The Ebay Advice Column

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
pvecchi
Art Expert

Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:08 am

Thinking about opening a basic store and just wondering what people’s experiences are regarding it
I usually list ~125-150 Fixed Price Items per month and average ~$2000 in sales a month

Seems like savings from opening a store should cover the store fees, but I’m wondering if it messes with visibility or if there are other hidden fees people have run into

Any advice or comments / opinions / experience would be appreciated

Thanks Guys
guryter
Art Expert

Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:17 pm

tourist504 wrote:Vinyl collectors can be real dipshits. And the worst part is most of them are relatively new to the hobby so they have unreasonable expectations and a newfound sense of entitlement.
Regardless of the item it will always be the sellers responsibility to get it into the hands of the buyer as it is shown in the listing.

Poor packing looks to be the reason for the "damage" in this case. Make the dude whole through the $10 he originally asked for and you'll prob be alright. Not worth the high ground for $5 more, imo.
Stingers wrote:If you can't get it up eat less fudge, excersise and stop being a kitten.
john38103 wrote:All gin every thing. drymount all you hoes.
Relax, I honestly don't give a fudge.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:26 pm

Srsly. Duke is a bit of a baller anyway.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
Cbjornson
Art Expert

Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:58 pm

$5 over a potential negative or neutral feedback? I'd straighten it out and move on with my life.
maden wrote:Never apologize on the internet.
gonzo303 wrote:This is Gonzos mom
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:44 pm

pvecchi wrote:Thinking about opening a basic store and just wondering what people’s experiences are regarding it
I usually list ~125-150 Fixed Price Items per month and average ~$2000 in sales a month

Seems like savings from opening a store should cover the store fees, but I’m wondering if it messes with visibility or if there are other hidden fees people have run into

Thanks Guys

go for the store. it will help. it pushes your visibility and you also get credits for eBay shipping materials. if you are doing 7 day listings, it may help save fees. if you do good til canceled listings, it may not save you as much.

eBay plays a lot of games these days with visibility. its sad.
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
pvecchi
Art Expert

Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:04 pm

halftonegraphics wrote:
pvecchi wrote:Thinking about opening a basic store and just wondering what people’s experiences are regarding it

Thanks Guys

go for the store. it will help. it pushes your visibility and you also get credits for eBay shipping materials. if you are doing 7 day listings, it may help save fees. if you do good til canceled listings, it may not save you as much.

eBay plays a lot of games these days with visibility. its sad.
Thanks for the input halftone. I’ve held off in the past but am leaning towards doing it this time around. I agree, the visibility games eBay plays is pretty ridiculous lately but I guess many of the platforms do the same thing.

Thanks again :pint:
pvecchi
Art Expert

Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:21 pm

Block this guy. Running a scam
1paulgregory2
RiotAct
EB Team

Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:36 pm

pvecchi wrote:Block this guy. Running a scam
1paulgregory2
Uh oh. Details?
pvecchi
Art Expert

Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:50 pm

RiotAct wrote:
pvecchi wrote:Block this guy. Running a scam
1paulgregory2
Uh oh. Details?
If you are interested pm me and I can send the deets. He was running a few scams in his attempt, aimed at me the seller and one against the artist of the piece he was trying to buy from me as well. Even contacted eBay to obtain my info and tried to continue through phone texts. When I refunded his payment and wouldn’t fall for it he started threatening “I will make sure I send a scathing eBay review and horrible yelp report” lol
soupysound
EB Team

Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:51 pm

i really enjoy interested buyer PMs that tell me what my prints are "worth" ...

as if i will accept their offer once i am enlightened with their 2ndary market value knowledge. :roll:
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:30 pm

if you ship via USPS international first class, be cautious of what the customer is paying versus what you are charged. just had one (non poster related) that the customer paid much less than what it cost, even though listing had calculated shipping. after 35 minutes with customer service, they are issuing me a credit for the difference.
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:36 pm

waitwut
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:43 pm

dont know if its just a one time flaw or if its common. i dont ship a lot internationally these days.

7oz item with calculated international shipping (plus $1 surcharge for packaging). eBay calculated at $8.91 and thats what the buyer paid. went to ship and print the label and cost was $13.30 ($14.00 minus $.70 eBay discount). customer should have paid $14.30. usps.com even calculates at the $14.00 rate. eBay took the fault and is crediting me the difference. just something you might want to keep an eye on if you consistently ship first class international.

1xRun Referral
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:46 pm

Ahh, I gotcha now. I don’t use the calculators, all flat fee, so I didnt know what you were talking about.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
theperfecttree
EB Team

Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:17 pm

tips / best practices on shipping art to UK or EU that needs to be insured for more than $2.5k? That's the max insurance I've seen from USPS.

feels like this has come up here before but I couldn't find an answer. thanks everyone