Random Posts & Chaos

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
noweyesee
Art Expert

Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:31 pm

Kramerica wrote:
noweyesee wrote:
RottenAtom wrote:I recommend using the global shipping program in the future. Alleviates these kinds of questions. Just ship it to the facility and once it's in their hands your end is done.
Many international buyers actually avoid buying auctions that use that. Those people also open your package and repack your items, and guess who is responsible if theres an issue there?

One thing to note is buyers dont always get hit with the import fees, it varies. Global shipping makes you pay those fees even when they may not apply.
I've sold dozens of prints through gsp and have never had an issue with regard to damage from poor packing. So they are either good at packing prints or the part about them opening and repacking isn't true. I know for a fact they don't do it every time as I have checked in with buyers after they received it and it was packed exactly how I packed it.
Good to know! But I have heard different!

Billy- cant really speak for insurance details, not sure what the limits are these days with usps as theyve changed their policies a lot in the recent years.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:33 pm

There's a reason it's hard to get insurance over that amount. The odds of it getting paid out in full are very low.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
noweyesee
Art Expert

Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:35 pm

I suppose some insurance is better than no insurance, but the best insurance is a well packed print :lol:
hunterjax
Art Expert

Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:37 pm

my two cents on this is do the full amount you sold it for through the USPS . . . either way, any insurance claim is going to be tough to recover like Blue said, but I think dealing with the Post Office is easier than Ebay, just in my personal experience. I've done some selling of vintage toys to Europe for about the same $ amount and USPS was better at dealing with issues than Ebay.
Last edited by hunterjax on Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iambillyg
Art Freak

Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:55 pm

Thanks very much for the answers/advise, everyone. Decided to just go through USPS for everything. Hopefully it works out.
noweyesee
Art Expert

Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:23 pm

iambillyg wrote:Thanks very much for the answers/advise, everyone. Decided to just go through USPS for everything. Hopefully it works out.
Just for my own curiosity, what was the max insurance they allowed amd what method did you ship with? No problem if you cant answer.
sixstringer
Art Expert

Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:27 pm

nom nom nom
cotis
Art Expert

Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:27 pm

item didn't show up, filed a claim billy. see you in ebay court.
iambillyg
Art Freak

Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:36 pm

noweyesee wrote:
iambillyg wrote:Thanks very much for the answers/advise, everyone. Decided to just go through USPS for everything. Hopefully it works out.
Just for my own curiosity, what was the max insurance they allowed amd what method did you ship with? No problem if you cant answer.
$5000 was the max.

Used Priority Express International; 4 inch Yazoo inside of a 5inch PVC tube. Just hoping that it doesn't get inspected, due to the risk of customs agents drymounted up the contents.
cotis wrote:item didn't show up, filed a claim billy. see you in ebay court.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:40 pm

hunterjax wrote:my two cents on this is do the full amount you sold it for through the USPS . . . either way, any insurance claim is going to be tough to recover like Blue said, but I think dealing with the Post Office is easier than Ebay, just in my personal experience. I've done some selling of vintage toys to Europe for about the same $ amount and USPS was better at dealing with issues than Ebay.
If its that expensive, drymount USPS. Third party that fudge. Filing a claim with USPS is a drymounting joke. I have had them lose packages and deny my insurance claim. Insurance via USPS is a waste of got damn money.
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
lujborg
Art Expert

Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:39 pm

earlgreytoast wrote:IME, euros buying expensive pieces over 2k really don’t give a fudge about having to pay another 200 or 300 to get their piece. Hope you at least had a line in your listing that indicates import fees are the responsibility of the buyer?

you don't have to indicate this anymore (for a while now), ebay has your back.

ps pack like a champ and send that fudge 1st class as a $25 gift.
noweyesee wrote: Those people also open your package and repack your items, and guess who is responsible if theres an issue there?

not the seller! probably 10% of what i send through GSP the buyer ends up getting a full refund on ebay's dime and gets to keep the item. they suck at handling goods, especially prints.
I'm here for the oil palm breeding (international society member, since 2003)
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:25 pm

So you're using GSP and not using GSP?
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
noweyesee
Art Expert

Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:42 pm

So they do drymount up yr prints, but end up covering the costs? That doesn’t sound like a good business model...
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:47 pm

Also sounds like a good way to get bad feedback from a tardy buyer.
gorkie
Art Freak

Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:09 pm

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. - Thoreau
@gorkieartdogma on Instagram