The Ebay Advice Column

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
User avatar
guryter
Art Expert
Posts: 3241
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:44 pm

Tue May 01, 2018 10:21 am

misterwhisper wrote:
jjttdw wrote:
RiotAct wrote:
guryter wrote:Don't message sellers asking for a print's number. Let it be a surprise, there are so few of those in life.
yeah that’s kind of strange, unless the print is part of a set and the buyer is shooting for matching #s or something
I don't get why people hide the number on prints that are years old. 2005 Obey....hidden number.
I always hide them because I've had other sellers "borrow" my photos for their listings before, and once I got a post-purchase question from a buyer who'd bought a 5-year old print from me and then noticed the same-number print apparently sold by another seller. Fortunately I had the original invoice and sent it to him, but I could see some potential for provenance claims otherwise.
Pretty much same reasoning here. Also better than text boxing my pictures with my ebay handle old school style.
Stingers wrote:If you can't get it up eat less fudge, excersise and stop being a kitten.
john38103 wrote:All gin every thing. drymount all you hoes.
Relax, I honestly don't give a fudge.
User avatar
LeeKaye
Art Expert
Posts: 1924
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:50 am

Wed May 02, 2018 1:15 am

PLUSH wrote:Guy claims he never received notice that his $1600 prints were waiting. On USPS end it says that delivery attempts were made

Several of these
Attempted Delivery Abroad

On the Parcel Force site it says this:
Customs charges raised
Revised Customs charges raised
Awaiting payment of customs charges
Returned to sender - Customs charges unpaid

Why would they raise custom charges?

I guess he just didn't want to pay?

OF course he filed PP claim as item not received. :hanging: :hanging: :hanging:

Yep. In the UK 1600 would be a LOT of charges too. Dunno about elsewhere but over here the buyer would fudge their pants.
pvecchi
Art Expert
Posts: 1704
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am

Wed May 02, 2018 6:33 am

earlgreytoast wrote:
soupysound wrote:i just recently noticed the final value fee assessed is only on the purchase price of an item that offers free US shipping... no fee is assessed on the INTL shipping portion if it was an INTL buyer. wonder if that is an oversight or intentional. not a huge deal, but just an anomaly.
Not an anomaly; this is why some folks try to charge a very small amount for an item and a ridiculously high shipping charge.

eBay takes their cut from domestic shipping (has for many years). Just not anything above that domestic charge for international shipping (Not sure when this started but it was fairey recent, to answer the original question posted)
IWish
Art Expert
Posts: 9810
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 12:23 am

Wed May 02, 2018 7:51 am

ebay taking a cut from shipping has always bugged me. I live in a state where shipping charges, (if charged at cost), is not taxable-providing it's listed separately on the invoice. Because of this - it bugs the fudge out of me that ebay takes a cut. Money hungry bastards.

Although shipping is non-taxable in my state, handling charges are taxable.

In states where it's required to pay tax on shipping - ebay is also getting a cut on that tax amount. That's just BS. I've often wondered about the legalities of ebay taking a cut on shipping charges that have been taxed.
User avatar
Kramerica
Art Freak
Posts: 13765
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:37 am
Location: Corner of 1st & 1st

Wed May 02, 2018 9:16 am

Why would legality be an issue? They are a private company that takes a cut for the use of their website/service. It has nothing to do with state taxes. The reason they charge fees on shipping is so people don't make $.99 listings with $250 shipping charge.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
User avatar
cotis
Art Expert
Posts: 4635
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:03 pm
Location: USA

Wed May 02, 2018 9:39 am

I don't like it, therefore it is illegal!
IWish
Art Expert
Posts: 9810
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 12:23 am

Wed May 02, 2018 9:50 am

Kramerica wrote:Why would legality be an issue? They are a private company that takes a cut for the use of their website/service. It has nothing to do with state taxes. The reason they charge fees on shipping is so people don't make $.99 listings with $250 shipping charge.
I know it has nothing to do with state taxes. It's the principle...money hungry ebay. I get it...the shipping charge vs low listings.
cotis wrote:I don't like it, therefore it is illegal!
I have you foed, but displayed your post to tell you to drymount off. Who, around here, doesn't have their own pet peeves? I don't need your permission to post my dislike for something, asshole.

