NBA 2018-19

An arena for athletics. Post lifetime is 1 year.
PrintNoob87
Art Expert

Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:00 pm

If they don't re-sign him, what an awful trade. A team already light on depth and shooting gets even lighter on it. And for a guy that blew up the last teams he was on. That team needs to acquire another shooter or four. Chandler being back should help a little, but damn the spacing is going to be comical at times with embiid/simmons/fultz line-ups on the floor.
63schoeffling wrote:Initially I was all in on Butler, then all out, now oddly enough I was warming up to the idea because it was clear Boston/Toronto are much better.
Also, you can definitely go ahead and add the Bucks to that list.
jkw3000
EB Trainee

Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:08 pm

Yeah, think it'll come down to Giannis vs Kawhi for the East.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:04 pm

Bucks are playing great this year, but I think the Sixers jump ahead with Butler.

One of the best trades I can remember in recent Philly sports... two good players for a superstar and didn't even have to give up a 1st rounder. Outside of a few old-school Process hanger on-er's, everyone is through the roof with excitement about this.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Irishman12
Art Expert

Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:05 pm

I saw reports yesterday on ESPN that the Rockets are thinking of cutting Carmelo. Wow, that lasted all of 12 games. I knew it wouldn't work out but I think 12 games in is a bit premature. The team is 5-7 but how much of that can you fault Carmelo for? Just glad Butler didn't wind up in Houston and it'll be fun seeing him with the young core Philadelphia's been able to piece together.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:20 pm

Irishman12 wrote:I saw reports yesterday on ESPN that the Rockets are thinking of cutting Carmelo. Wow, that lasted all of 12 games. I knew it wouldn't work out but I think 12 games in is a bit premature. The team is 5-7 but how much of that can you fault Carmelo for? Just glad Butler didn't wind up in Houston and it'll be fun seeing him with the young core Philadelphia's been able to piece together.
There's talk of bringing in Melo to Philly and if they did that, you can throw all the excitement of the Butler trade out the window. He's super washed.
jkw3000
EB Trainee

Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:26 pm

I don't think he's completely washed, but his inability to move into a role player type of mindset has doomed him from being even remotely useful, if that makes sense.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:29 pm

jkw3000 wrote:I don't think he's completely washed, but his inability to move into a role player type of mindset has doomed him from being even remotely useful, if that makes sense.
Well yeah, there's that huge aspect of it as well, ha. Not worth it.
PrintNoob87
Art Expert

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:00 pm

jkw3000 wrote:Yeah, think it'll come down to Giannis vs Kawhi for the East.
East is where the juice is all of a sudden - get the feeling it’s gonna be a really fun playoffs for the first time in a long time on that side. Celtics, beyond the ridiculous talent and depth, are a matchup problem for the bucks. The way the bucks defend the pick and roll by sagging low into the paint against horford, especially with Lopez on the floor, leaves them susceptible to a lot of open threes - both from horford or others if they rotate and the Celtics swing it around.
PrintNoob87
Art Expert

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:10 pm

63schoeffling wrote:Bucks are playing great this year, but I think the Sixers jump ahead with Butler.
Agree to disagree, but time will tell.
63schoeffling wrote:One of the best trades I can remember in recent Philly sports... two good players for a superstar and didn't even have to give up a 1st rounder. Outside of a few old-school Process hanger on-er's, everyone is through the roof with excitement about this.
All depends on if they re-sign him (assuming the fit is good and/or he doesn’t murder fultz or Simmons first for being afraid to shoot) If not, it’s a horrific trade.
jkw3000
EB Trainee

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:40 pm

PrintNoob87 wrote:
jkw3000 wrote:Yeah, think it'll come down to Giannis vs Kawhi for the East.
East is where the juice is all of a sudden - get the feeling it’s gonna be a really fun playoffs for the first time in a long time on that side. Celtics, beyond the ridiculous talent and depth, are a matchup problem for the bucks. The way the bucks defend the pick and roll by sagging low into the paint against horford, especially with Lopez on the floor, leaves them susceptible to a lot of open threes - both from horford or others if they rotate and the Celtics swing it around.
I mean I'm all about the C's but at the heart of it, if Giannis keeps it up into the playoffs, him and Kawhi are superstar-level enough to plow their way through to the ECF at least. LeBron carried the carcass of that Cavs team into the Finals, I can imagine Kawhi and Giannis doing the same for their sides.
PrintNoob87
Art Expert

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:54 pm

That's the other thing with the Celtics, too. They certainly don't have one guy that can handle Giannis, but I like (hate) that Stevens will keep throwing different guys/looks at him throughout a game/series to keep Giannis from getting too comfortable against anyone. He'll get some Horford, then some Marcus Smart floppage, then they'll force him to baptize Baynes a few times (I think just for fans pure enjoyment), then maybe some Brown or Ojeleye.

