NBA 2019-2020

An arena for athletics. Post lifetime is 1 year.
User avatar
jjttdw
Art Expert
Posts: 7025
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:45 pm

Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:42 pm

mtarail wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:58 pm
NBA season suspended indefinitely due to Covid 19. And, supposedly Rudy Gobert has tested positive.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/nba-su ... 203531530/
Rudy Gobert touched reporters’ recorders before positive coronavirus test

Rudy Gobert, who reportedly tested positive for coronavirus Wednesday, touched reporters’ recorders jokingly during media availability two days ago.

Nice Rudy
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
User avatar
mattkardish
Art Expert
Posts: 3871
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:28 pm
Location: Paddy's Pub

Sun May 03, 2020 11:22 pm

Really enjoying the last dance!!
User avatar
Irishman12
Art Expert
Posts: 3251
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:42 pm
Location: The Villa Quatro

Mon May 04, 2020 7:13 am

Absolutely! Put together very well. Glad they made it a 10-part series and didn’t try to cram it all into fewer episodes.
User avatar
Irishman12
Art Expert
Posts: 3251
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:42 pm
Location: The Villa Quatro

Wed May 06, 2020 6:53 pm

Curious what others think. So with THE LAST DANCE on ESPN the last few weeks, I'm wondering how many people believe, had Jordan not retired, they could have gotten through Orlando and Houston in 1994 & 1995, and won 8 straight titles. Thoughts?
User avatar
dodgers77
Art Expert
Posts: 2132
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:32 am

Wed May 06, 2020 10:08 pm

Yes it would’ve been tough going through Shag/Penny and Clyde/Hakeem, but MJ is still the GOAT and could’ve willed his way to victory all by himself if he had too. Enjoying every minute of the Last Dance, it’s the best sports docu series imo, and didn’t know Kobe and MJ were really close friends. Love the locker room banter with the players/coaches/media !
User avatar
Irishman12
Art Expert
Posts: 3251
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:42 pm
Location: The Villa Quatro

Thu May 07, 2020 7:41 am

Agreed, love the behind the scenes access seeing how these guys really talked and acted.

I think the Bulls would have had a better chance in 1995 to beat Houston (but getting past Orlando would have been difficult). As for 1994, it would have just been a nightmare of a matchup. Who guards Hakeem? Bill Cartwright or Will Purdue!?
User avatar
mtarail
Art Expert
Posts: 3320
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:01 am
Location: AZ

Thu May 07, 2020 8:47 am

Irishman12 wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 7:41 am
Agreed, love the behind the scenes access seeing how these guys really talked and acted.

I think the Bulls would have had a better chance in 1995 to beat Houston (but getting past Orlando would have been difficult). As for 1994, it would have just been a nightmare of a matchup. Who guards Hakeem? Bill Cartwright or Will Purdue!?
The Last Dance is great. Getting reminded of MJ's skills on the court and his attitude, imho he's the GOAT. Houston were back to back champions when MJ was out. They had a deep, rock-solid roster, and basically invented the "3 and D" game.

Interesting question about who would have won titles, had MJ not left basketball for those years. There's no doubt that the Bulls, on paper, were a better team than Houston. but when you add in the stress of being champions and always having a bullseye on your back, I think the Bulls would have lost at least one of those series to Houston.

I've been watching hoops since the early 80's, and I think the 96-97 Bulls are the best basketball team I've ever seen. (But I'm curious if one or more of those loaded Lakers or Celtics team from the 80's might have been able to beat them).
User avatar
Irishman12
Art Expert
Posts: 3251
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:42 pm
Location: The Villa Quatro

Thu May 07, 2020 7:32 pm

mtarail wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 8:47 am


Interesting question about who would have won titles, had MJ not left basketball for those years. There's no doubt that the Bulls, on paper, were a better team than Houston. but when you add in the stress of being champions and always having a bullseye on your back, I think the Bulls would have lost at least one of those series to Houston.
Don't forget about all the minutes as well. At some point, playing and winning that many championships will eventually catch up with you due to the shorter offseason and additional games/minutes played.

