NBA 2018-19

An arena for athletics. Post lifetime is 1 year.
User avatar
63schoeffling
Art Expert
Posts: 8162
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:52 am

Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:59 pm

PrintNoob87 wrote:
63schoeffling wrote:I’ll still make that trade 10/10 times even if we don’t resign him.
Why? Do you think they actually have a chance to beat the Warriors even if they somehow come out of the east??
We just gave up 2 average/good players for a superstar.... give me that all day long. Worst case, we don't resign him and now don't have him, Cov, Saric and Bayless' contract on the books anymore so we go out and sign another superstar. And there's no way we get Butler if he doesn't play three quarters of a season in this city where the fans go crazy over players who work hard and give 100%. That along with more money than anyone else can offer makes me pretty confident we will resign him, but if we don't it doesn't really matter. You can't sit tight and settle for a 4-5 seed and not do anything this year.
ImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
PrintNoob87
Art Expert
Posts: 8860
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:55 pm
Location: Milwaukee

Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:05 pm

I guess I just don't get the rationale that you "can't just sit tight and not do anything this year". Seems like you could very easily do that, especially considering everyone is playing for second place this season. Why not wait out the last year of Golden State, while keeping all of your assets, and then just sign another star next summer without having to give anything up? The list of potential FA stars next summer is ridiculous, so Philly's young core should be able to lure one in I would think - without needing to sacrifice depth/shooting/perimeter defense. Was philly really in some hurry to get Saric and Covington's contracts off the books? Saric is an absolute steal at $8.2 mil over the next two years. Covington is making roughly $12 mil a year over the next three, which is pretty good for a good two-way three and D player. Bayless is an unrestricted FA after this year anyways, so no savings there. They have the money to sign another star even with those other guys on the books.

Also, I don't think players give a damn how hard fans cheer for them. They care about one thing ($), and after that winning championships, but they definitely don't care about the passion of philly fans.
User avatar
63schoeffling
Art Expert
Posts: 8162
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:52 am

Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:52 pm

PrintNoob87 wrote:I guess I just don't get the rationale that you "can't just sit tight and not do anything this year". Seems like you could very easily do that, especially considering everyone is playing for second place this season. Why not wait out the last year of Golden State, while keeping all of your assets, and then just sign another star next summer without having to give anything up? The list of potential FA stars next summer is ridiculous, so Philly's young core should be able to lure one in I would think - without needing to sacrifice depth/shooting/perimeter defense. Was philly really in some hurry to get Saric and Covington's contracts off the books? Saric is an absolute steal at $8.2 mil over the next two years. Covington is making roughly $12 mil a year over the next three, which is pretty good for a good two-way three and D player. Bayless is an unrestricted FA after this year anyways, so no savings there. They have the money to sign another star even with those other guys on the books.

Also, I don't think players give a damn how hard fans cheer for them. They care about one thing ($), and after that winning championships, but they definitely don't care about the passion of philly fans.
Which gets to my point of getting him in here now and offering him more money than anyone else can. And if he hated the city he got traded to, I doubt he would stay for the max because the difference could be easily made up in endorsements or a bigger market. Saric hasn't been playing well, Covington is fine and thank God we got rid of that bum Bayless even from just sucking up minutes. Now we now have a legit stud and that's all that matters. Taking a step forward from last year and positioning for the future is all that matters and this was a no brainer because as much as I love those guys, we sure as hell were never going to win a title with those two as starters.

The real question is why the hell didn't Minn just take the 4 first rounders from Houston, ha.
ImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Irishman12
Art Expert
Posts: 1859
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:42 pm
Location: The Villa Quatro

Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:33 pm

63schoeffling wrote:The real question is why the hell didn't Minn just take the 4 first rounders from Houston, ha.
Exactly. Probably because they thought they had it made with Carmelo Anthony, who I now hear they're trying to get rid of after only a dozen games into this season. Stephen A. Smith reported that LeBron reached out to Carmelo about coming to L.A. during the summer but he had to commit to working hard and possibly coming off the bench. Melo never even returned the phone call.

As for Philly, they need to dump Markelle Fultz. That guy's been nothing but a complete bust. Did anyone else see him pump fake a free throw last night!?
User avatar
63schoeffling
Art Expert
Posts: 8162
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:52 am

Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:42 pm

Irishman12 wrote:
63schoeffling wrote:The real question is why the hell didn't Minn just take the 4 first rounders from Houston, ha.
Exactly. Probably because they thought they had it made with Carmelo Anthony, who I now hear they're trying to get rid of after only a dozen games into this season. Stephen A. Smith reported that LeBron reached out to Carmelo about coming to L.A. during the summer but he had to commit to working hard and possibly coming off the bench. Melo never even returned the phone call.

