The Ebay Advice Column

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
User avatar
readicculus86
Art Expert
Posts: 1086
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:09 pm

Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:37 pm

bigmuls wrote:Nope, just trying to send it using my Paypal balance.
Yeah, I've always been charged 1% to send $ as a gift. Not sure if this was ever not the case...
User avatar
bigmuls
Art Expert
Posts: 1959
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:01 pm
Location: DC USA

Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:41 pm

readicculus86 wrote:
bigmuls wrote:Nope, just trying to send it using my Paypal balance.
Yeah, I've always been charged 1% to send $ as a gift. Not sure if this was ever not the case...
I've never been charged before to send money as a gift. I think that's pretty consistent across the board, hence why so many people on here selling prints ask for payment sent as a gift to avoid the fee. Maybe Paypal finally got rid of the free option...
User avatar
KennyRE317
Art Expert
Posts: 1410
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:00 am

Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:26 pm

bigmuls wrote:
readicculus86 wrote:
bigmuls wrote:Nope, just trying to send it using my Paypal balance.
Yeah, I've always been charged 1% to send $ as a gift. Not sure if this was ever not the case...
I've never been charged before to send money as a gift. I think that's pretty consistent across the board, hence why so many people on here selling prints ask for payment sent as a gift to avoid the fee. Maybe Paypal finally got rid of the free option...
if you send as gift you have to send from your bank account and not through a credit card to forgo the fees as a buyer. I would rather pay the 3% and do the transaction as a regular transaction paid for with my credit card than do gift unless it's from a very reputable seller that i have personally dealt with before
Image
User avatar
bigmuls
Art Expert
Posts: 1959
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:01 pm
Location: DC USA

Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:44 pm

KennyRE317 wrote:
bigmuls wrote:
readicculus86 wrote:
bigmuls wrote:Nope, just trying to send it using my Paypal balance.
Yeah, I've always been charged 1% to send $ as a gift. Not sure if this was ever not the case...
I've never been charged before to send money as a gift. I think that's pretty consistent across the board, hence why so many people on here selling prints ask for payment sent as a gift to avoid the fee. Maybe Paypal finally got rid of the free option...
if you send as gift you have to send from your bank account and not through a credit card to forgo the fees as a buyer. I would rather pay the 3% and do the transaction as a regular transaction paid for with my credit card than do gift unless it's from a very reputable seller that i have personally dealt with before
I have been sending and receiving payments to and from friends using the gift option the same way I attempted to today and have never had to pay a fee until now. I've always used my Paypal balance for these transfers and have never used a credit card or bank account balance to send money as a gift on Paypal.
User avatar
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much
Posts: 52563
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:00 am
Location: Expresso Beans

Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:36 pm

Maybe you're doing it a lil too much and paypal caught on.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
User avatar
bigmuls
Art Expert
Posts: 1959
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:01 pm
Location: DC USA

Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:40 pm

Codeblue wrote:Maybe you're doing it a lil too much and paypal caught on.
yeah, that's probably the case :cry:
User avatar
xN3rDx
Art Expert
Posts: 1496
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:53 am
Location: Guam, USA

Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:59 pm

After a decent back and forth with this Ebay'er about my MBW Reborn he offered a price and I accepted. While waiting on payment I recieved this message:

"Hello I am terribly sorry my son bid on this and messaged you . We do not have the money to pay for that . If you can cancel it that would be perfect sorry for the inconvenience again . A punishment will be issued to him


- rargueta-us"

Hopefully, my negative feedback will get their son extra lashings and less dinner (but really we all know it's a bullshit excuse anyway)
User avatar
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much
Posts: 52563
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:00 am
Location: Expresso Beans

Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:06 am

Too bad you can't leave negative feedback.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
User avatar
xN3rDx
Art Expert
Posts: 1496
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:53 am
Location: Guam, USA

Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:10 am

Codeblue wrote:Too bad you can't leave negative feedback.
Damn, I thought I could mark as a payment not recieved or something along those lines with a negative vibe to it.
User avatar
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much
Posts: 52563
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:00 am
Location: Expresso Beans

Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:13 am

You could file an unpaid item claim, but they prolly won't pay, and that still isn't negative feedback. It does count as an unpaid item strike though, so that's something.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
User avatar
veltri
Art Expert
Posts: 4566
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:04 pm

Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:16 am

You can leave positive feedback but with a negative message. All caps would bring more attention to it as well.
strongstuff wrote: i want to watch those fools squirm.
Image
User avatar
xN3rDx
Art Expert
Posts: 1496
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:53 am
Location: Guam, USA

Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:18 am

Codeblue wrote:You could file an unpaid item claim, but they prolly won't pay, and that still isn't negative feedback. It does count as an unpaid item strike though, so that's something.
That sucks.

I guess I will go with plan B. I'll send a printless tube (kraft paper only) and mark as shipped on Ebay with full tracking and purposely not tape the caps shut.
User avatar
mattlew69
Art Expert
Posts: 8372
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:03 pm
Location: Midwest

Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:56 am

Leave a feedback to warn other sellers.

"Buyer never paid for MBW print, and I would also be leery of his sons art tastes" :P
Image
User avatar
RiotAct
EB Trainee
Posts: 17548
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:47 pm
Location: Buffalo, NY

Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:01 am

xN3rDx wrote:After a decent back and forth with this Ebay'er about my MBW Reborn he offered a price and I accepted. While waiting on payment I recieved this message:

"Hello I am terribly sorry my son bid on this and messaged you . We do not have the money to pay for that . If you can cancel it that would be perfect sorry for the inconvenience again . A punishment will be issued to him


- rargueta-us"

Hopefully, my negative feedback will get their son extra lashings and less dinner (but really we all know it's a bullshit excuse anyway)
:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

"... the punishment was swift and severe in the Rargueta household that evening..."
1000steps wrote:Gift payments are like unprotected sex - always a bad idea with strangers... If you are gonna do it, do it with someone you trust absolutely.
User avatar
oldfartatplay
Art Expert
Posts: 1829
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:42 am

Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:19 am

xN3rDx wrote:After a decent back and forth with this Ebay'er about my MBW Reborn he offered a price and I accepted. While waiting on payment I recieved this message:

"Hello I am terribly sorry my son bid on this and messaged you . We do not have the money to pay for that . If you can cancel it that would be perfect sorry for the inconvenience again . A punishment will be issued to him


- rargueta-us"

Hopefully, my negative feedback will get their son extra lashings and less dinner (but really we all know it's a bullshit excuse anyway)
WOW! this same person has been giving me the run around for 2 weeks over another MW print (the usual bs about not getting payed until thursday will you take this lowball offer, etc). we agreed on a price and then he asks if I'll pay for shipping. Think I should block him???
Post Reply