mtarail wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 8:47 am
I've been watching hoops since the early 80's, and I think the 96-97 Bulls are the best basketball team I've ever seen. (But I'm curious if one or more of those loaded Lakers or Celtics team from the 80's might have been able to beat them).
I think the 1995-1996 Bulls were the best ever. The answer your question, I think it depends on what era they play in. The rough and tough 1980's were you could murder a guy and get away with it? Or the touchy/feely NBA of today.
User avatar
Irishman12
Art Expert
Posts: 3251
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:42 pm
Location: The Villa Quatro

Mon May 18, 2020 6:56 pm

For anybody wanting something great to watch and hasn't seen THE LAST DANCE yet, do yourself the favor and watch it. Going to miss it airing on Sunday nights. Wonderfully well done and showed sides of Jordan I've never seen before. Can't wait to watch it again honestly.
Woo5lscott
Art Expert
Posts: 1274
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:16 am

Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:08 am

Irishman12 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 6:56 pm
For anybody wanting something great to watch and hasn't seen THE LAST DANCE yet, do yourself the favor and watch it. Going to miss it airing on Sunday nights. Wonderfully well done and showed sides of Jordan I've never seen before. Can't wait to watch it again honestly.
I’m saving all the episodes on the DVR until the blu ray comes out
User avatar
jjttdw
Art Expert
Posts: 7025
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:45 pm

Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:37 pm

Definitely a good watch. A big takeaway for me was what made Jordan so successful...his unrelenting commitment to his craft and his unquenchable desire to win. He even wanted to win in practice. I think Lebron's commitment and physical gifts are equal to that of Jordan. What tips things to Jordan for me was his pathological desire to win. Beyond what it did for him, it led him to push his teammates to perform beyond where they might have otherwise. Was he a dick in how he did that? Absolutely.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
User avatar
Irishman12
Art Expert
Posts: 3251
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:42 pm
Location: The Villa Quatro

Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:32 pm

Woo5lscott wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:08 am
Irishman12 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 6:56 pm
For anybody wanting something great to watch and hasn't seen THE LAST DANCE yet, do yourself the favor and watch it. Going to miss it airing on Sunday nights. Wonderfully well done and showed sides of Jordan I've never seen before. Can't wait to watch it again honestly.
I’m saving all the episodes on the DVR until the blu ray comes out
Same. Looking forward to the blu-ray coming out. Hopefully it'll have some decent special features with it (extended interviews, etc.)
User avatar
Irishman12
Art Expert
Posts: 3251
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:42 pm
Location: The Villa Quatro

Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:34 pm

jjttdw wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:37 pm
Definitely a good watch. A big takeaway for me was what made Jordan so successful...his unrelenting commitment to his craft and his unquenchable desire to win. He even wanted to win in practice. I think Lebron's commitment and physical gifts are equal to that of Jordan. What tips things to Jordan for me was his pathological desire to win. Beyond what it did for him, it led him to push his teammates to perform beyond where they might have otherwise. Was he a dick in how he did that? Absolutely.
I agree. I always knew Jordan wanted to win and how competitive he was in everything, but this really shined a light to not only the depths he'd go to ensure victory, but also how petty he could be at times. He wanted not only to beat you but to destroy you. Jordan had that killer instinct. LeBron's, if he developed it over time (definitely didn't have it until he joined Miami), isn't as deadly as MJ's IMO.
User avatar
dodgers77
Art Expert
Posts: 2132
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:32 am

Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:44 am

What a great close out game performance finish for King James to take the Lakers to the Finals ! It’s been a while, but glad to be back !!
User avatar
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much
Posts: 52844
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:00 am
Location: Expresso Beans

Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:58 pm

Still feels a bit weird to be cheering on bron bron.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
Post Reply