the perfect game plan for beating a guy like Nick Diaz who likes to force you into a slugfest and wear you down with his pure volume of punches. Look at Noons, Penn, Daley, Santos, Zaromskis, or Shamrock. They fought the way you wanted Condit to fight (Diaz's game) and got destroyed.

I agree with the sentiment earlier that he should have tried to get Condit to the ground earlier.

Condit deserves credit and I believe fought a perfect fight! Congrats to Condit, he should wait for GSP. Diaz's conduct does not deem him an immediate title shot in my mind, let him fight someone else and earn it!
I'm all for a rematch. If Condit fought a perfect fight, it wouldn't have been as close as it was or had many thinking Diaz won. A perfect fight would have Condit dominating Nick.
Have you ever tasted skin?
Stroma
Art Expert

Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:15 pm

inkedup wrote:I decided to watch the fight again today while I was sober and that was definitely a tough one to call. I see rounds 1 and 2 going to Diaz, 3 and 4 to Condit, and the 5th really could of gone either way. I expected the fight to be a lot more entertaining, Carlos stuck with the safe game plan and out pointed Nick with leg kicks, but at the same time I think Nick landed the harder shots and obviously pushed the pace. Carlos did a great job of staying off the cage but there was a few times he literally had his back to Nick while he was running away and looking over his shoulder. Good win for Condit but the nickname "natural born killer" seems a bit far fetched after watching that fight.
Lol, I thought the nickname was funny when they announced him the winner; given his performance.
MovieManJeff1012
Art Expert

Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:37 pm

I'm all for a rematch. If Condit fought a perfect fight, it wouldn't have been as close as it was or had many thinking Diaz won. A perfect fight would have Condit dominating Nick.
Ok, I can agree with that. I will rephrase. Condit fought the perfect type of fight for defeating Nick Diaz. The chances of knocking him out or subbing him are going to be so slim that you almost have to win on points with him. I am not sure where you dominate him, he is such a solid striker and sick on the ground. Looks like the rematch is going to happen, I just don't think that pitching a fit after the fight means you deserve one. He could fight Koscheck and then the winner of Condit/GSP. GSP isn't going to be ready until November, if I were Condit I would take a fight before then!
ImageImageImage
THE GODDESS PREVAILS
misterx
Art Expert

Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:47 am

Diaz came across as a crybaby.

No rematch is needed imo...there was no controversy, Condit fought the perfect fight to get the W. Diaz needs to learn to check a kick. If we had to rematch every close fight we would be fighting 3/4 of the card again in 3 months...who wants that? I'd be pissed if i was Condit...it smacks of more UFC "manipulation" disguised as "givin' the fans what they want..."

Werdum looked awesome...man has he changed in a year or so with his standup. If he continues improving he's going tone a handful for most. As for Roy, as big a heart as he has, its just not going to get him a title shot, as he suggested last week, by the end of 2012...even if Goldie and Rogan embarrassingly kept ignoring Werdums amazing improvements,all the while talking up Nelsons toughness.
I don't see nothing tough about getting the s#it knocked out of you for 15 minutes.
War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.
mr_rugby
Art Expert

Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:57 am

Here's the problem now. Does the UFC make the Kos vs. Diaz fight now? Winner of that faces the winner of Condit vs. GSP?

Lets just say Kos beats Diaz and GSP beats Condit, do you think the fans/UFC want to see GSP vs. Kos 3?

This whole thing is screwed up now.
MovieManJeff1012
Art Expert

Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:04 am

Rogan and Goldie talked quite a bit about Werdum's changes in standup. They said numerous times about how this is a completely Werdum then when he was in his first stint in the UFC. They talked a bunch about Rafael Corderio...go back and watch it again, I thought they gave Werdum quite a bit of praise!!

As for shaking out to GSP vs Koshcheck 3...I am not sure if it even shook out that way, Koscheck would get a title shot. Here is how I think it would go down...

Kos - Diaz = Diaz
GSP - Condit = GSP
you get Diaz GSP

Kos beats Diaz (Diaz quites MMA and goes pro boxing) and GSP beats Condit (Silva beats Sonnen) you will get GSP v Silva and GSP vacates the welterweight division.

Most likely what will happen, Condit v Diaz 2, it will look like Shogun v Machida 2, with Condit dominating the fight (although no KO) and you will still have GSP v Condit.

