The Ebay Advice Column

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:05 am

pvecchi wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:35 am
What do you need to do to get the chargeback reversed after the item shows up a month late due to USPS?

ygolohcysp wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:20 pm
eBay managed payments is far more seller friendly when it comes to having issues with buyers, at least in my experience so far. I've been on since July I believe so just about a year now. Chargebacks are resolved in my favor with proof of delivery. Item not received because usps is annoying these days gets the refund reversed when the item shows up a month later. Buyer used an item and sent it back? I keep 50% when refunding them. Buyer complains and eBay placates them without any effect to me. I've had all these situations arise multiple times in the last year and eBay always has me covered. In the past if a buyer didn't like the result of complaining on eBay they would then force your hand by complaining to PayPal. This change has been a huge positive for me selling on EBay. It's been 20 years at this point and I welcome this round of changes with open arms.
I hope you just called ebay :D
Philpenn
Art Expert

Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:44 am

I've not sold or bought anything on eBay for a while, but did both on 7/3. As of today, 7/5, the money hasn't shown up in my account for the item sold, nor has it been taken from my account for the item purchased. That the new normal, or is something f'd?
BENYOUNG20
Art Expert

Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:59 pm

Philpenn wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:44 am
I've not sold or bought anything on eBay for a while, but did both on 7/3. As of today, 7/5, the money hasn't shown up in my account for the item sold, nor has it been taken from my account for the item purchased. That the new normal, or is something f'd?
If you bought and paid for an item on 7/3 they took the payment on 7/3.
If you sold an item on 7/3, and assuming you have daily withdraws setup, you will get that payment on 7/7. (3,4 were weekends, today is a bank holiday, it will process tomorrow and then be in account Wed.)
Philpenn
Art Expert

Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:18 pm

Cheers. Figured it may be due to the holiday, but didn't think that mattered with electronic transfers. The 7/3 purchase has not been withdrawn from my account though. Mayhaps I'm getting that very rare/expensive record for free. One can dream.
stuckeyc
Art Expert

Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:23 am

4 days to receive funds is best case scenario? I assume that's from time buyer pays, i.e. Ebay doesn't front the funds. So slow buyers/non paying buyers still can't be given neg feedback I reckon? Are sellers expected to ship during that 4 day window? I have a bunch of concerns with the changes and something if I will ever sell there again
BENYOUNG20
Art Expert

Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:43 am

stuckeyc wrote:
4 days to receive funds is best case scenario? I assume that's from time buyer pays, i.e. Ebay doesn't front the funds. So slow buyers/non paying buyers still can't be given neg feedback I reckon? Are sellers expected to ship during that 4 day window? I have a bunch of concerns with the changes and something if I will ever sell there again
- 4 days to receive funds is basically due to some one buying the item over the holiday weekend, normally it's 3 days from when some thing is paid for till its in my account.

- I use buy it not almost exclusively, so no slow buyers as they have to pay when they buy.

- Sellers are expected to ship in what ever time frame they selected and posted in the listing.

Overall the new system is way better, its just a bit of a learning curve.
Philpenn
Art Expert

Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:00 pm

Money for my record was withdrawn this morning, and seller shipped it this afternoon. Still haven't received the money for my sale, and I'm not shipping until I do.
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:22 pm

Philpenn wrote:
Money for my record was withdrawn this morning, and seller shipped it this afternoon. Still haven't received the money for my sale, and I'm not shipping until I do.
You've already been paid in ebay, you can check it. The money is on the way to your bank account from your ebay account (which holds cash until it transfers). You're still on the hook to fulfill in the time frame you promised in the listing.
BENYOUNG20
Art Expert

Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:00 pm

Philpenn wrote:
You have to ship in your time frame you listed it in. Also they do have limits on new sellers (if thats you) where they don't send you the payment till it has shipped.
Kramerica
Art Freak

Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:24 pm

The managed payments system has been pretty smooth so far in my experience. I usually specify a two day shipping time and use the pending payout to pay for the shipping cost if buying shipping via ebay. The money is usually in my account the third business day after sale. Opened a bank account specific for ebay and can transfer the funds out as soon as they hit if I want. The one thing I don't like is they charge me fees on the sales tax they collect.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
pvecchi
Art Expert

Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:57 pm

stuckeyc wrote:
It's different but a better system imo. Don't worry too much or overthink it. About the same cost without the PayPal middleman

The money transfer time (2-3 days) is pretty common for many financial transactions. If you don't need the money *instantly* it isn't really an issue imo

Although I do kind of wish PayPal was their payment processor and I could gamble / convert payments to bitcoins. That's the disappointment to me
Philpenn
Art Expert

Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:13 pm

Are eBay bucks no longer a thing?
BENYOUNG20
Art Expert

Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:24 am

Philpenn wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:13 pm
Are eBay bucks no longer a thing?
Let me google that for you:
https://community.ebay.com/t5/Buying/Eb ... p/31663836
jjttdw
Art Expert

Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:37 am

Kramerica wrote:
The one thing I don't like is they charge me fees on the sales tax they collect.
Yeah, that is BS. Sucks paying it too but I guess the government needs money to run. So does the state in which the buyer lives the one who gets the sales tax?
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:56 pm

jjttdw wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:37 am
Kramerica wrote:
The one thing I don't like is they charge me fees on the sales tax they collect.
Yeah, that is BS. Sucks paying it too but I guess the government needs money to run. So does the state in which the buyer lives the one who gets the sales tax?
Supposedly, the new rules that established eBay, Amazon, etc as "market place facilitators" puts the onus on them. I actually mark those sale amounts as such on my sales tax return, it counts as income in your state that you don't owe sales tax on.