The Ebay Advice Column

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
fdiskmbr
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:07 pm

I seek advice. Sold a poster on ebay. Took a video, posted the video on the ebay auction, then rolled the poster using Kevin Tongs technique, and shipped with yazoo mills tube. He said "small dent/crease in the bottom corner of the print". I am very anal about condition myself and don't see how I could have damaged it. Paid for insurance when I shipped it. Has anyone gone threw this. What did you do, file a calm with USPS, ebay, paypal?

Video of Kevin rolling a poster
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfKDl67UtAE
Last edited by fdiskmbr on Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:10 pm

Germany is now on my banned list. Last two tubes to go to there were massively delayed and opened. One spent a week+ in Greece!?!? Luckily the goods arrived just fine both times but it seems way to random to keep sending there.

mycrospazm
Art Expert

Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:44 pm

fdiskmbr wrote:I seek advice. Sold a poster on ebay. Took a video, posted the video on the ebay auction, then rolled the poster using Kevin Tongs technique, and shipped with yazoo mills tube. He said "small dent/crease in the bottom corner of the print". I am very anal about condition myself and don't see how I could have damaged it. Paid for insurance when I shipped it. Has anyone gone threw this. What did you do, file a calm with USPS, ebay, paypal?

Video of Kevin rolling a poster
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfKDl67UtAE
Small dents and creases can either go unnoticed in bad lighting, or can be ignored by some sellers. Have him send you pics showing the damage and showing the number so you know he's not trying to scam. Offer a partial refund. I suggest at least 10% discount, but that is up to you. If this isn't acceptable, ask him to send it back fully insured, and once you receive it, issue the refund and file a claim.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:51 am

Some of ya'll don't understand how postal insurance works.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
jodeci78
Art Expert

Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:54 am

i ship to Germany all day long. good customers.
mycrospazm
Art Expert

Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:14 am

Codeblue wrote:Some of ya'll don't understand how postal insurance works.
Buyer should file the claim via Usps in most cases. I do know that unless you can prove that it was packaged properly and it truly was damaged in shipment it is pretty easy to be denied.

Is there anything else that I should know about?
fdiskmbr
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:15 am

This is true and I am learning the hard way. I took a video of all the corns edges and scanned the body with my flip cam the day before the aution ended, I included the video into the ebay listing. I am still waiting for the pictures of the damage but i just cant see how i could have damaged it. It was rolled in a 4 inch yazoo mills tube so I didnt even have to roll it into a small diameter. IF I decide to sell a poster again I will take a zillion pictures, do the video recording but continue to record me rolling the poster, put some tape or sticker on the kraft paper roll and sign that.

Once I get the pictures I will give ebay a call. I dont know what they can do for me so I will see how that goes. I am new to posters but before I used to be into comic books so I know how condition is everything. Sorry for the rant but I take care of my stuff and find it hard to believe the poster got damaged from my handling or from shipping.
fdiskmbr
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:51 am

mycrospazm wrote:
Buyer should file the claim via Usps in most cases. I do know that unless you can prove that it was packaged properly and it truly was damaged in shipment it is pretty easy to be denied.

Is there anything else that I should know about?
Hmmm I bought the Mondo posters at SDCC. Not sure of how to properly roll the posters I carried them to my car after each purchase. The poster sold was stored on a flat table in the plastic bag it came in, the rest are in frames (Aaron Bros sale). It was my first poster roll but I didnt attempt until I saw the right video. Lad the kraft paper down made a small fold at the bottom, placed the poster into the fold and rolled starting big making my way down to a 4 inch diameter, rolled the rest and tape on the end of the kraft to keep it in a roll.
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:54 am

fdiskmbr wrote:
This is true and I am learning the hard way. I took a video of all the corns edges and scanned the body with my flip cam the day before the aution ended, I included the video into the ebay listing. I am still waiting for the pictures of the damage but i just cant see how i could have damaged it. It was rolled in a 4 inch yazoo mills tube so I didnt even have to roll it into a small diameter. IF I decide to sell a poster again I will take a zillion pictures, do the video recording but continue to record me rolling the poster, put some tape or sticker on the kraft paper roll and sign that.

Once I get the pictures I will give ebay a call. I dont know what they can do for me so I will see how that goes. I am new to posters but before I used to be into comic books so I know how condition is everything. Sorry for the rant but I take care of my stuff and find it hard to believe the poster got damaged from my handling or from shipping.
What's it going to cost to have the customer ship it back to you? Take that value and offer that as a partial refund. If they disagree, have them send it back and give them a full refund when received.

A USPS claim is going to be pointless. So is calling eBay. The print was either damaged prior to packaging, during the packaging process, or in transit due to insufficient packaging. $.02.
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
trarex
Art Expert

Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:20 am

You can forget it unless the tube was crushed , even then............
"Lay off Detroit, Them peoples is living in Mad Max times." Moe Szyslak
fdiskmbr
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:38 pm

Thanks you guys for your input. I responded to the buyers email yesterday afternoon for the pictures and again just now this morning to please send the pictures. Called ebay to see what can be done to protect myself on my end. Found out a file has not yet been filed and its a good thing I have video proof there was no damage prior to shipping. Also received a service request number. Just going to wait for the pictures for now.
stuckeyc
Art Expert

Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:58 pm

I have never had a usps claim denied. Now with the online filing its quick and easy. Usually have money in your account within a week or two.
fdiskmbr
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:09 pm

stuckeyc wrote:I have never had a usps claim denied. Now with the online filing its quick and easy. Usually have money in your account within a week or two.
Stuckeyc, where you the buyer or the seller?
choke
Art Expert

Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:48 am

stuckeyc wrote:I have never had a usps claim denied. Now with the online filing its quick and easy. Usually have money in your account within a week or two.
Even when there is no sign of wear and tear to the packaging?
stuckeyc
Art Expert

Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:12 pm

fdiskmbr wrote:
Stuckeyc, where you the buyer or the seller?
Seller. Only had to file a few times