Beer - trading & discussion

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
morecoffee
Art Expert

Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:08 pm

I'm headed out to San Francisco in September and I wanted to hit some breweries while we're there. Besides Anchor and Russian River, are there any other spots? I've got reservations made at Anchor.
sidewaysscott
Art God

Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:20 pm

Russian River is a little ways away from San Fran...
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
morecoffee
Art Expert

Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:23 pm

sidewaysscott wrote:Russian River is a little ways away from San Fran...
It's an hour or so. I live on the east coast. I couldn't fly out there without stopping at Russian River.
We're driving up to Eureka for a night too.
sidewaysscott
Art God

Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:32 pm

Awesome!!!!
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
mistersmith
Art Freak

Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:51 pm

morecoffee wrote:
It's an hour or so. I live on the east coast. I couldn't fly out there without stopping at Russian River.
At Russian River you have to stand in line twice. First you stand in line to put your name on the list, and then you wait for your name to be called. It's kind of a shitshow.

There are a lot of local breweries that are coming on strong in the SF area. I don't know how many do tours, some could be garages for all I know, but just as many have food and drink on site so it's worth checking them out. Look into...

Social Kitchen & Brewery (SF)
Faction Brewing (East Bay, has a brewpub)
The Rare Barrel (East Bay, all sours)
Pine St. Brewery (SF)
Drake's (East Bay, has a brewpub)
Cellarmaker (SF, the brewery and the pub are in the same place).
Magnolia (SF, Haight St. hippie beer, has a restaurant)
Barrelhead (SF, decent list and 5-6 of their own beers, good food, not near much else except really good Mexican food at Papalote)
21st Amendment (SF, has a pub in SOMA not far from AT&T Park if you're going to a Giants game, but again, get there early if it's a game day to avoid the certainty of a shitshow)

Some of the rest are listed here: http://sfbrewersguild.org/breweries

If you only have time for one beer bar, my vote goes to Hopwater Distribution on Bush between Mason and Taylor streets. Sure, Toronado has Pliny and other great stuff from all over, but Hopwater has 30 taps and a cask and it's ALL only NorCal stuff, from mostly smaller breweries that they're friends with, and it's all killer no filler, so you're going to get stuff there you won't find anywhere else. And usually, whatever's on cask is a one-off experiment from the brewery...I'm in there like 3 times a week just to stay caught up :)

If you want to shop for bottles, in my opinion the two best places are City Beer (SOMA neighborhood, near 8th and Folsom) and the Jug Shop (Russian Hill neighborhood, Polk and Pacific).

If you need Pliny, you can generally get it on tap at Toronado on Haight and in bottles (to drink, not to take) at Minibar on Divisadero.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
reddog76
Art Connoisseur

Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:00 pm

sidewaysscott wrote:Anyone want to send me some beer? :lol:

I do! Check what I have in pics :lol:

Seriously, I'll buy some sours again from you and send some free. You tell me what you want.
dmm8878
Art Expert

Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:50 pm

I moved to western MA from NYC a year ago and finally made it to Tree House today. They will be traveling to Magnaball. :banana:
Julius_AlterEgo.jpg
ottomatik71 wrote:Your punk ass attitude isn't going to help you get this print.
Vytis33
Art Expert

Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:04 pm

Julius rules...nice haul
chalkdust
Art Expert

Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:20 pm

yet another reason for me to be sad about missing Magna :cry:
dmm8878
Art Expert

Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:42 pm

Vytis33 wrote:Julius rules...nice haul
Alter Ego is very similar to Julius. Might be slightly more refined.
ottomatik71 wrote:Your punk ass attitude isn't going to help you get this print.
chalkdust
Art Expert

Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:51 pm

a blood orange variant of Perennial Suburban Beverage was bottled in small amounts and sold some tonight at the tasting room (along with pours on draft) Damn is this stuff delicious! I could've sat there and killed glass after glass, but I started to get pretty shitty. :lol:

so drymounting good..
IMG_20150820-1.jpg
Kingfish
Art Connoisseur

Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:21 pm

morecoffee wrote:I'm headed out to San Francisco in September and I wanted to hit some breweries while we're there. Besides Anchor and Russian River, are there any other spots? I've got reservations made at Anchor.
What types of beers do you like?
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:07 am

sidewaysscott wrote:Anyone want to send me some beer? :lol:

you might want to check your po box. :wink: :pint:
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
Kdh12
Art Freak

Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:07 am

mistersmith wrote:
morecoffee wrote:
At Russian River you have to stand in line twice. First you stand in line to put your name on the list, and then you wait for your name to be called. It's kind of a shitshow.
Only if you want to eat, otherwise stand at the bar... have a drink or two and get some to go.... poof your on your way

Laguanitas is worth it as well
mmmm Beer :pint:
bahns47
Art Connoisseur

Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:23 am

Lagunitas CitruSinensis furthering its place as my new favorite beer of 2015.... Now that the hops have faded a bit, the blood orange really comes through even more noticeably. It almost reminds me of a radler at this point. Sooo refreshing.

Sadly drank my final bottle last night but it was glorious :pint: