The Ebay Advice Column

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
BENYOUNG20
Art Expert

Fri May 07, 2021 5:08 pm

More and more on make offers even when I want to accept their offer, I counter it with one a penny lower. They offer $29, I counter at $28.99. That way they have to accept and pay right away. Saves me from accepting theirs then waiting and hoping they pay.
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Fri May 07, 2021 5:59 pm

jjttdw wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 2:47 pm
Seriously...who does a BIN and doesn't pay immediately? I've forgotten I made an offer while drinking that was later accepted but it still only took me a couple days to shake off the hangover, realize what I did, and pay up.
I think you mean "who does a BIN and doesn't require payment immediately"
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Fri May 07, 2021 6:00 pm

BENYOUNG20 wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 5:08 pm
More and more on make offers even when I want to accept their offer, I counter it with one a penny lower. They offer $29, I counter at $28.99. That way they have to accept and pay right away. Saves me from accepting theirs then waiting and hoping they pay.
Today I learned. Thanks for sharing
bsharp
Art Expert

Fri May 07, 2021 6:16 pm

That's a neat idea. But -- eBay actually lets you counter with a price lower than the offered price? That sounds like bad design.
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Fri May 07, 2021 8:16 pm

bsharp wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 6:16 pm
That's a neat idea. But -- eBay actually lets you counter with a price lower than the offered price? That sounds like bad design.
If there's a happy glitch that makes someone pay immediately to accept an offer in this fashion sounds great to me. Hidden feature?
mlinderer
Art Expert

Fri May 07, 2021 10:05 pm

So update to my non paying buyer situation... they did pay Thursday morning after I gave them a last chance message Wednesday evening. I would have cut them out sooner, but to be honest I didn't think my high BIN price would have been picked up to begin with so I wanted to see if I could get this to work out. The buyer stated after finally paying "Was waiting for my FX Free CC to clear before making payment to avoid FX fees."

And yes, I definitely should have posted the listing and required immediate payment. I actually remember looking at that check box as I was creating the listing and I have no clue why I passed over it at the time and will certainly do so in the future.
jjttdw
Art Expert

Sat May 08, 2021 10:53 am

Sell you stuff to me b
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
ryefish75
EB Team Emeritus

Tue May 11, 2021 2:05 pm

So I've bought and sold on eBay since November 1998, and it wasn't long after the first changes to eBay's selling rules made me wish there was a halfway decent competitor. I think Amazon had an auction component years ago, but if memory serves it was clunky and didn't have the volume of eBay.
The pandemic - and Marie Kondo- inspired me to clear some clutter. Also, now that I am 45 and "officially" middle aged, I have been keen to adopt the Scandinavian practice of döstädning (death cleaning), and becoming a bit more minimalist.
A few months ago I started going through my crap, tchotchkes and trinkets I've had most of my life, but don't need nor really have much sentimental attachment to. I started listing these on eBay, and was doing quite well when Managed Payments kicked in. There were some issues with certain items, but I adapted and kept selling. It seemed as I posted new items, my older stale items would start to sell.
Then, last week, with over 100 active listings, my sales came to a dead stop. With no movement on eBay, I tested a few items on Facebook Marketplace with "shipping only." Everything I listed sold almost instantly. So I migrated most of my eBay items over to FB and had dual listings on each platform. My FB items were moving almost as fast as I could list. So far, in the past few days, I've sold a ton of items on FB MP, most previously lingered on eBay for months. While FB is not perfect and will still need a lot of tweaking with regards to categories, prohibited items, and their odd payment scheme, I'm happy to finally see eBay get slapped down a bit. While I would hate for FB to Blockbuster eBay, Netfilx/Redbox style, they do need some humbling.
I haven't sold any posters there, other than that small Star Wars III Promo print Fairey did for Best Buy years ago (for a whole $19), but the potential is there.
Apologies for the long post, but my FB Marketplace experience has been so positive so far, that I felt I needed to share it. Was also hoping to read what experience others are having/have had with FB Marketplace.

TL/DR: eBay= Great Britain (Pre WWI)/Iceman/Duke/Harriet Oleson/Bowser.
Facebook Marketplace= Great Britain (Post WWII)/Maverick/North Carolina/Nels Oleson/Mario.
jjttdw
Art Expert

Tue May 11, 2021 2:44 pm

I will have to give Marketplace a try. Well, have my wife try it as I am not on the Facebook.

My go to for just offloading stuff is Craigslist free. It is astonishing how quickly people come to pick up stuff that would end up in the trash. Have a couple 20 year old fans??? Someone will pick them up the same day.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
ryefish75
EB Team Emeritus

Tue May 11, 2021 3:10 pm

I've found that selling small items with good eye appeal does well on FBMP. With Paypal offering discounted shipping options like eBay, I create shipping labels there and FB's selling fees for shipped items is only 5% or $0.40. The funds are released when the tracking shows delivered, which is fine if your items are small- I've generally had good luck with USPS so it hasn't been an issue.
We've used FB to sell large items locally with pretty good results, but I don't want people coming by my house all times of the day.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Tue May 11, 2021 3:37 pm

ryefish75 wrote:
small items with good eye appeal
Pics or GTFO.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
ryefish75
EB Team Emeritus

Tue May 11, 2021 4:55 pm

Codeblue wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 3:37 pm
ryefish75 wrote:
small items with good eye appeal
Pics or GTFO.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by ryefish75 on Tue May 11, 2021 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Tue May 11, 2021 5:09 pm

Ya weren't kidding about tchotchkes. What does fudge like dat sell for?
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
ryefish75
EB Team Emeritus

Tue May 11, 2021 5:10 pm

Codeblue wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 5:09 pm
Ya weren't kidding about tchotchkes. What does fudge like dat sell for?
$15-25 each. Shipping is around $3.50.
jjttdw
Art Expert

Wed May 12, 2021 5:55 pm

Love the BSA thing and he quasi cloissinne thing at the bottom left. What's up with that Nazi thing?