The Ebay Advice Column

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
User avatar
tylt33
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 641
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:07 pm

Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:03 am

DeltaSigChi4 wrote:You do realise that it is not a REQUIREMENT for a seller to dole out partial refunds to whiners. Pay to ship it back to the seller and take the full refund. End of first world problem.

E
Despite that dull, vacant look in your eyes, you may be on to something,
DickButt wrote:It's a miracle some of you are even able to turn on a computer.

Yes. The answer to your question is yes.
User avatar
mistersmith
Art Freak
Posts: 13557
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:09 am
Location: SF, CA

Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:11 am

Grateful69Phish wrote:You do see that crease running in the middle?
No. I see a light line on the back side of a print, that the seller describes as "a faint indentation on the back of the print," which indicates it's not visible/has no effect on the image side. So, no problem.

If it's fine to display it's fine to own. A decent chunk of prints sold as new come like that -- like someone (Diesel? Doyle?) said, if you saw how many of these "mint" prints were dried in shops with leaky roofs, and were printed by guys with a beer in their hand and a cigarette on their lips, you'd freak. And, I can tell you, nobody should give a fudge about some edge wear on a Princess Effing Mononoke print -- that's what borders are for, it's still frameable, and it ain't like the MoMA's gonna come calling for a copy in thirty years.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
User avatar
tylt33
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 641
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:07 pm

Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:07 am

Before this train derails any further, seller offered a full refund through Paypal. I'm sending them back tomorrow. Anything I need to do other than insure, track, and have signature delivery? I want this to go smoothly.
DickButt wrote:It's a miracle some of you are even able to turn on a computer.

Yes. The answer to your question is yes.
User avatar
DeltaSigChi4
Flipper
Posts: 3760
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:00 am

Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:51 am

Send the MoMA an email notifying them that there is no longer a need to keep in touch with you over the years over these works of art. :lol:

E
User avatar
tylt33
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 641
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:07 pm

Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:09 am

DeltaSigChi4 wrote:Send the MoMA an email notifying them that there is no longer a need to keep in touch with you over the years over these works of art. :lol:

E
Bazinga!
DickButt wrote:It's a miracle some of you are even able to turn on a computer.

Yes. The answer to your question is yes.
User avatar
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak
Posts: 11558
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:41 pm
Location: Nirvana

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:16 am

mistersmith wrote:
Grateful69Phish wrote:You do see that crease running in the middle?
No. I see a light line on the back side of a print, that the seller describes as "a faint indentation on the back of the print," which indicates it's not visible/has no effect on the image side. So, no problem.

If it's fine to display it's fine to own. A decent chunk of prints sold as new come like that -- like someone (Diesel? Doyle?) said, if you saw how many of these "mint" prints were dried in shops with leaky roofs, and were printed by guys with a beer in their hand and a cigarette on their lips, you'd freak. And, I can tell you, nobody should give a fudge about some edge wear on a Princess Effing Mononoke print -- that's what borders are for, it's still frameable, and it ain't like the MoMA's gonna come calling for a copy in thirty years.
:lol:

You're a wise and reasonable man mistersmith but I don't think a buyer should be responsible for any damage due to a donkeypotamus packing methods - especially on that kind of money.

Not sure comparing an artists work shop to a poor packer as one in the same.....

:pint:

Glad to hear it worked out :wink: :wink:
User avatar
DMBfan
Art Expert
Posts: 1979
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:00 am

Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:16 pm

So, since the USPS Insurance thread was locked (probably because Delta came in as usual and fudge all over it) I'm still wondering if there was false information.

I just shipped a print and asked the USPS employee if I was covered by using the insurance form for $200+...that is will the recipient be required to sign, and would my ass be covered in the event of foul play. She said yes, and I would not need to use the Signature Confirmation form. I could have USPS retrieve the signature as proof.

Sound right?

I've been shipping this way for years, but that other thread contained wrong information, just wanted to clear it up.
User avatar
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much
Posts: 52672
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:00 am
Location: Expresso Beans

Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:22 pm

YOU can't retrieve the signature unless you pay for signature confirmation.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
User avatar
DMBfan
Art Expert
Posts: 1979
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:00 am

Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:29 pm

Codeblue wrote:YOU can't retrieve the signature unless you pay for signature confirmation.
Not that I trust them, but the USPS employee said I could. And she said it 100% covered my ass.

Regardless, any print I sell over $200 is getting Signature Confirmation from now on.
User avatar
ToolFanFromWayBack
Art Expert
Posts: 5710
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:05 am
Location: Houston, TX

Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:31 pm

DMBfan wrote:
Codeblue wrote:YOU can't retrieve the signature unless you pay for signature confirmation.
Not that I trust them, but the USPS employee said I could. And she said it 100% covered my ass.

Regardless, any print I sell over $200 is getting Signature Confirmation from now on.
I am not sure if the USPS requires a signature confirmation for insurance, but if you sell via Paypal, they require signature confirmation on anything above $250 to be covered by seller protection (such that it is).
I need more. Nothing seems to satisfy. I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive. - MJK
“People incapable of guilt usually have a good time.” - Rust Cohle
Presenting Codeblue's 30000th post -
Codeblue wrote:bump
User avatar
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much
Posts: 52672
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:00 am
Location: Expresso Beans

Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:35 pm

DMBfan wrote:
Codeblue wrote:YOU can't retrieve the signature unless you pay for signature confirmation.
Not that I trust them, but the USPS employee said I could. And she said it 100% covered my ass.

Regardless, any print I sell over $200 is getting Signature Confirmation from now on.
I highly doubt the employee said that. If he or she did, he or she is a moron. The post office can retrieve a signature (if they choose to require one), however YOU can't retrieve the signature unless you pay for signature confirmation service.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
User avatar
DMBfan
Art Expert
Posts: 1979
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:00 am

Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:36 pm

ToolFanFromWayBack wrote:
DMBfan wrote:
Codeblue wrote:YOU can't retrieve the signature unless you pay for signature confirmation.
Not that I trust them, but the USPS employee said I could. And she said it 100% covered my ass.

Regardless, any print I sell over $200 is getting Signature Confirmation from now on.
I am not sure if the USPS requires a signature confirmation for insurance, but if you sell via Paypal, they require signature confirmation on anything above $250 to be covered by seller protection (such that it is).
That's good to know, thank you. I wasn't aware of that...so by default anything pricey should get Signature Confirmation, not just the signature needed for insured items over $200.
User avatar
DMBfan
Art Expert
Posts: 1979
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:00 am

Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:38 pm

Codeblue wrote:
DMBfan wrote:
Codeblue wrote:YOU can't retrieve the signature unless you pay for signature confirmation.
Not that I trust them, but the USPS employee said I could. And she said it 100% covered my ass.

Regardless, any print I sell over $200 is getting Signature Confirmation from now on.
I highly doubt the employee said that. If he or she did, he or she is a moron. The post office can retrieve a signature (if they choose to require one), however YOU can't retrieve the signature unless you pay for signature confirmation service.
I have no reason to lie, I was just there blue. She could have been wrong...doesn't take a ph.D to work at the post office. Doesn't take one to post here either. See what I did there :lol:
Bickel

Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:39 pm

What Blue said - you don't get proof that someone signed for it unless you ask/pay for signature confirmation, and don't believe what USPS employees tell you, just get the sig. confirmation, or you're taking a risk.
User avatar
bigmuls
Art Expert
Posts: 1959
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:01 pm
Location: DC USA

Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:40 pm

Many USPS employees I've dealt with are idiots.
Post Reply