The Ebay Advice Column

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
soupysound
EB Team

Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:08 am

so ticked about ebay... its almost worth shutting down international shipping options at this point because it is such a mess.

shipped an international package may 4th. gets "stuck" in transit. buyer opens a case in june. package starts moving all the way to the local post office of his EU country where it sits on july 6th. he asked ebay to step in and they just refunded him immediately. i asked for him to reach out to his post office as it had cleared customs (assuming he paid the taxes). complete :hanging:
davemfan
Art Expert

Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:57 am

soupysound wrote:
so ticked about ebay... its almost worth shutting down international shipping options at this point because it is such a mess.

shipped an international package may 4th. gets "stuck" in transit. buyer opens a case in june. package starts moving all the way to the local post office of his EU country where it sits on july 6th. he asked ebay to step in and they just refunded him immediately. i asked for him to reach out to his post office as it had cleared customs (assuming he paid the taxes). complete :hanging:
Do you not use the GSP? That's the only way i ship overseas through ebay. I know it's more for the buyer but if they want what you got they'll pay for it. This leaves you off the hook once ebay receives it at their shipping facility or whatever in the US.
ImageImageImage
Kramerica
Art Freak

Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:40 am

davemfan wrote:
soupysound wrote:

Do you not use the GSP? That's the only way i ship overseas through ebay. I know it's more for the buyer but if they want what you got they'll pay for it. This leaves you off the hook once ebay receives it at their shipping facility or whatever in the US.
Yup. Don't have to deal with any of that nonsense and I have actually had great success when there are issues, which in my experience is rare. I have never had to go out of pocket when the buyer has a problem.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
soupysound
EB Team

Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:21 am

i have only rarely used the ebay intl standard shipping and never used GSP. never had any issues until we entered into the covid era. international shipping has been a mess. in the process of of working through a claim for a couple Gs due to a lost package in the EU on top of this more recent situation.
nanosect
New User

Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:24 am

eBay is THE SKETCHIEST way to sell prints. I will buy prints RARELY from there, but to sell them....well, you're gonna have some snob that's going to go out his way to find something wrong with the print and demand they get this grail for 25% of the selling price, which most times puts you in a position to where you are at the mercy of their bullshit because this could affect your seller score and reputation with some whackAF review.

IF YOU DO....here is what I personally recommend:

Listed as pre-owned.

Do not offer returns (and make sure that's listed in the post).

Make a disclaimer in your listing of the life it has lived: If it has been in your flat, tell them that. If it's been left in a tube for a year because you don't know how to store prints (don't let the n00b picture fool you...been in this game for almost 5 years now lol) let them know that (and price it well explaining their will be an extended flattening time). If it has been put on display previously, tell them this. I say this because your honesty in your listing will be the little protection you have of "I already mentioned this prior to sale" vs PP or eBay support coming at you with "well, being this wasn't mentioned in the listing you deceived the buyer"

List the poster "as is"

Take good photos of all the corners

DO NOT SELL INTERNATIONALLY. THIS IS A MAJOR ONE. TOO MANY VARIABLES BEYOND YOUR CONTROL.
I get it, that sucks for our friends across the pond....but that's why they should be using EB to pursue their prints. Eliminate eBay as the middle man because by the time you get your shipping, ebay fees and even if you manage to get it to them safely....you're more than likely to take a financial loss on your sale far beyond what you couldve had you sold it CONUS.
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:25 am

soupysound wrote:
i have only rarely used the ebay intl standard shipping and never used GSP. never had any issues until we entered into the covid era. international shipping has been a mess. in the process of of working through a claim for a couple Gs due to a lost package in the EU on top of this more recent situation.
GSP for the win.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:21 pm

nanosect wrote:
eBay is THE SKETCHIEST way to sell prints. I will buy prints RARELY from there, but to sell them....well, you're gonna have some snob that's going to go out his way to find something wrong with the print and demand they get this grail for 25% of the selling price, which most times puts you in a position to where you are at the mercy of their bullshit because this could affect your seller score and reputation with some whackAF review.

Listed as pre-owned.

Make a disclaimer in your listing of the life it has lived: If it has been in your flat, tell them that. If it's been left in a tube for a year because you don't know how to store prints (don't let the n00b picture fool you...been in this game for almost 5 years now lol) let them know that (and price it well explaining their will be an extended flattening time). If it has been put on display previously, tell them this. I say this because your honesty in your listing will be the little protection you have of "I already mentioned this prior to sale" vs PP or eBay support coming at you with "well, being this wasn't mentioned in the listing you deceived the buyer"

List the poster "as is"

DO NOT SELL INTERNATIONALLY. THIS IS A MAJOR ONE. TOO MANY VARIABLES BEYOND YOUR CONTROL.
I get it, that sucks for our friends across the pond....but that's why they should be using EB to pursue their prints. Eliminate eBay as the middle man because by the time you get your shipping, ebay fees and even if you manage to get it to them safely....you're more than likely to take a financial loss on your sale far beyond what you couldve had you sold it CONUS.
Luls.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
haven
Art Expert

Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:20 pm

"Do not offer returns (and make sure that's listed in the post)."

This is meaningless if the buyer files a claim, which they'll do if you don't let them return it.
papaver
Tech Team Member

Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:40 pm

nanosect wrote:

Listed as pre-owned.

List the poster "as is"

so let me guess you buy and sell on collectionzzz? hows that working out for ya?
papaver
Tech Team Member

Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:41 pm

davemfan wrote:
soupysound wrote:

agreed. nothing better than seeing a refund request not affect you when a package doesn't arrive as expected.
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:08 pm

papaver wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:40 pm
so let me guess you buy and sell on collectionzzz? hows that working out for ya?
Ah man this made me laugh a lot 😂
xangelx
Art Expert

Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:56 pm

Anyone have experience in filing a claim for a Ebay global shipping item?

Shipped a tube to the UK on 7/14, got to the ebay hub on 7/18 and hasn't move since. Found a page within Ebay to file claims for lost items but only allows up to the $100 included insurance, (This was for $270), there is no option for added insurance when sending via Global shipping. I was under the impression that if it got to their hub then it's on them if it gets lost/damaged.

And found this elsewhere on eBay:

“You aren't responsible for item loss or damage that occurs after the item is forwarded by the US shipping center. Once an item has been forwarded by the US shipping center, you won't be responsible for refunding the buyer if an eBay Money Back Guarantee or PayPal Purchase Protection case is filed against you for one of the following reasons:
• A buyer claims an item isn't received or
• A package is damaged in transit”

Should the buyer file a claim through eBay specifying this was a GSP shipment? So they should be taking care of it?
"If I could fly high above the world, would I see a bunch of living dots spell the word stupidity" - Bad Religion
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:15 pm

I would call eBay and explain the situation. If the buyer opens a claim on their country's ebay site version it gets more annoying to deal with. But if you are proactive they should be able to open and close a case for you where the buyer gets refunded and you keep the payment you've already received.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:54 pm

ygolohcysp wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:25 am
soupysound wrote:
GSP for the win.
Apparently only if yer fudge is under $2500. Looks like they don't allow it to be used for anything over dat amount.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
cotis
Art Expert

Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:01 pm

lanro_9514

add to blocklist. sent an offer, bought an item, then never paid. final value credit posted this morning.

buyer never replied.