As for Philly, they need to dump Markelle Fultz. That guy's been nothing but a complete bust. Did anyone else see him pump fake a free throw last night!?
Yo that was legit the worst free throw I have ever seen. And I'm not ready to give up on him... watching all of the games, he definitely has made improvements and there are flashes where you see what made him the #1 pick but it's 90% mental for him. I think Butler will be fine with Joel and maybe even get on Ben to actually shoo more (which is good) but I'm curious to see his patience with someone like Fultz. That will be the number one thing I will be watching through the season.
ImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
jkw3000
EB Trainee
Posts: 21645
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:22 pm
Location: NYC

Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:15 pm

I remember being high on Fultz and was surprised the C's would trade away from a consensus number 1 pick...but damn I was wrong. Not that I don't think Fultz is incapable of salvaging his career or being good, just not #1 overall good. It seems to very much be a mental thing for him and feels like he needs to be in a very specific environment with a very specifically catered development process for him. Being on a team that expects to compete and win right now may not be the best option for him at the moment.
Image
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
User avatar
PrintNoob87
Art Expert
Posts: 8860
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:55 pm
Location: Milwaukee

Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:17 pm

Dat double pump FT attempt.....just feel kinda bad for the guy right now.
User avatar
63schoeffling
Art Expert
Posts: 8162
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:52 am

Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:29 am

Yeah, I think he will end up having a fine career, but probably not a #1 type career. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I guess we shall see.

At least it's obvious at this point that Boston wanted Tatum and they were most likely going to pick him at #1 and Ball obviously still goes at #2 so we end up with Fultz either way... it just sucks to give up assets to Boston while doing it. So far, round 1 goes to Boston for that move but he is still young, so there's plenty of time to figure it out but that may or may not happen as a Sixer.
ImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak
Posts: 17982
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:35 pm

Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:14 pm

63schoeffling wrote:Yeah, I think he will end up having a fine career, but probably not a #1 type career. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I guess we shall see.

At least it's obvious at this point that Boston wanted Tatum and they were most likely going to pick him at #1 and Ball obviously still goes at #2 so we end up with Fultz either way... it just sucks to give up assets to Boston while doing it. So far, round 1 goes to Boston for that move but he is still young, so there's plenty of time to figure it out but that may or may not happen as a Sixer.
FULTZ IS AN ENERGY GUY.
Image
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
User avatar
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak
Posts: 17982
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:35 pm

Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:06 pm

Image
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
User avatar
PrintNoob87
Art Expert
Posts: 8860
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:55 pm
Location: Milwaukee

Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:51 pm

PrintNoob87 wrote:...the spacing is going to be comical at times...
....so it appears in an effort to remedy this they're risking frustrating their most dominant player and moving him off the block and out to the three point line.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2548 ... tler-trade

I'm surprised they haven't been a better defensive team since the trade, but I imagine that will come with time. Embiid/Butler/Simmons are all plus defenders and Butler/Simmons can guard just about anyone. I figure they should be a top five defensive team by year end.
turnJBup
Art Expert
Posts: 8813
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:00 am
Location: California

Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:54 pm

Hell yeah Clippers!
User avatar
Irishman12
Art Expert
Posts: 1859
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:42 pm
Location: The Villa Quatro

Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:57 pm

The Timberwolves fire President and head coach Tom Thibodeau. I can't say I'm too surprised. I think the writing was on the wall when Thibodeau didn't want to trade Jimmy Butler but owner Glen Taylor proceeded anyway. Thibodeau leaves Minnesota with a 97-107 record. Rumors are former Bulls coach Fred Hoiberg may take over for Thibodeau.
User avatar
Irishman12
Art Expert
Posts: 1859
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:42 pm
Location: The Villa Quatro

Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:02 pm

I gotta say, I'm impressed with the season the Pacers have had up until this point. 2 years removed from trading Paul George, they're the third best team in the East and only 2 1/2 games behind Milwaukee and Toronto for the top spot. I did not expect this quick of a turnaround from them. Sucks about Oladipo though. That's gonna kill them.
User avatar
63schoeffling
Art Expert
Posts: 8162
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:52 am

Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:29 pm

Irishman12 wrote:I gotta say, I'm impressed with the season the Pacers have had up until this point. 2 years removed from trading Paul George, they're the third best team in the East and only 2 1/2 games behind Milwaukee and Toronto for the top spot. I did not expect this quick of a turnaround from them. Sucks about Oladipo though. That's gonna kill them.
Yeah that sucks about Oladipo, I like him. That being said.... it's good for the Sixers.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Post Reply