He's taken massive leaps every year, but I still think there's one left to be taken before getting to unstoppable-force-that's-totally-comfortable-in-any-playoff-moment. Maybe this year, but I think Kawhi's got him there with the whole been-there, done-that thing from those days that seem so long ago with the Spurs.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:05 pm

I’ll still make that trade 10/10 times even if we don’t resign him.
jkw3000
EB Trainee

Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:32 pm

63schoeffling wrote:I’ll still make that trade 10/10 times even if we don’t resign him.
I mean, it's worth the gamble, certainly. Especially in a league that's trying to play catch-up to the Warriors.
PrintNoob87 wrote:That's the other thing with the Celtics, too. They certainly don't have one guy that can handle Giannis, but I like (hate) that Stevens will keep throwing different guys/looks at him throughout a game/series to keep Giannis from getting too comfortable against anyone. He'll get some Horford, then some Marcus Smart floppage, then they'll force him to baptize Baynes a few times (I think just for fans pure enjoyment), then maybe some Brown or Ojeleye.
I wanna be higher on the C's, but offensively they've been horribly inconsistent so far this year. The objective part of me knows a lot of that is reincorporating Hayward and Kyrie shaking off the rust, and they're gonna be much easier to judge post-All Star break than in the early part, but still...they've not been impressive enough that I don't think they'd really top Giannis or Kawhi if they keep their pace up. That's the trick though, isn't it - hoping Giannis doesn't taper a little like last year, or Kawhi gets re-injured. Like with the Rockets - even if they start clicking on all cylinders, you're just waiting for the inevitable Chris Paul injury to derail them.
PrintNoob87
Art Expert

Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:59 am

63schoeffling wrote:I’ll still make that trade 10/10 times even if we don’t resign him.
Why? Do you think they actually have a chance to beat the Warriors even if they somehow come out of the east??
PrintNoob87
Art Expert

Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:14 pm

jkw3000 wrote:
PrintNoob87 wrote:That's the other thing with the Celtics, too. They certainly don't have one guy that can handle Giannis, but I like (hate) that Stevens will keep throwing different guys/looks at him throughout a game/series to keep Giannis from getting too comfortable against anyone. He'll get some Horford, then some Marcus Smart floppage, then they'll force him to baptize Baynes a few times (I think just for fans pure enjoyment), then maybe some Brown or Ojeleye.
I wanna be higher on the C's, but offensively they've been horribly inconsistent so far this year. The objective part of me knows a lot of that is reincorporating Hayward and Kyrie shaking off the rust, and they're gonna be much easier to judge post-All Star break than in the early part, but still...they've not been impressive enough that I don't think they'd really top Giannis or Kawhi if they keep their pace up. That's the trick though, isn't it - hoping Giannis doesn't taper a little like last year, or Kawhi gets re-injured. Like with the Rockets - even if they start clicking on all cylinders, you're just waiting for the inevitable Chris Paul injury to derail them.
Yeah, I think a ton hinges on Hayward and if he can get back to close to where he was pre-injury this season. As you mentioned, they are gonna need his offense to come around at some point.

I LOVE Tatum, but I think people were maybe quick to anoint him a superstar already. He'll likely continue to have some growing pains as he figures out his game and how it fits next to a healthy Irving and Hayward. Still think he's going to be one of the best in the league within the next few years.

I'll just be hopeful the Bucks avoid the Celtics for as long as possible come playoffs. Obviously, the Raptors can throw the same variety of long defenders at Giannis as Boston, or just opt for assigning Kawhi to him (assuming Kawhi's handlers sign off on it - jk).

I would love a sixers draw, as they don't have anyone with a prayer of slowing Giannis outside of Simmons in spurts. He's already owned Butler when previously matched up against him on the Bulls/Wolves.