Page 57 of 66

Re: Coupon Code Update Thread

Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:51 pm
by IWish
Too bad I'm broke...I've been wanting this cabinet for a long time. Good price!

HOME DEPOT
Martha Stewart Living
Craft Space 42 in. W 8-Drawer Flat File Cabinet in Silhouette


Was $449.00
$224.50 /each

Save $224.50 (50%) through 11/26/2016 (SALE ENDS TODAY)



Image

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Martha-Stewa ... /207087815

Re: Coupon Code Update Thread

Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:39 pm
by sendit2d
IWish wrote:Too bad I'm broke...I've been wanting this cabinet for a long time. Good price!

HOME DEPOT
Martha Stewart Living
Craft Space 42 in. W 8-Drawer Flat File Cabinet in Silhouette


Was $449.00
$224.50 /each

Save $224.50 (50%) through 11/26/2016 (SALE ENDS TODAY)



Image

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Martha-Stewa ... /207087815

Does anyone know if these flat files ok to store art in being that they're 30% poplar, 70% MDF?

Is MDF bad for storing paper in?...

MDF is typically made up of 82% wood fibre, 9% urea-formaldehyde resin glue, 8% water and 1% paraffin wax. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium-density_fibreboard)

Re: Coupon Code Update Thread

Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:25 pm
by IWish
If I was able to buy one - I would put all my prints in sleeves, so no paper will touch the inside of the cabinet.

You don't want wood touching your paper either, but people use wood frames and wood cabinets. No dif, really, if your paper is protected.

Maybe someone else will chime-in. I'd use the cabinet for sure if I could get one. But...that's just me.

Re: Coupon Code Update Thread

Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:56 pm
by fdi1001
Wood is naturally acidic so yes it harmful for prints, and yes that includes wood picture frames. In the case of a wood picture frame the mat helps keep the print away from the frame and if is a museum level framing job the inside of the frame we will also be covered with a barrier tape. In the case of the wood cabinet just make sure your prints are inside of protective bags. Here are a couple examples of both:

Bags:
https://www.framedestination.com/framin ... e-372.html

Frame sealing tape:
https://www.framedestination.com/photo- ... -bags.html

Re: Coupon Code Update Thread

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:25 pm
by IWish
Thanks for posting, fdi. You've confirmed what I thought...just protect the paper and everything will be fine.

Re: Coupon Code Update Thread

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:05 pm
by halftonegraphics
$15 off $75+ on eBay. flash sale. ends at 6pm pt. code is cyberflash16.

Re: Coupon Code Update Thread

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:53 pm
by ciphe
halftonegraphics wrote:$15 off $75+ on eBay. flash sale. ends at 6pm pt. code is cyberflash16.

tI was just placing an order for a retropie 3 and decided to check EB before checking out I'm glad I did, thanks!

Re: Coupon Code Update Thread

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:08 pm
by rubberneck
fdi1001 wrote:Wood is naturally acidic so yes it harmful for prints, and yes that includes wood picture frames. In the case of a wood picture frame the mat helps keep the print away from the frame and if is a museum level framing job the inside of the frame we will also be covered with a barrier tape. In the case of the wood cabinet just make sure your prints are inside of protective bags. Here are a couple examples of both:

Bags:
https://www.framedestination.com/framin ... e-372.html

Frame sealing tape:
https://www.framedestination.com/photo- ... -bags.html
Exactly why these are detrimental to prints. Barely fit an unsleeved 24x36. Add scuffing where they remain unsleeved and get slid in.

Said it on FB yesterday, a lot of real estate for only 4 shelves. Get an industrial flatfile instead.

Re: Coupon Code Update Thread

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:18 pm
by IWish
Doesn't matter, since the sale is over. The industrial flat files are ugly. I guess if you have a dedicated room for prints they wouldn't look so bad. I don't, so would need something more attractive...something that looks more like furniture. (Even if it is cheap furniture.)

Re: Coupon Code Update Thread

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:23 pm
by rubberneck
IWish wrote:Doesn't matter, since the sale is over. The industrial flat files are ugly. I guess if you have a dedicated room for prints they wouldn't look so bad. I don't, so would need something more attractive...something that looks more like furniture. (Even if it is cheap furniture.)
So it's interior decorating first, functionality and print condition second?

Re: Coupon Code Update Thread

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:32 pm
by IWish
C'mon. I know how to take care of my prints regardless of what cabinet I use. So, I guess I'm looking for the best of both worlds (within my budget). Functionality and fairly nice to look at.

Re: Coupon Code Update Thread

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:36 pm
by mfaith
Nice holiday avatar RN. :lol: Are you making em for everyone this year?

Re: Coupon Code Update Thread

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:38 pm
by mfaith
Also, from what I've heard wood cabinets aren't archive safe. Wood gives off fumes over time that'll harm paper. Most bags you get aren't air tight, and won't protect you from that... I personally would avoid wood flat files.

Re: Coupon Code Update Thread

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:43 pm
by IWish
True. Same fumes in wood frames. Will I stop using them? No.

Re: Coupon Code Update Thread

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:46 pm
by rubberneck
Yeah, avoiding wood is a bit ott, for movie posters in sealed sleeved bags imo