The Ebay Advice Column

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:26 am

bigmuls wrote:Is anyone else having trouble shipping internationally from the US today via eBay and USPS? I've been trying all day with no luck. System seems to be not working.
Did a couple First Class International labels earlier with no problems.
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
bigmuls
Art Expert

Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:22 am

halftonegraphics wrote:
bigmuls wrote:Is anyone else having trouble shipping internationally from the US today via eBay and USPS? I've been trying all day with no luck. System seems to be not working.
Did a couple First Class International labels earlier with no problems.
I'm trying Priority and Express and failing still. Guess I'll call them.
jjbehren
Flipper

Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:20 am

How to opt out of Ebay's new "Agreement to Arbitrate".

http://slickdeals.net/f/5107736-New-eba ... paign=tu12
maddog76
Flipper

Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:34 pm

Anyone ever get on of these?

Dear XXXXXX

We recently learned that your eBay account has been involved in activity that violates one of our policies.

eBay members aren't allowed to use systems or techniques to avoid eBay fees. One example of this is including contact information or an offer to buy or sell an item outside of eBay within a Best Offer.
mattlew69
Art Expert

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:24 am

This package had quite the little USPS adventure.

Michigan to New Jersey with a few minor stops in between. WTF?? :shock:
Acceptance
Aug-18-12, 10:00 AM, GRAND RAPIDS, MI

Processed at USPS Origin Sort Facility
Aug-20-12, 20:18 PM, WARRENDALE, PA

Depart USPS Sort Facility
Aug-21-12, 00:00 AM, WARRENDALE, PA

Aug-27-12, 00:00 AM, SAINT PAUL, MN

Processed through USPS Sort Facility
Aug-27-12, 00:53 AM, SAINT PAUL, MN

Aug-27-12, 00:00 AM, DES MOINES, IA

Aug-27-12, 13:07 PM, DES MOINES, IA

Aug-28-12, 21:07 PM, JERSEY CITY, NJ
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:54 pm

mattlew69 wrote:This package had quite the little USPS adventure.

Michigan to New Jersey with a few minor stops in between. WTF?? :shock:
Acceptance
Aug-18-12, 10:00 AM, GRAND RAPIDS, MI

Aug-20-12, 20:18 PM, WARRENDALE, PA

Aug-21-12, 00:00 AM, WARRENDALE, PA

Aug-27-12, 00:00 AM, SAINT PAUL, MN

Aug-27-12, 00:53 AM, SAINT PAUL, MN

Aug-27-12, 00:00 AM, DES MOINES, IA

Aug-27-12, 13:07 PM, DES MOINES, IA

Aug-28-12, 21:07 PM, JERSEY CITY, NJ
Must have enrolled in the frequent flyers rewards program. Gotta get those points!

Surprised it made it through Warrendale. That's one of the known black holes.
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
mattlew69
Art Expert

Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:13 pm

Has anyone ever had a package never reach customs? I sent this out 20 days ago and this is the tracking info. :x
2012-08-09, 21:19:00, GRAND RAPIDS, MI 49512

Dispatched to Sort Facility
2012-08-09, 17:57:00, GRAND RAPIDS, MI 49505

2012-08-09, 00:00:00, GRAND RAPIDS, MI 49512
USPS is really starting to piss me off!

I am still waiting on an international insurance claim from 4 months ago, then a package goes to hell and back and now this!

Hopefully, postal disasters only happen in 3's.
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:19 pm

mattlew69 wrote:Has anyone ever had a package never reach customs? I sent this out 20 days ago and this is the tracking info. :x

I am still waiting on an international insurance claim from 4 months ago, then a package goes to hell and back and now this!

What was the destination?

On another note, if you are shipping internationally through eBay, always use the eBay insurance. Soooooooooooooo much easier for claims.

1xRun Referral
mattlew69
Art Expert

Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:39 pm

I never use that other ship insurance company. Since I dont trust too many second hand insurance companies, like those ones that try to get you to buy extensions on your car's warranty.

I actually had to buy the extra insurance at the post office because it was valued at $475. At the time, I couldn't buy $475 worth of insurance online. Now it looks like you can pay for up to $1000 online, which is nice.

The real hold up on the claim is that my local post office manager has been rude to me ever since I made this claim. First off, she sat on the paperwork for a month before even looking at it, then claimed i never bought enough insurance (she had the original receipt in front of her), then she filled out the wrong paperwork to send to international claims, and now she has been too busy to take my calls or finish filling out the claim forms.

I am about to go postal!!!...........now, i see where that phrase came from. :P

The destination was London. Are they having mailing issues over there?

It must be an issue on my end since it never even reached customs in Chicago.
halftonegraphics wrote:
mattlew69 wrote:Has anyone ever had a package never reach customs? I sent this out 20 days ago and this is the tracking info. :x

What was the destination?

On another note, if you are shipping internationally through eBay, always use the eBay insurance. Soooooooooooooo much easier for claims.
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:49 pm

Have you tried searching the tracking/customs number on the Royal Post site?

As for service updates, looks like a lot of ship going on with Royal Mail. Not sure what it means, but here you go..
As reported by the Royal Post, dispatches from HWDC and Coventry Parcelforce, Great Britain, will be as follows:

Outbound:

Aug. 27 - Normal Monday Operations (No air dispatches for Priority letter mail and Parcels. Road dispatches will be as bilaterally agreed with Administrations involved.)
Aug. 28 - All Priority letter mail and Parcel dispatches are canceled.
Aug. 29 - All Priority letter mail and Parcel dispatches are back to normal operation

Inbound:

All mail arriving before CTT on Aug. 25 is due for delivery Aug. 28.
All mail arriving after CTT on Aug. 25 is due for delivery Aug. 29

The Royal Post has reported the following changes.

