The Ebay Advice Column

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:20 am

pvecchi wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:50 pm
jjttdw wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:21 pm
On eBay there is no such thing as not accepting returns.

Hasn’t been for awhile as far as I can tell.

As far as I know, all I can do is accept the refund and use the “report a buyer” option after the fact. Otherwise I will get dinged if I wait for eBay to “decide” in the buyer’s favor, which I assume they will

I was wondering if someone knew a way for the buyer to feel the pinch to maybe discourage this in the future. A long shot, I know

I know eBay doesn’t care, but it’d be nice if before buyers buy the item if they had to toggle / check that they read the item description and its a contract.

I know all this is fantasy.

Yes. Offer returns. Be a top rated seller. Keep a % of the sale if they have returned something that was not the same as you sent. eBay will back you up and deal with the customer out of their own pocket.

Not offering returns encourages a buyer with remorse to make up a reason to force you to take a return.
pvecchi
Art Expert

Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:54 am

ygolohcysp wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:20 am
Not offering returns encourages a buyer with remorse to make up a reason to force you to take a return.
Yes. It also encourages customers I don't really want to deal with. I'm not selling clothes

Last year when I had that policy I had someone decide "they changed their mind" on a $200 item a month after they paid / received for it. After being forced to refund that guy's purchase price I changed my policy to no returns

I do understand it doesn't matter, but I also believe rules make "honest people honest".
Of course there are plenty of people that don't care but they will always be that way

In this case, I blocked the buyer, accepted the return and reported him for misuse of their return policy. I know it won't matter for me, but if he continues to do this (and others report him) he will be noticed. eBay thinks it's the buyer demand that brings sellers in rather the items that sellers have bringing in the buyer. They view sellers as disposable and powerless, even though it's the sellers (imo) that are eBay's customers and pay their fees. They just don't care about sellers.

I do understand they feel like then need to do this because there are a lot of shitty sellers on eBay. I personally don't buy much of anything from eBay because of this.

Once the income bump from eBay processed payments is absorbed, eBay will likely continue to slide as a platform unless they address both the bad sellers and buyers
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:30 am

FWIW I've had returns on all my listings for a few years now. I sell thousands of things a year , a large number of them being prints. No one abuses it. The only abuse I've ever had from returns is when I didn't offer them.
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:34 am

Case in point: I sold a video game controller for a computer. After two months the person opens up a return request for "I changed my mind". I tell them to ship back at their expense and when I received the item it was clearly used. I kept 50%, refunded the rest, and resold it as used to net more than the original sale. They cried to eBay, eBay refunded their money but I was protected as a top rated seller.

As a seller, you have far more attractive options to deal with people if you offer returns. Also eBay will be more likely to give you the "it's a cost of doing business on the internet" excuse as to why they won't help you if you don't offer returns.

Here's another one: person in China bought a print but had it shipped to a us based reshipper. They open up a return for not as described when it shows up damaged... But since it's outside of my return window eBay tells them to pound sand and the case automatically expires. The reshipping reason would usually be open and shut but according to eBay the return window requirement even trumped that and that was the reason the buyer loses.
lebantz
Art Connoisseur

Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:40 pm

Usually as parts - but if you state

SOLD AS IS

Does that cover returns?
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:43 pm

You can always choose not to accept returns, read above for what that means for you as the seller.
zeuscarver
Art Connoisseur

Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:28 pm

member that huge $4K art piece i shipped?

Well, I let UPS pack and ship it. they fully insured it at the store and did the shipping cross country. 500$ later it's marked as delivered.

i was paid over paypal, goods and services, i am the seller. Item is marked as delivered and signed for by 'MAILROOM' in buyer's residence.

buyer is telling me they don't have it, building doesn't have it. UPS didn't come at time on 'delivery confirmation'.

I have tracking uploaded to paypal, tracking shows delivered and signed for. so far I told buyer to wait 24 hours and open a claim, check in with UPS driver.

Any other moves?
What are the odds I get stung on this through a paypal chargeback?
partpat
Art Freak

Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:33 pm

drymount - that sucks. Hope it works out!
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:45 pm

Dealing with PayPal directly sucks. Did you have signature required? If PayPal rules in your favor when they open the case they can still file a charge back if they paid by credit card, and paypal is going to screw you there. You may have to deal with UPS directly on this one.
Kramerica
Art Freak

Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:48 pm

I was instantly reminded of this.
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=159631
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
guryter
Art Expert

I thought UPS had a max declared value of 1k for art.....not to add more drama to your life.
Stingers wrote:If you can't get it up eat less fudge, excersise and stop being a kitten.
john38103 wrote:All gin every thing. drymount all you hoes.
Relax, I honestly don't give a fudge.
turnJBup
Art Freak

Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:06 pm

Dang, you did everything properly.
Not your fault.
I’m guessing you’re going to be ok on this?
It looks like someone stole it after it left UPS possession.
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:09 pm

Gotta believe you had signature required, if so, UPS is the one on the hook here
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:10 pm

Kramerica wrote:
I was instantly reminded of this.
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=159631
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
zeuscarver
Art Connoisseur

Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:16 pm

thanks for all the reassuring stuff here.
Yes had signature confirmation.
Fedex is the one with 1K maximum, UPS was okay with that value.
yes, i'll be okay if it goes against me--helps that i bought the piece for 1K.

my main worry/unknown is credit card chargeback to paypal.
i think paypal will side with me if it only goes that far.

I'll keep yall posted!