MLB 2018

An arena for athletics. Post lifetime is 1 year.
RadRacing
Art Expert

Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:17 pm

Harper turned down 300mil/10 years with the Nats? hmmm Can't see it getting any better than that
https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/11/07/bryce ... ncy-rumors
Irishman12
Art Expert

Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:37 pm

desch wrote:Ludicrous that JD Martinez was left off the finalist vote for AL MVP. I guess with Mike Trout we’re taking into account past accomplishments over current year performance?
True. I'm not a JD Martinez or Red Sox fan at all but was surprised he was left off the list. Trout had a good year but I never put him in the conversation compared to Mookie and JD this year.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:54 pm

Farhan Zaidi is leaving the Dodgers to become the President of Baseball Operations for division rival San Francisco. I wonder if he'll be able to turn them around? It's a 5-year deal so at least they gave him some time.

Also, the Cubs haven't extended Joe Maddon beyond next season yet. As of now Theo has said they won't revisit it until late next season or next offseason.
downforcemedia
Art Expert

Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:58 pm

desch wrote: . . . We can all agree to disagree . . .
That's the great thing about baseball. We can always agree to disagree but we still all love the game.

You make some good points and JD did have a MONSTER season. I was surprised he didn't make the final list.

One of the hardest things is trying to determine what criteria the writers use to determine MVP. Alex Rodriquez won an MVP while the Texas Rangers were in dead last place. He was clearly the best player in the AL but how much did he really help his team? There doesn't seem to be any consistent definition as to what makes an "MVP" - or a Hall of Famer for that matter.

These baseball debates have been going on forever. It's part of what makes the game great. So we both win! :D
Lies are a funny thing. They slip through your fingertips because they never happened to you. Time wounds all the heals as we fade out of view
fredo
Art God

Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:48 pm

I'm ok with people using their own criteria to some extent, so long as it isn't exclusionary. A-roid won another in NY when Ortiz had arguably his most valuable season. DH though. And a couple of pitchers (cough- Pedro) have been left off ballots completely b/c of their position. SAD!
just a foil for me today, thanks
desch
Art Expert

Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:59 pm

downforcemedia wrote:
desch wrote: . . . We can all agree to disagree . . .
That's the great thing about baseball. We can always agree to disagree but we still all love the game.

You make some good points and JD did have a MONSTER season. I was surprised he didn't make the final list.

One of the hardest things is trying to determine what criteria the writers use to determine MVP. Alex Rodriquez won an MVP while the Texas Rangers were in dead last place. He was clearly the best player in the AL but how much did he really help his team? There doesn't seem to be any consistent definition as to what makes an "MVP" - or a Hall of Famer for that matter.

These baseball debates have been going on forever. It's part of what makes the game great. So we both win! :D
Thanks for that and well said yourself!

I think in A-Rods case maybe there wasn't anybody statistically even close to his numbers, so it's more an MVP for baseball itself..? That sounds kinda lame, but I think a lot of MVPs are chosen primarily on their statistical performance and not whether they helped a team win. I'm ok with that because there are so many players in the past, on crappy teams, that have completely dominated the stats for any given season. But in JDs case, he had a monster statistical season as well as having a huge impact on how well his team did.
“If we had had confidence that the president clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said so.”
“The Constitution requires a process other than the criminal justice system to formally accuse a sitting president of wrongdoing.” R. Mueller
fredo
Art God

Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:14 pm

Agree- sometimes the stats are too good to ignore.

Speaking of, I am arbitrarily militant when it comes to the Cy Young being the award for the statistically best pitcher. Assuming everybody's pitched in roughly the same number of games, the stats vs hitters are what tell the story. WHIP, BAA, ERA(to a lesser extent) . You can get down to IP and situational stuff as needed if the race is close.
just a foil for me today, thanks
RadRacing
Art Expert

Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:34 am

Some interesting trade rumors up on Sports Illustrated this morning..Mallex Smith to Seattle, Goldschmidt to St. Louis?
https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/11/08/mlb-r ... ree-agency?
jkw3000
EB Trainee

Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:38 am

I think I've heard about more teams that don't want Harper than I do teams that want him. Ah the hot stove...
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
cotis
Art Expert

Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:05 am

don't forget that the Dodgers (and Cardinals) both had deals in place for Stanton... and that the Yankees wanted no part of Tex a decade ago. :roll:
turnJBup
Art Expert

Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:16 pm

Maybe Harper will figure out how to hit the curve from left handers during the off-season?
If not, I don’t want him on my team. :P
downforcemedia
Art Expert

Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:32 am

Angels looking hard at DJ LeMahieu. I wonder about his ability to hit away from the thin air of Coors Field. It would also displace David Fletcher who was a real diamond in the rough last year.

Oh, and Trout won the Silver Slugger for Center Field. ;)
Lies are a funny thing. They slip through your fingertips because they never happened to you. Time wounds all the heals as we fade out of view
cotis
Art Expert

Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:21 pm

a player winning Silver Slugger at 2 positions is kind of a crock of fudge...
jamel-d
Art Expert

Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:44 pm

cotis wrote:a player winning Silver Slugger at 2 positions is kind of a crock of fudge...
This
THE HORKEY CLUB 2013,14,15,16,17,18 Image
downforcemedia
Art Expert

Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:50 pm

cotis wrote:a player winning Silver Slugger at 2 positions is kind of a crock of fudge...
Maybe a statement to the BWAA for leaving him off the MVP ballot.