Bye.
User avatar
cotis
Art Expert
Posts: 4635
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:03 pm
Location: USA

Wed May 02, 2018 9:59 am

Image
pvecchi
Art Expert
Posts: 1704
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am

Wed May 02, 2018 1:57 pm

IWish wrote:ebay taking a cut from shipping has always bugged me. I live in a state where shipping charges, (if charged at cost), is not taxable-providing it's listed separately on the invoice. Because of this - it bugs the fudge out of me that ebay takes a cut. Money hungry bastards.

Although shipping is non-taxable in my state, handling charges are taxable.

In states where it's required to pay tax on shipping - ebay is also getting a cut on that tax amount. That's just BS. I've often wondered about the legalities of ebay taking a cut on shipping charges that have been taxed.

In most states you report the income you get on shipping and deduct the cost of the shipping (including and eBay fees assessed). If there is a profit, you pay taxes on that profit. I know many people don’t do this but it’s kinda what you are supposed to do, especially if you sell anything for a profit.

The whole state sales taxes / use taxes is reduculous in most states. I wish there was a better way to handle those
IWish
Art Expert
Posts: 9810
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 12:23 am

Wed May 02, 2018 2:28 pm

I deduct shipping and fees; however, when the tax man reviews the business portion of my taxes, (bag sales), he likely responds with a hearty laugh. On my '17 filing, I was $46 over the minimum amount to claim it as income. Because of that $46, I had to pay $37 in taxes. I know...$37 isn't a lot - going through a tough time, right now.
User avatar
ciphe
Art Expert
Posts: 1318
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:51 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Wed May 02, 2018 2:33 pm

IWish wrote:I deduct shipping and fees; however, when the tax man reviews the business portion of my taxes, (bag sales), he likely responds with a hearty laugh. On my '17 filing, I was $46 over the minimum amount to claim it as income. Because of that $46, I had to pay $37 in taxes. I know...$37 isn't a lot - going through a tough time, right now.
isn't it 200 transactions or $20,000 through paypal before you have to file? you sell that many bags? :lol:
IWish
Art Expert
Posts: 9810
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 12:23 am

Wed May 02, 2018 2:36 pm

I read the IRS instructions relating to self-employment claims the minimum is $500. I made $546.

I have no idea about the $20k paypal information. Sounds a bit off, to me. Do you think the IRS will let folks slide from paying income taxes on that amount? I don't. I'm no accountant...something tells me that your information is incorrect.
Last edited by IWish on Wed May 02, 2018 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much
Posts: 52403
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:00 am
Location: Expresso Beans

Wed May 02, 2018 2:37 pm

ciphe wrote:
IWish wrote:I deduct shipping and fees; however, when the tax man reviews the business portion of my taxes, (bag sales), he likely responds with a hearty laugh. On my '17 filing, I was $46 over the minimum amount to claim it as income. Because of that $46, I had to pay $37 in taxes. I know...$37 isn't a lot - going through a tough time, right now.
isn't it 200 transactions or $20,000 through paypal before you have to file? you sell that many bags? :lol:
200 transactions AND 20k, but that's just before ya get 1099'd. Everyone is supposed to file if income is made even if ya don't get the 1099. I'd imagine most here don't.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
IWish
Art Expert
Posts: 9810
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 12:23 am

Wed May 02, 2018 2:49 pm

Codeblue wrote:200 transactions AND 20k, but that's just before ya get 1099'd. Everyone is supposed to file if income is made even if ya don't get the 1099. I'd imagine most here don't.
Claiming paypal income is on the honor system, but if IRS comes up with a way to track paypal user income(s) for tax purposes... you can bet that they will investigate prior years, too. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
pvecchi
Art Expert
Posts: 1704
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am

Wed May 02, 2018 2:54 pm

Codeblue is correct as usual. You won't get 1099'd until those thresholds are met, but you are still liable for reporting profits.
Basically it means if you want to sell, you should be maintaining an inventory and keeping track of purchases/sales/costs/receipts, ect.
Also (at least in my state) if you buy stuff for personal use you should be paying sales/use tax every year as well (unless the seller collects this tax for you)
My parents worked for the IRS so I've had it drilled into me to do these things, but my guess is most people here don't bother
Post Reply