The Ebay Advice Column

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:12 am

Been doing it for years. 1 package in 5 years, not bad. I live in a pretty good community. Time to rethink it though, unfortunately.
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
Mapman
Art Expert

Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:16 am

Regarding shipping international FOR ME PERSONALLY, I don't do it because it's a HUGE inconvenience to me in regards to getting the packages to the PO. I have a very small window to get into the PO in person due to my commute, so it's a pain in the ass. I guess it makes sense if I am selling something worth big bucks, but I don't sell anything THAT high valued that it makes it worth it.

As for leaving packages, even though I'm in a good neighborhood, I still wouldn't do it, it's the PO drop box or a hand off to my carrier or in the PO itself!

I also just sold something that makes no sense, buyer could have saved at minimum $10-20 with another auction just using the BIN since the other one had free shipping, I accepted his offer as fast as I could when i saw it so he couldn't change his mind!
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:24 am

Majority of my stuff goes in a blue bin or drop box. Tubes over 24" don't fit in the drop box though. Same with boxes over 16" If of low value, I schedule a pickup.

The one potentially stolen was one of the new Large Flat Rate Boxes (board game size).

If you have low value items and can fit them in a drop bin or blue box, open up to international shipping. You might be pleasantly surprised. I would exclude Brazil though.
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
mattlew69
Art Expert

Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:27 am

halftonegraphics wrote:Not to get off topic, but just an FYI, dealing with a new situation here.

Had a package potentially stolen off of my doorstep yesterday. It was set for a pickup from USPS. My carrier kindly let me know it was not there when they came to pick it up. With USPS, when scheduling a pickup, you waive their responsibility for the package if it is stolen prior to pickup.

I insure through eBay/ShipCover though. After speaking with them, I just found out that the are in a similar boat. The item is required to have at least one scan on it to show it was in transit.

Sucky situation. Cost of convenience, I guess. Thankfully, a replaceable product.
You don't have the package, and you still had to pay for shipping and insurance?

Well, I guess you could always cancel the shipping label within 24 hours.

That sucks. I always take my packages in, to make sure they get scanned. But then again, I am a worrier and I don't trust my mail delivery person one bit!

I think she smokes crack.

Not that its a bad thing, she's fast as hell, but a little scatter-brained..... :D
bigmuls
Art Expert

Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:30 am

halftonegraphics wrote: I would exclude Brazil though.
Why Brazil? I don't exclude any countries, but have never sold anything to someone in Brazil. Are there other countries worth excluding?
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:31 am

It's past 24 hours. Plus, I am hoping that by chance another carrier snagged it. I contacted the customer and let them know of the situation. Hoping for the best and hoping that something shows up on the DC number this weekend. If not, shipping another one out.

1xRun Referral
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:34 am

bigmuls wrote:
halftonegraphics wrote: I would exclude Brazil though.
Why Brazil? I don't exclude any countries, but have never sold anything to someone in Brazil. Are there other countries worth excluding?
Brazil is the worst country for postal systems. Months ago their whole system went on strike. Has yet to be the same. Major backlog. Average delivery time for items sent there was 60+ days. That was for First Class and Priority, at least. The customers are great. And I hate to cut them off, but it's almost a guaranteed lost cause. If the customer is understanding and willing to wait, then go right ahead. I insure everything I ship there. And now, if of any major value and able to fit in a FRE, it goes via Express FRE.

France, Italy and Spain can be a hassle as well. Italy in particular. I used to have all four as exempts. Just Brazil right now.

As an FYI, you can follow Mail Service Updates for various countries here.. http://about.usps.com/news/service-alerts/welcome.htm

It can be a huge help if you have an international customer asking why their package has yet to be delivered. Sometimes, you may find something.

1xRun Referral
mattlew69
Art Expert

Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:57 am

I am adding Spain to my list of countries not to ship to.

I sent a package there in April, with Express delivery, fully insured for $475. The Ebay buyer doesn't want to pay the fees and taxes (I find this out waaaay after the fact), so it sits there. It eventually gets shipped back to me, 2 months later. The buyer never even contacted me to state the issue. Mind you, I have been trying to contact the buyer the whole time, letting him know the post office had his package, if he received it, etc. Sometimes I think there is a language barrier.

Either way, no replies and no refund requested. Weird. If you were the buyer, wouldnt you want a refund???

To top it all off, the package came back damaged. Now I have been waiting another 2-3 weeks to get that sorted out thru USPS. Which seems to be taking forever.

Ugh.

