The Ebay Advice Column

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:20 am

April 3 i sold a poster, as i packaged it i realized it had light damage so i initiated a refund through the transaction, the transaction processed through, included message and picture to the buyer. a couple days later buyer messaged me and said they don't mind the damage, would still like to buy the poster, so i re-listed it and gave them a discount and they purchased it through an entirely separate auction. today, i get an email from ebay saying 'your payout has been sent to your bank' and i don't have anything for sale so i wondered wtf for? i went into my account and it shows a refund was processed for the initial transaction from april 3, and the refund money was sent directly to me. i have no idea why a refund would be sent to me, what for, or any reason this was even initiated or how it makes logical sense at all. I called ebay and they have no idea how to explain this to me either, but there's a few hundred dollars on its way to my bank account. it doesn't even say where this money came from, or why, or how it was initiated yesterday as a refund. is this just a computer drymount up on ebays part?
jjttdw
Art Expert

Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:28 am

NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:36 am

LOLS. i'm sure they'll be back for it
zeuscarver
Art Connoisseur

Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:52 pm

Has anyone used UPS capital 'InsureShield' service?
trying to figure out how to actually insure a 4K shipment which is too big for USPS..

seems too good to be true but if it works, could be great.
aldo
Art Expert

Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:00 pm

zeuscarver wrote:
trying to figure out how to actually insure a 4K shipment which is too big for USPS..

Priority Mail Express lets you insure up to 5k.
zeuscarver
Art Connoisseur

Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:36 am

aldo wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:00 pm
zeuscarver wrote:

Priority Mail Express lets you insure up to 5k.
The package is too big for USPS..
Considering having UPS pack it themselves even though i have an awesome crate for it.
jjttdw
Art Expert

Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:28 pm

I have a piece of eBay advice. Do not buy prints from Funko / Sneaker Kids if they have removed the print(s) from the tube. For the second time in as many months I received prints with edge damage. I even told this guy to pack the prints in paper taped to a diameter less than the tube so they don't slide. He put an inch of tape that did not hold. Beyond that they were Obey prints that I am sure came in a 3" tube. Well, sneaker kid cut a 4" tube to 20" long to use. Had he just used the original tube and paper things probably wouldn't have gone south.

I can guarantee this kid is going to lose money off his Obey flip.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
lebantz
Art Connoisseur

Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:16 am

Thanks. Made a template message to sellers - "Are you a funko/sneaker drymount boy?"
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:26 am

lebantz wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:16 am
Thanks. Made a template message to sellers - "Are you a funko/sneaker drymount boy?"
Wouldn't you just look at what else they have listed or completed?
pvecchi
Art Expert

Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:57 pm

I have some guy accusing me of selling him a fake poster (opened an item not as described case against me), wanting me to pay for him to ship it back to him. Just an AH in his communication

Is it worth fighting the return shipping? I’m fine with refunding the cash but he’s been such a jerk it kinda pisses me off I have to pay him to ship it back

If yes, what’s the best way of doing this? Letting eBay settle the dispute?
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:06 pm

pvecchi wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:57 pm
I have some guy accusing me of selling him a fake poster (opened an item not as described case against me), wanting me to pay for him to ship it back to him. Just an AH in his communication

Is it worth fighting the return shipping? I’m fine with refunding the cash but he’s been such a jerk it kinda pisses me off I have to pay him to ship it back

If yes, what’s the best way of doing this? Letting eBay settle the dispute?
Don't let eBay settle it, it counts against your seller metrics as a defect: "cases closed without seller resolution". If they send you back a fake print, file a police report with your local and then call eBay and let them know you received a different item back and you will be covered under seller protection once you submit the police report details (or they may just file a less detailed note than a police report in which case you just submit those details).
pvecchi
Art Expert

Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:49 pm

Yeah, I kinda figured that. Just sucks being out shipping both ways for doing nothing wrong

Seems to me they are abusing the process since I don’t accept returns. Especially filing it as a “wrong item” and accusing me of fraud
jjttdw
Art Expert

Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:21 pm

On eBay there is no such thing as not accepting returns.
pvecchi
Art Expert

Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:50 pm

jjttdw wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:21 pm
On eBay there is no such thing as not accepting returns.

Hasn’t been for awhile as far as I can tell.

As far as I know, all I can do is accept the refund and use the “report a buyer” option after the fact. Otherwise I will get dinged if I wait for eBay to “decide” in the buyer’s favor, which I assume they will

I was wondering if someone knew a way for the buyer to feel the pinch to maybe discourage this in the future. A long shot, I know

I know eBay doesn’t care, but it’d be nice if before buyers buy the item if they had to toggle / check that they read the item description and its a contract.

I know all this is fantasy.
stuckeyc
Art Expert

Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:26 am

Name and shame please