gif thread of tameness

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:31 pm

Cinlabyrinth wrote:Does any of it really matter? The earth and everything on it won't be around forever anyway :P
#existentialcrisis2016
So it goes...
1000steps
Art Expert

Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:38 am

mistersmith wrote:
PLUSH wrote:And, how do we know this? I think we would kill ourselves before we would ever kill the planet.
That is, for everything that matters, an unimportant distinction.
I deeply and profoundly disagree. What is left after I am gone is of great importance to me.

If humans are destined to wipe ourselves out (which is an open question), the planet can still regenerate itself. Over the span of geologic time, the Earth has rebounded repeatedly from catastrophic planetary disasters. Any discussion of climate change is not about the "fate of the Earth". It is about the fate of our species, and other species sensitive to dramatic fluctuations in living conditions. We are part of a minority in this regard. Most organisms are far more resilient than homo sapiens sapiens.

The incredible resilience of the Earth's planetary system is not widely understood. Over spans of time far outside typical human awareness, planetary feedback mechanisms act relentlessly to eliminate antagonistic conditions and reestablish systemic equilibrium.

In all likelihood, the human race will not wipe itself out. We will evolve to survive the new climatic conditions, as we already have in past times. However, periods of rapid evolutionary change tend to register much higher on the "awful" scale.
Welcome to the sleaze pit
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:40 am

1000steps wrote:
mistersmith wrote:
PLUSH wrote:And, how do we know this? I think we would kill ourselves before we would ever kill the planet.
That is, for everything that matters, an unimportant distinction.
I deeply and profoundly disagree. What is left after I am gone is of great importance to me.

If humans are destined to wipe ourselves out (which is an open question), the planet can still regenerate itself. Over the span of geologic time, the Earth has rebounded repeatedly from catastrophic planetary disasters. Any discussion of climate change is not about the "fate of the Earth". It is about the fate of our species, and other species sensitive to dramatic fluctuations in living conditions. We are part of a minority in this regard. Most organisms are far more resilient than homo sapiens sapiens.

The incredible resilience of the Earth's planetary system is not widely understood. Over spans of time far outside typical human awareness, planetary feedback mechanisms act relentlessly to eliminate antagonistic conditions and reestablish systemic equilibrium.

In all likelihood, the human race will not wipe itself out. We will evolve to survive in the new climatic conditions, as we already have in past times. However, periods of rapid evolutionary change tend to register much higher on the "awful" scale.
What I meant in my post was the scientific knowledge that the sun will eventually (by eventually I mean billions of years) become so swollen that it will overtake and destroy planet earth.
1000steps
Art Expert

Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:45 am

Give us a couple billion years, and humans won't need bodies or planets anymore :lol:
Kramerica
Art Freak

Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:45 am

It has all happened before and it will all happen again.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
1000steps
Art Expert

Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:48 am

Reboots are easy if we are living in a simulation: http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... imulation/
erba
Art Expert

Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:00 pm

Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:23 pm

I just saw that ^ on tv yesterday. The guy was trying to attack the man who murdered his 18 year old daughter (along with 2 other women). The guy was sentenced to death just before that and he made a smile at the dad, who was giving a victim impact statement. Glad to see the guy getting put to death tbh.
jettad
Art Expert

Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:54 pm

Cinlabyrinth wrote:I just saw that ^ on tv yesterday. The guy was trying to attack the man who murdered his 18 year old daughter (along with 2 other women). The guy was sentenced to death just before that and he made a smile at the dad, who was giving a victim impact statement. Glad to see the guy getting put to death tbh.
Also glad to see they did not charge the dad for anything. I wish his fist had connected...
Jasper73
Art Expert

Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:14 pm

1000steps wrote:Reboots are easy if we are living in a simulation: http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... imulation/
Talked about this with colleagues at work.. Very interesting way of looking at life. The topic got on to what if there's multiple programs running to see different outcomes, and our own is to see what happens when you add religion into the equation. You can go down the rabbit hole with these computer generated scenarios.
ImageT.K.C.
theperfecttree
EB Team

Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:15 pm

mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:11 pm

So it goes...
jester
Art Expert

Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:13 am

[/quote]
Not into boxing at all, but that is bad ass!! He's so zen, and calm about it. "FLABSLAB" RIP....
ISO: Any Spusta original sketches, original inkings, or concept drawings. Please PM me to discuss...
TheThirdEye
Art Expert

Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:34 pm

laugh
dskdaniel
Art Expert

Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:41 pm

It looks like her face is about to slide open and reveal Arnold Schwarzenegger. Please someone make a gif of that.
image.jpeg