The Ebay Advice Column

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
jjttdw
Art Expert

Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:25 pm

pvecchi wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:43 am
Quick Question:

eBay is asking me to add a new "required" item specific. Namely to describe art prints as "new" or "used" (In the Collectibles & Art category)

I tend to think of anything from the source as "new" and everything else as "used". However, I've never used those descriptors to describe artwork and I am curious as to what others are doing.

TIA
I'd do the same thing you are doing. I'm also list it as mint / near mint if that is the condition.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
stuckeyc
Art Expert

Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:22 pm

Yeah all the new ebay item descriptions are super annoying. Some of them don't even apply to the item being listed. Really do make it harder and harder to stay with them and now the fees are up near 13% don't think the eyeballs are there any more either. I think it's near finito as an online marketplace
solepole
Art Connoisseur

Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:34 pm

stuckeyc wrote:
Yeah all the new ebay item descriptions are super annoying. Some of them don't even apply to the item being listed. Really do make it harder and harder to stay with them and now the fees are up near 13% don't think the eyeballs are there any more either. I think it's near finito as an online marketplace
I sold a piece on ebay recently for $1,800. They hit me with 13% fees. I called them and essentially said "wtf? Your fees table shows art as being only a 5% fee." The guy on the phone said, "you're right, sorry about that." And he immediately refunded me the difference.

eBay has been f*cking a lot of people with incorrect fees. I happen to manage my company's ecommerce department and we noticed we were getting hit with fees higher than normal. We reached out and they claimed their was a "known" glitch in their system and they refunded us thousands of dollars in overcharged fees. Seems like a freaking scam and lawsuit to me, but as long as I get my money back, that's all I care about.

Figured I would share my experience based on your last comment.
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:42 pm

solepole wrote:
stuckeyc wrote:
I sold a piece on ebay recently for $1,800. They hit me with 13% fees. I called them and essentially said "wtf? Your fees table shows art as being only a 5% fee." The guy on the phone said, "you're right, sorry about that." And he immediately refunded me the difference.

eBay has been f*cking a lot of people with incorrect fees. I happen to manage my company's ecommerce department and we noticed we were getting hit with fees higher than normal. We reached out and they claimed their was a "known" glitch in their system and they refunded us thousands of dollars in overcharged fees. Seems like a freaking scam and lawsuit to me, but as long as I get my money back, that's all I care about.

Link to this schedule that shows 5% fees for art?
xangelx
Art Expert

Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:31 pm

ygolohcysp wrote:
solepole wrote:
stuckeyc wrote:

Only fee schedule I found refers specifically to NFT's. For shits and giggles I did a chat with CS to see what they'd say and they said it was for NFT's only...this is the part in the schedule:

5% on total amount of the sale

Art > Art NFTs

Select Collectibles categories:

Emerging NFTs
Non-Sport Trading Cards > Non-Sport Trading Card NFTs
"If I could fly high above the world, would I see a bunch of living dots spell the word stupidity" - Bad Religion
solepole
Art Connoisseur

Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:11 pm

xangelx wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:31 pm
ygolohcysp wrote:
solepole wrote:
stuckeyc wrote:

Only fee schedule I found refers specifically to NFT's. For shits and giggles I did a chat with CS to see what they'd say and they said it was for NFT's only...this is the part in the schedule:

5% on total amount of the sale

Art > Art NFTs

Select Collectibles categories:

Emerging NFTs
Non-Sport Trading Cards > Non-Sport Trading Card NFTs
I believe that is just the category for “art” in general and they are stating it includes NFT’s. Because what other category listed would art fall into?

When I told eBay CS it should be 5% they looked at my listing and immediately agreed. No pushback at all.

But I could be wrong…
BENYOUNG20
Art Expert

Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:24 am

You got an awesome customer service person then as that is not the correct percentage.
turnJBup
Art Freak

Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:43 am

Ho Lee fudge!
5%?
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:53 am

Luls.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:21 am

Haha right I was definitely ready to call and cash in, what a score :clap:

fudge I might just try
turnJBup
Art Freak

Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:48 pm

This is a notice to inform you that we will be debiting $1.05 from your bank account ending in 000 to cover the outstanding fees and expenses.
We will process this transaction within 3 business days. If your pending and available funds become sufficient to cover any or all of this amount before you are charged, we will debit your pending and available funds and then deduct the remaining amount from your bank account. If you prefer a different payment method, you can update your payment preferences.

Did you guys get an email like this today?
cotis
Art Expert

Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:27 am

sounds like you fell for one of the extended warranty scams on the phone once or twice
turnJBup
Art Freak

Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:33 pm

Nope.
My phone is set to silence unknown callers not on my list.
It’s dreamy.
captainhavoc
Art Expert

Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:46 pm

Anyone else noticed these ebay buyers that are proxy shipping companies, usually based on the west coast in CA or OR? Google their shipping address and it's some warehouse and usually some stories from ebay sellers saying don't deal with them. I had one CC chargeback me, claiming they didn't recognize the order and ebay is asking me to send proof the order was delivered, which was just plugging in the tracking number again. Seller's account is now listed as: No longer a registered user. I don't even know why people use them in the first place, are they undercutting ebay GSP that much?

So for the record If you have a buyer asking you to ship to NE15617 / 15617 NE Airport Way Portland OR I would think twice about doing it. It'll probably be a $$$ print too so don't gamble with shippers.
Ayes wrote:Maybe all these dates who've been turning you down see you in your yard hurling cat food and blowing weed smoke at your neighbor's pets.
stuckeyc
Art Expert

Thu May 05, 2022 10:26 am

Ebay is pretty much dead for the casual seller. Views on all my listings have dropped from 100s to single digits since they started in with their overly specific item descriptions and exorbitant promoted listing fees. I am certain they suppress listings that don't buy into that and it's a roll of the dice to actually find stuff with their search. Did an experiment yesterday did the same search 5 different times and results were different every time. It's terrible
Last edited by stuckeyc on Thu May 05, 2022 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.