Beer - trading & discussion

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
kansasbbq
Art God

Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:53 pm

Will do.

I might also try and grab a growler of that Electric Jellyfish that you were bragging about.
Codeblue wrote:#whydidntilisten2kbbq
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:18 pm

kansasbbq wrote:Will do.

I might also try and grab a growler of that Electric Jellyfish that you were bragging about.
It was damn tasty for a cheap, local IPA. Also, I think my favorite was the Brash Pussalia (formerly Pussy Wagon) I had at Flying Saucer. That thing was sooooo juicy.
jlabbate
Art Freak

Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:55 pm

Another other half/trillium collaboration beer goes on sale this weekend at OH...tri-state and new England neckbeards will be out in full force :hanging: ..those collaboration lines are are freakin insane especially for an IPA....hopefully kegs hit the city bars or OH has it on tap next week
relentlesskevin
Art Expert

Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:06 pm

Looks like I got selected for goose island proprietors... Does that mean a road trip?
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:12 pm

I can't believe they are pasteurizing it all this year :neutral:
fluffhead
Art Expert

Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:50 pm

63schoeffling wrote:I can't believe they are pasteurizing it all this year :neutral:
Aside from reducing the risk of infection how do you think this will change it?

Considering most of the effects of aging stouts result from oxidation as opposed to the yeast & bacteria that produce much of the changes in lambics/AWA's, this seems like a smart move and certainly a good business decision so they don't lose their ass again this year.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:11 pm

fluffhead wrote:
63schoeffling wrote:I can't believe they are pasteurizing it all this year :neutral:

Considering most of the effects of aging stouts result from oxidation as opposed to the yeast & bacteria that produce much of the changes in lambics/AWA's, this seems like a smart move and certainly a good business decision so they don't lose their ass again this year.

It means I can't sit and crack any open throughout the year. I might put a freeze on drinking my old ones now because who knows if they will keep pasteurizing year after year now.
fluffhead
Art Expert

Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:27 pm

63schoeffling wrote:
fluffhead wrote:

It means I can't sit and crack any open throughout the year. I might put a freeze on drinking my old ones now because who knows if they will keep pasteurizing year after year now.
Why wouldn't you be able to drink them throughout the year? I would think they will be more stable throughout the year.

All the pasteurization is doing is reducing (or possible entirely removing) the number of living yeast/bacteria in the bottle. Nothing else changes, and aside from yeast dying off and unwanted bacteria causing infection, microorganisms don't really have much of an effect on the aging process of high ABV stouts.

The bacteria shouldn't be there in the first place and most strains of Saccharomyces can't live in a high ABV environment.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:42 pm

I just thought that meant you can't age them, can you? And definitely not for years.
fluffhead
Art Expert

Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:57 pm

63schoeffling wrote:I just thought that meant you can't age them, can you? And definitely not for years.
You can absolutely age them. If anything, I would just expect less change over time than a non-pasteurized beer.

Other BA stouts are pasteurized, for example Deschutes has been pasteurizing The Abyss since their infection issues in 2009. 2010 and 2011 batches have been some of the best releases of that beer IMO and still are great.
chalkdust
Art Expert

Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:22 am

^^ hmm, I did not know this. Good info
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:00 am

People will say that the beer must be unpasteurized to age, and that’s absolutely not true. There’s definitely benefits — it’s typically going to be better for a beer to be unpasteurized or bottle-conditioned because certain off flavors can basically process out and in pasteurized beers it can’t. But there’s plenty of amazing pasteurized beers out there that have proven to age incredibly well, like Rodenbach’s Grand Cru, which is the quintessential Flanders red out of Belgium.

It just changes how it ages. It’s a sour beer and what it means is that since there is no live yeast in there, it won’t continue to get more sour. The souring bacteria and yeast have basically been killed so that will not happen. But it will continue to develop all sorts of different flavors in there.
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
relentlesskevin
Art Expert

Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:59 am

relentlesskevin wrote:Looks like I got selected for goose island proprietors... Does that mean a road trip?
Well looks like Goose Island messed up again... I did not get selected for Proprietors, I was selected for RARE.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:23 am

chalkdust wrote:^^ hmm, I did not know this. Good info
Neither did I and apparently neither did a lot of people that I heard talknig about it, ha. That's good to know... I need to brush up on my chemistry/food science :P
kcn0
Art Expert

Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:27 am

relentlesskevin wrote:Looks like I got selected for goose island proprietors... Does that mean a road trip?
Ugh. No email for me... I was really hoping to win this time around.
Main ISOs: Stout "Pulp Fiction" & anything Phlegm