Halftone, I always appreciate your ebay responses. You seem to be the only one that doesn't mind explaining situations to the ebay illiterate, like me!
Mapman
Art Expert

Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:11 pm

If I do open up my auctions to international buyers, it'll probably only be to English speaking countries and MAYBE Germany and the Scandinavian countries. But I've heard too many horror stories in regards to Spain, Italy and France to chance it. Funny thing is, I've shipped to Romania via a message board deal, and had no problems, but it was with someone I trusted and could communicate in English very well.

I might also open it to Japan, but I've never actually shipped their direct, so it makes me nervous.

It really does come down to the ability to communicate and that is a big deal to me. I like to keep my buyer in the loop and if they are unresponsive or can't understand what I am telling them or can't communicate to me very well, it just becomes a big frustrating mess!
mattlew69
Art Expert

Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:18 pm

Mapman wrote:It really does come down to the ability to communicate and that is a big deal to me. I like to keep my buyer in the loop and if they are unresponsive or can't understand what I am telling them or can't communicate to me very well, it just becomes a big frustrating mess!
QFT

I feel communication is key.

Talk about communication, half of the American buyers I deal with, cant even leave a simple feedback or just say "thank you". Even after I have saved them money on shipping, posted package next day, thrown in a free gift, etc.

People are ungrateful and lazy.
choke
Art Expert

Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:08 pm

Anyone ever sell anything extremely heavy on ebay? Something like a car or large collection of something that couldn't just easily be shipped UPS/USPS/FedEx? I have an item that a buyer has offered to take care of all shipping on. He's willing to pay via paypal, has great feedback and plenty of it, and seems trustworthy, but how do I make sure I'm covered if he later wants to file a claim?

I've sold my fair share of things on ebay but never anything that required some sort of shipping service.

Thanks in advance
dangerboy
Flipper

Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:38 pm

choke wrote:Anyone ever sell anything extremely heavy on ebay? Something like a car or large collection of something that couldn't just easily be shipped UPS/USPS/FedEx? I have an item that a buyer has offered to take care of all shipping on. He's willing to pay via paypal, has great feedback and plenty of it, and seems trustworthy, but how do I make sure I'm covered if he later wants to file a claim?

I've sold my fair share of things on ebay but never anything that required some sort of shipping service.

Thanks in advance
freight shipping can be done with tracking. really, i think that's all you need...enough tracking/signature confirmation to cover the seller protection requirements. doesn't have to be ups or usps or fedex, it could just as easily be fedex freight (yes, it exists), or some other private company like roadway or yellow or what have you...
morecoffee wrote:
itsdug wrote:what does mint with pin holes mean?!
Consider it perfect and pure...like a virgin who loves ass play and sucking the clown.
pearlybaker wrote:This place is a magnet for retards with some sort of psychosis.
choke
Art Expert

Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:03 pm

dangerboy wrote:
choke wrote:Anyone ever sell anything extremely heavy on ebay? Something like a car or large collection of something that couldn't just easily be shipped UPS/USPS/FedEx? I have an item that a buyer has offered to take care of all shipping on. He's willing to pay via paypal, has great feedback and plenty of it, and seems trustworthy, but how do I make sure I'm covered if he later wants to file a claim?

Thanks in advance
freight shipping can be done with tracking. really, i think that's all you need...enough tracking/signature confirmation to cover the seller protection requirements. doesn't have to be ups or usps or fedex, it could just as easily be fedex freight (yes, it exists), or some other private company like roadway or yellow or what have you...
Thanks. I guess I'll just need to ensure the company he's suggesting to provide the delivery is reputable and offers tracking and hopefully insurance.

I dont know why but I was thinking tracking wouldn't be so easy.
dangerboy
Flipper

Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:31 pm

there will likely be a bill of lading or packing list involved, and it will likely have a place for you to sign off on the fact that it's not damaged and you accept it. most freight requires a signature by somebody, and usually the driver won't drop the fudge/leave without having someone sign. they're not taking any chances on anyone claiming misdelivery on some pallet full of computers, or leaving it there not signed for and then having someone file a stolen/damaged claim later because they didn't sign to accept cuz it comes out of their paycheck. i'm sure in the scheme of things signature confirmation, if extra, is negligible. and i'm betting they're fully prepared on the insurance, too, as they likely ship expensive items all the time.
morecoffee wrote:
itsdug wrote:what does mint with pin holes mean?!
Consider it perfect and pure...like a virgin who loves ass play and sucking the clown.
pearlybaker wrote:This place is a magnet for retards with some sort of psychosis.
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:25 pm

Your other option is to see if his freight company will do cash upon pickup. That way you don't have to worry about PayPal requirements. Freight company arrived, they give you cash, you give them the good, and done.

1xRun Referral