Random Posts & Chaos

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
jjbehren
Flipper

Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:01 pm

Lol. No, this was a mouse. Just a really big one. And by "really big" I mean the body was about 4" long. But the ones I was catching in St. Paul were only about 2" long.
DarthHippie
Art Expert

Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:07 pm

Got the mother drymounter... Now to see if there are more. Went and bought mouse traps at 3 in the morning... baited them with some peanut butter and about 15 minutes later heard a snap.
jjbehren
Flipper

Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:27 pm

DarthHippie wrote:Got the mother drymounter... Now to see if there are more. Went and bought mouse traps at 3 in the morning... baited them with some peanut butter and about 15 minutes later heard a snap.
PB works well, but they drymounting love Nutella.

Also, I one time killed one in my pantry myself. No traps needed. The little bastard was in the pantry and his head was right at the end of the track for a pull-out drawer. I took a small wooden pasta drying rack dowel, lined it up with the track, and launched it as hard as I could. Boom. Dead.

That sounds like I'm a bit psycho, I know, but I'm cool. Just trying to keep the mice out of my pantry, which ultimately proved to be impossible. This house was built in 1890 and the kitchen was an addition off the back that was built around 1910. One of the pantry walls shared what used to be the pre-addition exterior wall of the house. The little buggers must have tunneled into the crawl space below the pantry. We moved, so not my problem anymore.
gorkie
Art Freak

Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:48 pm

DarthHippie wrote:Got the mother drymounter... Now to see if there are more. Went and bought mouse traps at 3 in the morning... baited them with some peanut butter and about 15 minutes later heard a snap.
We had a little bit of a rat problem in our backyard in Chicago one summer so I went out and bought some of those flat glue trap things. Put a couple of them in the backyard with some chopped up nuts in the middle and the next day each glue trap had a rat on it. One of them was dead already, but the other one was still alive and stuck and on his back. I went to get the shovel from the garage to put him out of his misery and when I came around with it to whack him and kill him I swear to God he looked at me upside down on his back and the little fudge screamed at me when he saw me with the shovel coming towards him. I am serious. It was one of the freakiest things I have ever experienced. That rat knew he was about to bite it and he friggin SCREAMED.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. - Thoreau
@gorkieartdogma on Instagram
jjbehren
Flipper

Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:50 pm

And?
DarthHippie
Art Expert

Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:52 pm

dwyutzey wrote:
DarthHippie wrote:I HAVE A drymounting MOUSE IN MY HOUSE!!!
Ha! Get a cat?
I have a cat lady living across the street. Seriously. Like the police show up every year to see how many she has. I'd ask to borrow one, but I don't really want her to think we are friends.
taylorph
Art Expert

Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:54 pm

We've been having a problem with the monster suburban rats here recently. The buggers are impervious to any of the traps I've tried.

In our barn in CO were used to getting a bunch of little mice. This summer I put up a few glue traps, went inside for 5 mins to toke and when I came back I had 4 trapped already. Just tossed them outside for the coyotes because I didn't have the heart to smash em all after getting sky high
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...
gorkie
Art Freak

Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:57 pm

jjbehren wrote:And?
Oh sorry. He still got whacked. I was just shaking a bit as I whacked him. He had to go. They were building nests under our wooden platform deck out back and romping around in the lush garden and fountain like they were living in the Garden of Eden.

One day in the very early evening in the fall I opened up the French doors that lead out to the backyard and I hear some crunching on the leaves in the backyard. I look up and see this rat start hop hop hopping on the leaves towards the open French doors like he thought it was an invitation to come in to the house for dinner or something.

It was really getting out of control.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. - Thoreau
@gorkieartdogma on Instagram
cactusphunk
Art Connoisseur

Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:19 pm

If any of you ever have raccoons you're trying to scare away, cayenne pepper actually works wonders
"Youre talking a lot, but youre not saying anything"
IWish
Art Expert

Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:27 pm

One of the worst things about being a homeowner is getting rid of an occasional rodent. I stopped chasing lizards out of the house - not worth the effort.
machination
EB Team Emeritus

Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:37 pm

The only thing my partner's cat is good for.
Mapman
Art Expert

Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:45 pm

Damn chipmunks have taken up residence all around our foundation. Luckily they are pretty harmless, they do occasionally get themselves trapped in the garage and die though, which is real fun to deal with... :vomit:
Cragars
Art Expert

Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:03 pm

cactusphunk wrote:If any of you ever have raccoons you're trying to scare away, cayenne pepper actually works wonders
We have a few that frequent the backyard. Went out one night when they were whooping and saw one on the roof by the chimney. Then I saw another pair of eyes under it and realized they were banging on my roof. They froze mid pump and just stared at me. Didn't wanna block the little dude so I just went inside.
maden
Art Expert

Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:04 pm

Mapman wrote:Damn chipmunks have taken up residence all around our foundation. Luckily they are pretty harmless, they do occasionally get themselves trapped in the garage and die though, which is real fun to deal with... :vomit:
Most adorable infestation ever.
We'll kill the fatted calf tonight, so stick around

Mapman
Art Expert

Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:20 pm

Cragars wrote:
cactusphunk wrote:If any of you ever have raccoons you're trying to scare away, cayenne pepper actually works wonders
We have a few that frequent the backyard. Went out one night when they were whooping and saw one on the roof by the chimney. Then I saw another pair of eyes under it and realized they were banging on my roof. They froze mid pump and just stared at me. Didn't wanna block the little dude so I just went inside.
I probably would have thrown something at em....

So one night my dogs are barking like crazy but right by the patio door. Well we get one dog in, but the other one will NOT come in. Problem was it was raining like crazy so we didn't want to go out to drag him in. Well I finally had to go out and get him, only to realize there was the biggest damn racoon I've ever seen hanging out on the fence which was about 3 feet away from the door, but around the edge of the house and out of view of the door. Scared the crap out of me, grabbed the dog and ran in. Didn't let the dogs back out that night. :shock: