The Ebay Advice Column

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
stuckeyc
Art Expert

Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:51 pm

the new ebay layout is terrible and apparenty the classic view is no longer an option. If it aint broke break it
Novotel16
Art Connoisseur

Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:32 pm

I took two pics of a poster from different angles... buyer claimed not as described... claims listing pics show auction is for two of the same poster and he only received one. WTH
xangelx
Art Expert

Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:21 pm

Novotel16 wrote:
I took two pics of a poster from different angles... buyer claimed not as described... claims listing pics show auction is for two of the same poster and he only received one. WTH
Wow. I gotta know how eBay responds to this genius.
"If I could fly high above the world, would I see a bunch of living dots spell the word stupidity" - Bad Religion
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:01 am

xangelx wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:21 pm
Novotel16 wrote:
Wow. I gotta know how eBay responds to this genius.
They will tell the person to send the item back. Then if they don't send back what you sent them, you file a police report and give eBay the receipt, you get your money.
guryter
Art Expert

Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:42 pm

Had someone request a return due to a full bleed print where the ink didn't cover all of the the bottom of the print. Like, if you consider a print to be 2 sides (front and back) but then factor in right, left, top, bottom borders as sides, the bottom side. So, yeah.
Stingers wrote:If you can't get it up eat less fudge, excersise and stop being a kitten.
john38103 wrote:All gin every thing. drymount all you hoes.
Relax, I honestly don't give a fudge.
jjttdw
Art Expert

Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:07 pm

ygolohcysp wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:50 am
The tax implications haven't changed. It's only the reporting, you still owe the money before and after this change.
Yeah, it just makes you have to do additional tax work. Correct me if I am wrong but if you can show your basis is more than the sales price less fees, you owe squanto in taxes. If I sell a print for $400 that I bought for $150 and five Lego sets for $200 that originally cost $450 then I don't owe fudge in taxes. Actually, I could declare a loss because of eBay and PayPal fees.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:15 pm

jjttdw wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:07 pm
ygolohcysp wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:50 am
The tax implications haven't changed. It's only the reporting, you still owe the money before and after this change.
Yeah, it just makes you have to do additional tax work. Correct me if I am wrong but if you can show your basis is more than the sales price less fees, you owe squanto in taxes. If I sell a print for $400 that I bought for $150 and five Lego sets for $200 that originally cost $450 then I don't owe fudge in taxes. Actually, I could declare a loss because of eBay and PayPal fees.
Depends on how the sales income is accounted for on your taxes. Can't take losses on a hobby is what I hear. Also expenses are harder to use with recent changes for that type of filing. I wouldn't know though, I pay my accountant every year and it all goes through my business.
jjttdw
Art Expert

Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:28 pm

If you declare losses year after year the government may say it is a hobby. Declare a profit some or every year the government is not going to declare it a hobby.

When expected to account for revenue / income in a 1099 for goods sold then the government has to expect expenses related said goods My guess is that things are run through Schedule C....at least that is where I intend to account for it when/if the time comes. Maybe I do an S Corp to avoid payroll taxes on a portion of the net income. #notmyfirstrodeo
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
mlinderer
Art Expert

Tue May 04, 2021 12:29 am

If a buyer buys an item that was up for BIN listing, how long do you give them before asking them to pay up if they didn't do so immediately?
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Tue May 04, 2021 2:36 am

mlinderer wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 12:29 am
If a buyer buys an item that was up for BIN listing, how long do you give them before asking them to pay up if they didn't do so immediately?
Set up unpaid item assistant to automatically open and progress through the steps at the fastest rate possible. I think it's 2 days for the first notice to go out and then another couple days to progress to the next step that gives them 3 more days to pay.

You should also investigate your ebay selling form and see if you can find where to activate the checkbox for "must pay immediately" on buy it now.
Philpenn
Art Expert

Thu May 06, 2021 9:57 pm

You can't even report for not paying for a won auction anymore?
jjttdw
Art Expert

Fri May 07, 2021 2:47 pm

Seriously...who does a BIN and doesn't pay immediately? I've forgotten I made an offer while drinking that was later accepted but it still only took me a couple days to shake off the hangover, realize what I did, and pay up.
Philpenn
Art Expert

Fri May 07, 2021 3:14 pm

That's what I just had. Ended up just canceling, and relisting.
xangelx
Art Expert

Fri May 07, 2021 4:27 pm

jjttdw wrote:
Seriously...who does a BIN and doesn't pay immediately? I've forgotten I made an offer while drinking that was later accepted but it still only took me a couple days to shake off the hangover, realize what I did, and pay up.
My favorite is when actively offering and counteroffering with someone, then they accept the counter, and then they don't pay. Apparently some people just love wasting time.
"If I could fly high above the world, would I see a bunch of living dots spell the word stupidity" - Bad Religion
bsharp
Art Expert

Fri May 07, 2021 4:59 pm

jjttdw wrote:
I have basically stopped accepting offers because of this. I had a streak of Obey print buyers make offers, I accept them, then they just... don’t pay. It’s more common than I thought. Or maybe my buyers are just fudge.