The Ebay Advice Column

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
Skrilly
Art Expert

Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:02 pm

bigmuls wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:57 pm
I'm signed up for the Global Shipping Program, but when I sell internationally, the shipping label and shipping charges are still the same, i.e. I still am sending it directly to the buyer. Any idea why it's not taking effect for me?

Certain countries are excluded from GSP.
Count
Art Expert

Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:06 am

So I purchased a fairly high value print on eBay ($800+). Seller shipped the print without kraft paper - just rolled the print with tissue inside and slid it into the tube. Rolled print was also sliding in the tube. I was expecting a banged up print when I opened it. By a Christmas miracle, there was no damage to the ends of the print. However, there were 3 creases on the side of the print - nothing major as the creases do not extend to the printed surface, but still should have been disclosed as they were noticeable. Contacted seller with the suggestion that he propose a small discount, but he claims they were not there when packed, and in any event did not diminish the value of the print.

The thing is, I still want to keep the print as I got a good deal on the auction. Should I let this slide, or take it up with eBay? Will eBay even consider refunding me a portion of the price as a result of the creases?
Jpup
Art Connoisseur

Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:06 am

Count wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:06 am
So I purchased a fairly high value print on eBay ($800+). Seller shipped the print without kraft paper - just rolled the print with tissue inside and slid it into the tube. Rolled print was also sliding in the tube. I was expecting a banged up print when I opened it. By a Christmas miracle, there was no damage to the ends of the print. However, there were 3 creases on the side of the print - nothing major as the creases do not extend to the printed surface, but still should have been disclosed as they were noticeable. Contacted seller with the suggestion that he propose a small discount, but he claims they were not there when packed, and in any event did not diminish the value of the print.

The thing is, I still want to keep the print as I got a good deal on the auction. Should I let this slide, or take it up with eBay? Will eBay even consider refunding me a portion of the price as a result of the creases?
If the item arrives and it is not in the condition stated on Ebay you are covered by PayPal buyer protection... I would contact the seller again thru Ebay messages so its on file and politely ask for a partial refund... Have a dollar amount in the message that you would be happy with as a partial refund. If the seller will not cooperate and issue partial refund then kindly message them back you will unfortunately be filing a PayPal claim. Once you file a claim PayPal will put a hold on the full auction amount of your purchase on the sellers account. Most sellers know that this will happen and some may just give you the partial refund even after refusing just to avoid the headache of a PayPal claim.
jjttdw
Art Expert

Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:08 am

Count...after a few months in an itoya do you think the creases will go away? I'm not sure eBay or PayPal are in the business of determining the size of a partial refund. If so then I'd drop it. If you got a good deal the seller may know that and may decide to just refund the total amount and ask for the print back. Ask yourself, would you have bought at the closing price with the creases?

I bought a recent Obey print for $150 print off eBay from a sneaker dude. He never opened the tube, I could tell because of the tape on the ends. Inside the tube, Obey had folded the tape over to make it easier to untape the roll but had folded too much over so only 1/4" was holding the paper on the folded side. It came loose and the the print slid with significant damage to two sides. I requested a refund and send pics of the damage. Seller said he wouldn't accept a return but would offer a $25 credit. Cute, right? As soon as I was allowed I opened a case and eBay found in my favor in 7 minutes.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
Count
Art Expert

Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:34 pm

Thanks guys for the input.

Yeah this dude sounds like someone who knows next to nothing about prints. Pretty sure it came in the same tube and it still had the POW tissue. My guess is he only took it out for pictures, and because the print had been rolled up for years, holding down the sides for pictures caused the creases to form. By far the worst packaging job I’ve seen having been in this hobby for 7 years.

Honestly, I would have still got it at that price even with the creases. The creases won’t go away or spoon out, but the price was a steal. Last thing I want is to open up a dispute and seller decides to issue a full refund. Will probably engage him again to see if he will do a partial refund, then let it go if he refuses to budge. I’ll just give him a negative review - the least I could do to warn others in case he puts up other prints for sale.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:42 pm

What is the print?
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
lebantz
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:09 pm

Be like Nathan, he's smart and masked out the order number.

eBay Pro Flipper

If anyone missed out ask Marq about nathanoloyede haha.
guryter
Art Expert

Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:50 am

Dude missed the order number in the subject line tho, 24217.

Not so pro flipper.
Stingers wrote:If you can't get it up eat less fudge, excersise and stop being a kitten.
john38103 wrote:All gin every thing. drymount all you hoes.
Relax, I honestly don't give a fudge.
davemfan
Art Expert

Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:43 am

Need some advice on what to do here. I bought an item and want to return it because the seller sent the wrong thing to me. In ebay messages he has agreed on a return and stated he will pay for return shipping. I then opened a return case through ebay so we could proceed. I get an email (from ebay) stating he has agreed to the return. I get a second email (from ebay) with the subject "The seller can't send a return shipping label" and this was the body of the email:

"Contact the seller

Hi Justin,

Seller xxxxxx let us know that they can't buy a return shipping label for you to use for (item).
The seller is still responsible for return shipping costs, so contact them to arrange return shipping."

What the drymount is going on here? eBay's auto generated email is contradictory. If the seller IS responsible for return shipping why are they allowed to opt out of providing the label?

How should i proceed here?
ImageImageImage
jjttdw
Art Expert

Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:52 pm

So what the hell is up with eBay charging sales tax?
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:00 am

Started a few months ago jj. Now you have to, or really should, put in the listing that sales tax is the buyer's responsibility.

You guys ever sell something and then 3-6 weeks later have the buyer open a Did not receive case, so you look up the tracking and see that it was indeed delivered. Post the tracking # and then the buyer just cancels the case? Happens to me a few times a year and I swear it's because I don't post the tracking # for every sale and some people are just testing to see if they can get the item for free. Scammers! Always save your receipts!!
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:03 am

jjttdw wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:52 pm
So what the hell is up with eBay charging sales tax?
For someone who posts in the politics thread so much ya obvs ain't been paying attention to the important fudge.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
jjttdw
Art Expert

Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:15 am

I've never been hit before and I got hit twice in two days. One was in state which I get and the other was from Connecticut but I thought it would get a pass since I don't live there. I just sold something that wasnt dinged.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:22 am

You're not getting "hit". the buyer is. Ebay collects it and remits for ya. If ya sold something that wasn't "dinged" it was probably to one of the dozen or so states that aren't requiring sales tax to be collected on internet transactions (yet).

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees- ... es?id=4121
davemfan
Art Expert

Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:50 pm

earlgreytoast wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:00 am
You guys ever sell something and then 3-6 weeks later have the buyer open a Did not receive case, so you look up the tracking and see that it was indeed delivered. Post the tracking # and then the buyer just cancels the case? Happens to me a few times a year and I swear it's because I don't post the tracking # for every sale and some people are just testing to see if they can get the item for free. Scammers! Always save your receipts!!
just always purchase postage through ebay/paypal and then you don't have to worry. it automatically uploads it for you every time.
ImageImageImage