Affective immediately, all LC/AO items for delivery in Great Britain should now be addressed to IMPC code "GBLALA" address "LANGLEY HWDC". (US exception follows below)

Affective immediately, the following OEs currently dispatching packet (AO) mail to GBLONB - MOUNT PLEASANT are now asked to dispatch to GBLALA - LANGLEY HWDC.

AT ATVIEC * AU AUDRWC *CZ CZPRGA *CY CYLCAA *DK DKCPHA *ES ESBCNB, ESMADB *GR GRATHA *FI FIHELA *FR FRLBGA *IS ISREKA *HU HUBUDA
MT MTMARA *NO NOOSLA *PL PLWAWA *PT PTLISA *SE SEARND, SESTOD, SEARND, SEMMAI *SK SKBTSA

US Exception:

US IPC & Domestic trays dispatched from USHNLY, USJFKY, USLAXY, USMIAY and USORDY should be sent to GBLALA
US Packets from USHNLA, USJFKA, USLAXA, USMIAA and USORDA should continue to be dispatched to GBLONB

As for eBay insurance, if the item isn't delivered within 30 days on an international shipment, they issue you the funds for the claim. Very convenient and amazingly quick on getting it done. No hassles.

1xRun Referral
ToolFanFromWayBack
Art Expert

Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:01 pm

Details of how to opt out of the new arbitration agreement on eBay (from the link posted above). As someone mentioned in the thread the link points to, if a company makes you jump thru hoops to opt out of something, it is probably in your best interest to do so...

Updated provisions governing how disputes between eBay and eBay users are resolved.

The User Agreement contains an Agreement to Arbitrate, which will, with limited exception, require you and eBay to submit claims to binding and final arbitration, unless you opt-out of the Agreement to Arbitrate by November 9, 2012. Unless you opt-out: (1) you will only be permitted to pursue claims against eBay on an individual basis, not as part of any class or representative action or proceeding and (2) you will only be permitted to seek relief (including monetary, injunctive, and declaratory relief) on an individual basis.

Opt-Out Procedure

You can choose to reject this Agreement to Arbitrate ("opt-out") by mailing us a written opt-out notice ("Opt-Out Notice"). For new eBay users, the Opt-Out Notice must be postmarked no later than 30 days after the date you accept the User Agreement for the first time. If you are already a current eBay user and previously accepted the User Agreement prior to the introduction of this Agreement to Arbitrate, the Opt-Out Notice must be postmarked no later than November 9, 2012 . You must mail the Opt-Out Notice to eBay Inc., c/o National Registered Agents, Inc., 2778 W. Shady Bend Lane, Lehi, UT 84043.

The Opt-Out Notice must state that you do not agree to this Agreement to Arbitrate and must include your name, address, and the user ID(s) and email address(es) associated with the eBay account(s) to which the opt-out applies. You must sign the Opt-Out Notice for it to be effective. This procedure is the only way you can opt-out of the Agreement to Arbitrate. If you opt-out of the Agreement to Arbitrate, all other parts of the User Agreement and its Legal Disputes Section will continue to apply to you. Opting out of this Agreement to Arbitrate has no effect on any previous, other, or future arbitration agreements that you may have with us.
I need more. Nothing seems to satisfy. I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive. - MJK
“People incapable of guilt usually have a good time.” - Rust Cohle
Presenting Codeblue's 30000th post -
Codeblue wrote:bump
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:07 pm

Hopefully this means a class action suit for charging fees on shipping is near.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
Bickel

Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:20 pm

I'm looking at doing an increased amount of shipping, enough to consider getting the whole postal scale/postage printer setup, but not enough to go crazy with it. Small items mostly - dvds, books, poster tubes and the occasional large priority mail box.

Recommendations for what I should get as far as the scale/printer goes? I've already got a printer, but I don't know if it will work with the postage stickers (it's an Epson NX430). I've got a Staples and an Office Depot close by, or could order this setup through Amazon, if the price difference is that much.
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:30 pm

I have a 5lb Pelouze/Dymo scale with a Dymo LabelWriter 450. Anything over 5lbs I just use my scale in my bathroom.

I order the thermal labels online for the Dymo and average $.035 a label (no cost for ink of course).

If you want to go the cheap/semi-free route, a lot of people will print on 8 1/2 x 11 and then use these ( https://store.usps.com/store/browse/pro ... ostalForms ). This way you don't have to tape the sheets down. Technically, it is against USPS policy to do that. Keep in mind, you still have your ink cost and paper cost with this route.

1xRun Referral
caloudas
Art Connoisseur

Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:21 am

hey guys, thinking about putting a print on the bay that will get at least 2k..never sold something so pricey on the bay before...
was wondering:
1)is the best way to protect myself to offer buy it now at a higher price, and then wait for an offer to roll through from someone with good feedback?
2) how do you insure a print that sells for 2k?
3) anyone ever videotape themselves packing a print, and then dropping it off to FedEx, in one continuous video, for "coverage purposes"?

how can i make this transaction more scam-proof?

thanks for the help on this. naturally i am a little nervous about getting rid of something with value.

edit: i realize i have asked this before in another thread, and there was some good info there, but just wanted to hear from a few more experts. cheers.