LEGO - The thread.

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
rmoore
Art Expert

Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:17 pm

starkdesign wrote:Built the new holiday train last night and added the motorized modifications etc. LOVE IT.

Wish they made a better way to hide the cords on the battery etc, but ehh, it'll do. And have it around the tree (with extra track of course, since they really don't give you enough in that set)

My fav part of the set has to be the micro toys, especially the fire engine. Using the minifig skate piece for the wheels on these is killer.

Same here. The kids can't stop playing with it. I'm going to have to replace the batteries like 5 times before Christmas. Also, I bought some straight track on bricklink and made the whole thing a lot bigger.

Lamarider wrote: I bought the instructions for the extra wagons posted on Brickset
by Mouseketeer - Cocoa Wagon is just brilliant!
Thanks for the tip; just bought it! If anybody else is interested in the instructions, they're here: eBay 291947466485
starkdesign
Art Expert

Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:29 pm

rmoore wrote:
starkdesign wrote:Built the new holiday train last night and added the motorized modifications etc. LOVE IT.

Wish they made a better way to hide the cords on the battery etc, but ehh, it'll do. And have it around the tree (with extra track of course, since they really don't give you enough in that set)

My fav part of the set has to be the micro toys, especially the fire engine. Using the minifig skate piece for the wheels on these is killer.

Same here. The kids can't stop playing with it. I'm going to have to replace the batteries like 5 times before Christmas. Also, I bought some straight track on bricklink and made the whole thing a lot bigger.

Lamarider wrote: I bought the instructions for the extra wagons posted on Brickset
Thanks for the tip; just bought it! If anybody else is interested in the instructions, they're here: eBay 291947466485
Those extra cars are SWEET! might have to cobble a few together from extra holiday sets, make this train wrap all the way around the tree lol.

and totally did the same thing you did with the track, added 8 straight tracks to ours so its 2 curved then 1 straight all around, makes it more of a rounded octogon but fit perfectly under the tree and out of the foot traffic path. great minds!
Image New Zelda collection grid, but still need more; gotta keep adding to my collection! Image
bluebirdsong
Art Connoisseur

Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:29 pm

starkdesign wrote:
rmoore wrote:

Those extra cars are SWEET! might have to cobble a few together from extra holiday sets, make this train wrap all the way around the tree lol.

and totally did the same thing you did with the track, added 8 straight tracks to ours so its 2 curved then 1 straight all around, makes it more of a rounded octogon but fit perfectly under the tree and out of the foot traffic path. great minds!
video of this in action please
rmoore
Art Expert

Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:59 pm

bluebirdsong wrote:
It's got a remote so you can control the speed, direction and stopping. Pretty sweet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgiigJHNoCg
schmoff
Art Expert

Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:26 pm

You used 60051 for the engine etc?
rmoore
Art Expert

Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:09 pm

schmoff wrote:You used 60051 for the engine etc?

No, it's the new Holiday Train with the 4 power functions they were selling with it at the Lego Store. 8879, 8884, 88000 and 88002.
schmoff
Art Expert

Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:31 pm

Can much were the power functions? You can get 60051 with all those parts for $105 which would give you extra track too
thescofieldkid
Art Connoisseur

Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:43 pm

Out of curiosity, has anyone priced out the cost of additional train cars (wagons). They look great!

Thanks in advance
Collect them all. Before you Die®
rmoore
Art Expert

Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:11 pm

schmoff wrote:Can much were the power functions? You can get 60051 with all those parts for $105 which would give you extra track too
I think an extra $50 or so? Not exactly sure. I've never had any power functions or trains up until this set.
starkdesign
Art Expert

Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:38 pm

rmoore wrote:
schmoff wrote:Can much were the power functions? You can get 60051 with all those parts for $105 which would give you extra track too
I think an extra $50 or so? Not exactly sure. I've never had any power functions or trains up until this set.
$42 for the three items I needed, 88000 88002 and 8884. I had the remote already, so I feel like that would push it to $60. And extra track would push that up further, but that's not really needed unless you want a wider base.
Image New Zelda collection grid, but still need more; gotta keep adding to my collection! Image
Lamarider
Art Connoisseur

Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:50 am

rmoore wrote:
Most pieces are probably in your collection already, if buying it all from scratch I'm guessing $60-70, the buffer beams, wheelparts + the big red plates being the most expensive.
starkdesign
Art Expert

Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:49 am

For everyone asking, after buying the base Holiday Train set, to upgrade it to power functions, you will need:

https://shop.lego.com/en-US/LEGO-Power- ... -Box-88000

https://shop.lego.com/en-US/LEGO-Power- ... otor-88002

https://shop.lego.com/en-CA/LEGO-Power- ... eiver-8884

https://shop.lego.com/en-US/LEGO-Power- ... ntrol-8879

Also, some were asking about additional tracks. LEGO has them here:
https://shop.lego.com/en-US/Flexible-an ... racks-7499

I hate those flex tracks, but used the straights with this set and had a perfect fit. You could also look for a larger train set and get most if not all of these items in a big bundle, with extra bricks for more train cars like some were suggesting.

hope this helps!
Diabolos80
Art Expert

Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:49 pm

I don't think it's a coincidence that all the train power functions are on backorder for the first time in a while. Maybe Lego should've just put them in the holiday train and charged $130-150?
starkdesign
Art Expert

Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:52 pm

Diabolos80 wrote:I don't think it's a coincidence that all the train power functions are on backorder for the first time in a while. Maybe Lego should've just put them in the holiday train and charged $130-150?
I think they were going for keeping the seasonal stuff in the under a hundred category really. And lots of AFOLs already have the pieces needed (myself included), but I bought extra so none of our trains had to be disassembled.

and the LEGO store had all those items pulled aside for people when checking out, just asked when I was buying it if i wanted the items needed.

But yeah, online, they should have prepared better..
bluebirdsong
Art Connoisseur

Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:29 pm

rmoore wrote:
bluebirdsong wrote:
It's got a remote so you can control the speed, direction and stopping. Pretty sweet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgiigJHNoCg
awesome, thanks for sharing