Honestly GSP v Condit would/will be an amazing fight. Condit is great on his feet and on the ground and always comes to fight. He is very good at not playing other peoples games and I think GSP won't be in a good headspace anyhow, he will be looking for his fight with Diaz and will look past Condit, a la GSP v Serra (looking towards Hughes)!! My 67 cents :)
ImageImageImage
THE GODDESS PREVAILS
misterx
Art Expert

Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:49 am

You're wrong mate...Werdum was knocking ten bells out of Roy, yet the commentary leant towards Countries toughness and not Werdums dominance...yes they acknowledged Werdums improvements, discussed his training partners etc but on balance the bias was obvious.
War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.
Gavatron
Art Connoisseur

Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:44 am

UFC is bias ???? #shockhorror

If the condit v diaz was a "fight till one goes down" deal, diaz wouldve won. Bring back 100 round bare knuckle matches ! lol
Stroma
Art Expert

Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:09 am

If Condit fought to finish in a rematch against Diaz, he would get dominate; possibly tko'd. GSP is going to wrestle Condit to death. In an ironic twist Condit will be frustrated that GSP refused to engage in a standup battle. GSP vs. Diaz is more entertaining because GSP would like to prove a point and beat Diaz standing, and on the ground. Nick would make him work harder than he's had to in a long time.
lcsproductions
Art Connoisseur

Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:40 am

post above is very right on IMO.

GSP would do the same thing to condit that he just did to Diaz with a bunch of takedowns thrown in at the end of rounds when it is safe for him to shoot.

GSP moves better then condit (ie - no turning his back and running) he will have no trouble picking him apart.

I am still frustarted with Diaz and his inability to shrink the cage and cut off the angles Condit used to turn away from all of his attacks. It was a great startegy to do so but one that should have been easily countered bi Diaz's corner. How they did not prepare for such a strategy is beyond me since it is the MO of most of Greg Jacksons camp.

I knew Diaz lost that fight as soon as it ended and went to the judges. Its the first fight in a log time that I would have liked to see more then five rounds of. I could have handled boxing numbers for that one 10 to 12 rounds it was that exciting.
$250 for the pair shipped and insured. Both are mint. Shipping should be around 7 or 8 bucks.

FYI: this was the collection that didn't make my walls, still beats your shitty little collections...and if it doesn't, I still couldn't care less.
willg
Art Expert

Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:53 am

lcsproductions wrote: I could have handled boxing numbers for that one 10 to 12 rounds it was that exciting.
Call me crazy but I think in 5 years MMA will look a lot more like boxing than any of us want.
mr_rugby
Art Expert

Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:41 pm

UFC 143 purses:

Carlos Condit: $110,000 (includes $55,000 win bonus)
def. Nick Diaz: $200,000

Fabricio Werdum: $100,000 (no win bonus)
def. Roy Nelson: $20,000

Josh Koscheck: $146,000 (includes $73,000 win bonus)
def. Mike Pierce: $20,000

Renan Barao: $22,000 (includes $11,000 win bonus)
def. Scott Jorgensen: $20,500

Ed Herman: $62,000 (includes $31,000 win bonus)
def. Clifford Starks: $8,000

Dustin Poirier: $24,000 (includes $12,000 win bonus)
def. Max Holloway: $6,000

Edwin Figueroa: $16,000 (includes $8,000 win bonus)
def. Alex Caceres: $8,000

Matt Brown: $30,000 (includes $15,000 win bonus)
def. Chris Cope: $8,000

Matt Riddle: $30,000 (includes $15,000 win bonus)
def. Henry Martinez: $6,000

Rafael Natal: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus)
def. Michael Kuiper: $6,000

Stephen Thompson: $12,000 (includes $6,000 win bonus)
def. Dan Stittgen: $6,000

Diaz earned a flat salary, so a victory wouldn't have netted him a win bonus. The same went with Fabricio Werdum ($100,000). These figures are only the disclosed pay, and are not an accurate refection of each fighter's compensation. Fighters typically bear significant costs including training expenses, a percentage to management, a percentage to the trainer, insurance, licenses, and taxes.

On the income side, sponsorship money can be a substantial portion, or even exceed the purse from the fight. Further, the UFC often gives out undisclosed "locker room" bonuses for exceptional performance. Elite level fighters can negotiate a portion of the PPV revenue, which can substantially exceed the disclosed payout. Further, many fighters earn income from teaching, from appearances, and in many cases from regular employment in the non fighting space.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:01 pm

Bruce Leeroy got robbed. Figueroa is a bigger whiner than Diaz.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.